Mapsource Version

K7CJS

The current version of City Navigator is 2016.10. You can purchase it from the Garmin website.

MapSource is just a program on your pc for managing your maps and your gpsr. You can find the software version of MS in Help --> Info. The most recent version is 6.16.3, but Garmin stopped the development of MS and focused on BaseCamp.

I got my 60cx in 2007 and never updated the mapping software: City Navigator N.A. NT 2008 Aug. How do I update that software? And how to I find the version number of the one I have installed now?

Since your 60cx supports it you might consider using the Free routeable Open Street Maps for Garmin. http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

As suggested you can also migrate from MapSource to BaseCamp and can use it to manage all your maps.

Since your 60cx supports it you might consider using the Free routeable Open Street Maps for Garmin. http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

As suggested you can also migrate from MapSource to BaseCamp and can use it to manage all your maps.

Will Open Street Maps works well for geocaching?

I'll have to look at BaseCamp as I don't know anything about it...for geocaching?

I let my geocaching lag for a few years but am now full-time RVing so am back at it and thought I might need to upgrade. Thanks for all your help as I've been out of the loop for awhile.

I'll have to look at BaseCamp as I don't know anything about it...for geocaching?

I let my geocaching lag for a few years but am now full-time RVing so am back at it and thought I might need to upgrade. Thanks for all your help as I've been out of the loop for awhile.

I like the open source maps a lot. At least in my area, many of the trails are shown on the map, which in some cases have helped with choosing the best route. I continue to use Mapsource -- although some people have reported errors because it is no longer supported -- it is easier for me to load maps through that than basecamp/mapinstall. You can also download the open source .img maps and install them directly without using either program, but with the 60csx you can have only one map file.

Since I manage caches, filter, map, and load them to my gpsr, using an iOS app, the other features of basecamp have no interest for me. But many find it useful.

I used them in several countries and they work great. There are the occasional glitches as a trail in the woods that's missing on the map but overall they are more than sufficient for caching. Remember that open source means you can add information if you come across missing paths/trails.

Yes, the OSM maps work quite well for geocaching. They might not represent the terrain as well as Topo maps but they're quite good. I don't use them for geocaching locally but I've probably used them in over a dozen different countries while traveling. Basecamp can be used for managing maps as well as managing waypoints (geocaches). It's a free download *and* there are PC and MAC versions.

I checked on Open Street Maps. My Garmin can only handle one map at a time. Is each state a separate map?

Do I want the "Generic Routable?"

Clearly I'll have to do more reading on the website (OSM) tonight.

The best thing about the site is that you can create one map made up of multiple tiles, and the tiles do not have to be contiguous.

Leave the "Generic Routable" box as is, as well as the "Select Typ" list.

Instead of Choosing a pre-defined country check the box labeled: Enable manual tile selection

Now can use the map control to zoom and pan the map. Note how the map has an overlay with rectangles outlined in blue. Each rectangle can be selected by clicking on it (it will turn blue to indicate that its selected). You can also click, and drag to select multiple tiles. Once you have all of area of the map you want, enter your email address and submit. You'll get an email message indicates that your request has been received and a second one (how long that takes depends on how many requests have been made before yours) with a link to download the files. One of the files will a .img file that you can copy directly to your GPS. Don't go crazy and select a huge area. You can always come back and create another mapset.

As I said, the tiles you select do not have to be contiguous. For example, a few years ago I went to a conference in Malaysia (on the Borneo island part of Malaysia). I had an overnight layover in Singapore and a 7 hour layover in Tokyo on the way home. When I created the mapset I selected several tiles in the area of Malaysia I as visiting, a few which covered Singapore, and a couple near the airport in Tokyo. That created one mapset I could use for the entire trip and didn't include any map areas I wouldn't need.

You'll get an email message indicates that your request has been received and a second one (how long that takes depends on how many requests have been made before yours) with a link to download the files. One of the files will a .img file that you can copy directly to your GPS. Don't go crazy and select a huge area. You can always come back and create another mapset.

There was no .img file. These are the files at the designated link:

tiles.txt

osm_generic_windows.exe

osm_generic_tiles.zip

osm_generic_macosx.zip

osm_generic_gmapsupp.zip

license.txt

buildlog.txt

63240000_license.txt

63240000.nsi

I opened osm_generic_gmapsupp.zip and it was a ton of .img files...I think one for each tile.

What did I do wrong?

I opened osm_generic_gmapsupp.zip and it was a ton of .img files...I think one for each tile.

That's the right zip file. Was one of the .img files named "gmapsupp.img"? That's the particular file you want. I haven't used that method for a while, but I don't remember it coming with a whole bunch of .img files. If the gmapsupp.img file is in there, just ignore the rest.

That's the right zip file. Was one of the .img files named "gmapsupp.img"? That's the particular file you want. I haven't used that method for a while, but I don't remember it coming with a whole bunch of .img files. If the gmapsupp.img file is in there, just ignore the rest.

When I downloaded the zip file I opened it and got osm_generic_new_windows.exe. When I clicked on that (the .exe file) is when I got all the img files - all files names where a string of numbers (63240111.img). So, I went back to the email link to retrieve the osm_generic_gmapsupp.zip file and the link is no good even though they say it will be good for 48 hours (has only been 24 hours). I wanted to examine the unzipped file again to see if the gmapsupp.img was there. So, now I've put in another request and will look at the new zip files for the gmapsupp.img file. OH SH*T: I just got the new link and it's already expired!!!!! Grrrrrrr. Somethings not right here. I'll try again and get back to you....please hang in there as you're the only one trying to help me with the issue.

OK, it's downloading now.....I'll be right back

Edited by GVJeeper

When I downloaded the zip file I opened it and got osm_generic_new_windows.exe. When I clicked on that (the .exe file) is when I got all the img files - all files names where a string of numbers (63240111.img). So, I went back to the email link to retrieve the osm_generic_gmapsupp.zip file and the link is no good even though they say it will be good for 48 hours (has only been 24 hours). I wanted to examine the unzipped file again to see if the gmapsupp.img was there. So, now I've put in another request and will look at the new zip files for the gmapsupp.img file. OH SH*T: I just got the new link and it's already expired!!!!! Grrrrrrr. Somethings not right here. I'll try again and get back to you....please hang in there as you're the only one trying to help me with the issue.

IT WORKED!!!

I opened the zipped file and there it was. I transferred gmapsupp.imp to a microSD which I then put into my Garmin. I then called up Geocaches and picked one and there is was ON A MAP.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!

IT WORKED!!!

I opened the zipped file and there it was. I transferred gmapsupp.imp to a microSD which I then put into my Garmin. I then called up Geocaches and picked one and there is was ON A MAP.

Awesome! I'm glad you got it to work. The OpenStreetMap data is constantly evolving and improving, and the maps based off of it have gotten pretty good (at least in some areas). It's all I use.

IT WORKED!!!

Glad to see that it worked. I don't know what was going on with the expired links. I just downloaded a mapset for Rome and Milan, Italy last night and it worked as it always has for me.

The osm_generic_new_windows.exe file is basically a self-extracting executable that creates a .img file for each "tile". After running it you can use BaseCamp or MapSource to view the same mapset in that application and then "send" the mapset to your GPS. I'll occasionally use that to preview the maps (and you can import a PQ of caches into Basecamp/Mapsource as well) on my laptop prior to traveling.