Adding maps to my new Garmin 64s

Hello friends,

I am new to caching and to G.P.S. I received some helpful advice in the getting started forum, that led me to purchase the Garmin 64s. I ordered the Garmin N.E. 24k topo from G.P.S. city, (both items are still in transit). My next move was to try and download a free dedicated trail map for the N.E. This one, Jim Bensman’s free MyTrails map. Well I soon learned it was not as straight forward as I would have hoped. After downloading the necessary programs I tried my best to follow the long list of instructions. To make a long story shorter, I came out with what should be a google earth file for one section of my trails (map.kmz). I was feeling confident at this point, my confidence waned at the final step. All that was left was to import the file into base camp. Well base camp chokes on the file and freezes with the progress bar just going and going. defeated on my first attempt, thinking I bit off more than I could chew. Sorry for the ramble, short question, Can anyone recommend a pay for dedicated trail map of the N.E. Garmin 64s compatible out of the box? I am going to MA. in September, I like to take my Jeep grand Cherokee on some very mild off road adventures (logging roads and such). Thanks for any help.

Will F.

This map? http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/53

Not sure what you are doing. There are no long list of instructions.

There are two links on the page. Download Windows Version [17MB] and Download Mac Version [17MB]. With the Windows version, you get an exe file. Run that and the maps are installed into Basecamp. You can then install the GPS like any other maps. With the MAC, follow the steps here: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-maps-on-my-garmin-gps-unit/#mac

Red,

That is the map, once I clicked on the windows download You get a readme file. You need to first edit the chosen section of the map in GPSmapedit. Then get the map.kmz file you create into basecamp. What I like about this trail map is it a transparent lay over on the 24k map.

Maps by Jim Bensman jbensman1@charter.net

Copyright Jim Bensman 2014.

You may now use the following procedure to extract data from My Trails for personal noncommercial use. You may not recompile it into something else. You may not redistribute the data. While this is primarily meant for use in BaseCamp or on your GPS, you may also use it in other programs like GoogleEarth as long as the use is noncommercial personal use. Some of the data has been provided on the requirement that it will only be used for non-commercial use so I must maintain this requirement. Some states also contain OSM data which is copyright OpenStreetMap.org contributors.

Go to www.geopainting.com/ and download and run the installer for GPSMapEdit.

Steps in GPSMapEdit

In the file menu, select open.

Then go to C:\Garmin\My Trails\ and open one of the *.img files

(Note: I have a list at the end that lists what states are in each img file, so open the img file for the state you are interested in.)

Ctrl 0 will make everything display

In the edit menu, select, by type, then check all and uncheck walkway trails

Everything should be selected except the trails, press OK, then hit the delete key

In the file menu, select export and then select GoogleEarth

Give the file a name and save it.

(Notes: 1) You can do the same thing with any line (like unpaved roads) or POI (parking, water, bathrooms, etc.) in the file. Just do them one at a time or BaseCamp clumps them all together. 2) The files will also open in GoogleEarth.

Steps in BaseCamp:

Open BaseCamp

Under library, click on the folder you want to import the tracks into.

Under file menu, select import in (folder) then select the GoogleEarth file you just created.

It takes a while, but all trails will import as tracks.

Now you can view the trails on top of any other map in BaseCamp.

You can also send the tracks to your GPS and then follow the track. This is much better than a routable trail on the map. This tells about the feature:

http://garmin.blogs.com/softwareupdates/2009/12/getting-more-out-of-track-navigation.html#.U8f0InlOVD8

Here is the process for that:

The map compiler breaks down trails into segments. So you will need to join segments into a single track. Select the tracks to join, and then right click and select join the tracks (in the list of tracks on the left, press cntrl to select multiple tracks), and then right click and select join the tracks. When you click join selected tracks a dialog box will popup with all the selected tracks. Be sure you click on each one and check that they are in the correct end-to-end order and make one solid line. If one is out of order then you can click the arrow buttons on the left to move them up and down that list. Once they are in order and make one solid track then you click 'Ok' to create the new track. The new track will be added to the list on the left but the name will not be anything that makes sense. To rename the new track, right click the name and select 'rename'.

You also want to make sure the track is going in the correct direction. You can double click on the track and bring up track properties, then you can click on the points and see what direction they are going. If it is going in the wrong direction, click on the invert button.

Then select the track and under file select export and export it as a gpx.

Other steps:

Go to: http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/elevation

Select the gpx file to upload than select convert and add elevation and have the output gpx.

This adds the best elevation data to the track. This will allow your GPS to identify high and low points on the trail (and tell you distance to them). It will also allow your GPS to tell you how many feet it is to the high point, end, etc. It will also allow the GPS to draw a vertical profile. If you have a T version, the GPS will add this data automatically, but this website has much more accurate elevation data. So always use this step.

Then load the gpx file on your GPS. Place the gpx file in the \garmin\gpx\ folder.

On the find/Where to/goto menu on the GPS, select track and then select the track you loaded.

Here is a list of what states are in each img file:

CO Trails 00000124.img

Dakotas 00001276.img

DC-MD-PA-DE-NJ Trails 00000258.img

FL Trails 00001268.img

GA Trails 00001270.img

HI Trails 00001269.img

IL/MO Trails 0000117.img

IN Trails 00001137.img

Iowa Trails 00001134.img

KS Trails 00001273.img

KY Trails 00000257.img

LA-MS-AL Trails 00001272.img

ME-NH-VT-CT-MA-RI Trails 00001265.img

MI Trails 00001267.img

MN Trails 00000259.img

NM Trails 00001261.img

North-South Carolina Trails 00001271.img

NY Trails 00001275.img

OH Trails 00001123.img

TN Trails 00001138.img

VA Trails 00001124.img

WI Trails 00001274.img

WV Trails 00001263.img

WY Trails 00001264.img

Edited by wfalzon

in September, I like to take my Jeep grand Cherokee on some very mild off road adventures (logging roads and such). Thanks for any help.

Will F.

If you are not going to get out of the car, any compatible up to date street map is likely to route you to within a few miles of your off road adventures. Such a map may or may not include a routable trace for even the Appalachian Trail, but that is primarily to keep you from routing your car on it.

I don't have any Garmin handheld gps devices, as I use the Delorme PN-40/60 models with bundled Topo maps, but can someone clarify for me how the Garmin 64s, for instance, handles off road trail routing? Do you only have two options, other than direct point to point, with the Garmin handhelds?:

1) Following automobile roads

2) Following (including backtracking) pre-recorded gps track logs

Thanks

Edit: It looks like wfalzon answered the question while I was making comparisons of maps from computer and an automobile routing device. If I understand the procedure above, he is giving directions on re-joining the trail line segments to create long Garmin track logs. On the other hand, Delorme Trail Layer vector line users, and some others, may need to break long track logs into segments no longer than 10 miles in length to make the trail routing algorithm work.

Edited by 39_Steps

The readme file that is shown above is for people that want to extract data for other (advanced) uses. It is not for the average user that simply wants to use the maps. If you ran the exe file, then the maps are in Basecamp. Click on the "Maps" tab in Basecamp and you should see "My Trails".

Holly crap! I was just about to reboot, (the only way I could get basecamp to close yesterday after trying to up load the map.) Basecamp has been running I want to say since 8am est. this morning working on the download. Low and behold the trails are there! I feel so proud!

Here is a screen shot of one section of #1265. Wow this thing has a lot of trails. I can't wait to see it over the 24k! I don't know if this is permissible, or possible, I would be glad to share the basecamp friendly trails. However I would first have to learn how. I am sure I will have questions once I get to the point of transferring the trails maps to my GPS. Thanks guys! :Dhttp://i794.photobucket.com/albums/yy228/willslick/map.png

Hello friends,

I am at the point were I can view the tracks in basecamp. I do not understand these next set of instructions, or if I need to continue in order to use the maps on the hand held? This is a lot to digest, I know I am putting the cart before the horse, I don't even know how to use basecamp yet.

Now you can view the trails on top of any other map in BaseCamp.

You can also send the tracks to your GPS and then follow the track. This is much better than a routable trail on the map. This tells about the feature:

http://garmin.blogs....ml#.U8f0InlOVD8

Here is the process for that:

The map compiler breaks down trails into segments. So you will need to join segments into a single track. Select the tracks to join, and then right click and select join the tracks (in the list of tracks on the left, press cntrl to select multiple tracks), and then right click and select join the tracks. When you click “join selected tracks” a dialog box will popup with all the selected tracks. Be sure you click on each one and check that they are in the correct end-to-end order and make one solid line. If one is out of order then you can click the arrow buttons on the left to move them up and down that list. Once they are in order and make one solid track then you click 'Ok' to create the new track. The new track will be added to the list on the left but the name will not be anything that makes sense. To rename the new track, right click the name and select 'rename'.

You also want to make sure the track is going in the correct direction. You can double click on the track and bring up track properties, then you can click on the points and see what direction they are going. If it is going in the wrong direction, click on the invert button.

Then select the track and under file select export and export it as a gpx.

Other steps:

Go to: http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/elevation

Select the gpx file to upload than select convert and add elevation and have the output gpx.

This adds the best elevation data to the track. This will allow your GPS to identify high and low points on the trail (and tell you distance to them). It will also allow your GPS to tell you how many feet it is to the high point, end, etc. It will also allow the GPS to draw a vertical profile. If you have a T version, the GPS will add this data automatically, but this website has much more accurate elevation data. So always use this step.

Then load the gpx file on your GPS. Place the gpx file in the \garmin\gpx\ folder.

On the find/Where to/goto menu on the GPS, select track and then select the track you loaded.

Edited by wfalzon

Red,

The advantage to following the first part of the read me, is that you can pick which trails you want to upload correct? I still have to add #1275 and #258. If all goes well, I will be a happy camper! As per your reply I will skip the second part. I am wondering what the one you uploaded with the execute file looks like, without deleting all the other roads?

Thanks for your help

Will F.

Edited by wfalzon

Just install the maps and you get all of the trails on your GPS. No need to make things complicated. If there are any of your own trails you want to see, they can be uploaded as track to the GPS in Basecamp very quickly.

That readme is an insane complicated way to do something that you do not need. The author could have easily provided the maps in GPX format for other insane people that want them in that format and there are much simpler way to do it than the method he shows.