Canadian Maritime Heritage Sites - Category Proposals

25,700 photos and 37 days later BK-Hunters have returned from their Maritime Odyssey with an observation.

The maritimes were the first area in Canada to be settled by Europeans, giving them the longest recorded histories of any Canadian provinces or territories. The maritimes are replete with heritage sites, from private residences to forts to churches to civic buildings and everything in between. This is evidenced by 25,700 photos taken in less than 30 days. (Over a week of our trip included stops in BC and Alberta.) Strangely, though, only one of the four, Nova Scotia, has a "Heritage Properties" category. We propose to right 2/3 of those wrongs with the introduction of two categories: "New Brunswick Heritage Properties" & "Prince Edward Island Heritage Properties".

Why not the third, "Newfoundland Heritage Properties"? We were able to tour Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island and Maine, but didn't make it to Newfoundland, and so know essentially nothing about it. We'll leave that for a future foray or for someone more knowledgeable than us.

For two reasons, I would prefer to style the categories after the single extant one, Nova Scotia Heritage Properties.

1. It creates uniformity among the maritime province categories, affording simpler posting - one need not remember arcane and pedantic rules which may differ from one category to another.

2. I happen to like the manner in which the "Nova Scotia Heritage Properties" is styled - clean, simple, easy to understand. Also, it allows the inclusion of essentially ALL heritage properties which have been designated, whether provincially or municipally.

One exception I would make is the requirement of the inclusion of the URL of the database page containing the property's listing.

And that's all there is to it.

Idea: Write to the leader enviroguy (Dan) and ask him if it would be okay to rename "Nova Scotia Heritage Properties" in "Maritimes - Canadian Maritime Heritage Sites" and include the other provinces or territories. He can promote you to an officer and give you the rights to work on the category description. Normally I wouldn't change long existing categories but in this case it makes really sense, since 2010 are listed only 14 Waymarks. So I see no difficulties in doing so. The category icon will be fixed easily.

That is a thought, Andreas, but one which I don't find particularly palatable. Though there are only 14 (16 actually, two of mine have not yet been approved) posts to Nova Scotia, that will soon pick up. Every state in the US and all other Canadian provinces have their own unique categories. Though each of the maritime provinces is small they each have a very high number of heritage sites per capita, due to their long histories.

To date Nova Scotia has over 1,000, with more added each year. New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island each have as many, again with more being added each year. So ... there isn't a shortage of potential waymarks, only waymarked sites. As more waymarkers tour the area, they will eventually flesh out the numbers. BK-Hunters alone could post around 1,000 in the three provinces from photos we have.

Thanks for your input, Andreas.

Over the time this changed, we made one category for Germany: "German Monumnet Registers", one category for Switzerland + Austria. Imagine we've had created one category for Bavaria, one for Hessen, etc, etc (16). I.m.o. this would really end up with too many categories. I can remember the discussion as we created the "European Post Offices", the category runs fine, we get submissions from many different countries. Let's see what other Waymarkers have to say. :laughing:

Let's see what other Waymarkers have to say.

That's a good idea, Andreas.

What's your opinion, Waymarkers?

After considerable consideration, I feel that it matters only that these provinces with oodles of history have a home on Waymarking. The nature of the home is less important than its actual existence. I would be just as happy to adopt Andreas' initial suggestion as to create new categories.

So ... ... tell us what you think: New categories or enlarge the existing one?

I must say I agree with lumbricus, if each country has a national heritage category and them one more for each state is exaggerated. For example Spain it has a national heritage category, it would be exaggerated to create one more for each state (17 more) The same applies to the other countries.

As leader of the Spanish national heritage category i'm compiling information about the state heritage registers to consider extending the category to accept the state heritage registers databases.

Just got a letter from Enviroguy indicating that expanding the "Nova Scotia Heritage Properties" category would be quite satisfactory to him.

If he's willing to go that way, so are we.

BTW, this would be a quick and easy to include Newfoundland & Labrador, as well.

Opinions, Pro or Con???

Just got a letter from Enviroguy indicating that expanding the "Nova Scotia Heritage Properties" category would be quite satisfactory to him.

If he's willing to go that way, so are we.

BTW, this would be a quick and easy to include Newfoundland & Labrador, as well.

Opinions, Pro or Con???

Nice! I would include all which make sense. If you have changed the category description, post the new name of the category here, an admin do the change.

OK= so the AYES have it.

The "Nova Scotia Heritage Properties" category has been expanded, rewritten and the name changed to

"Atlantic Canada Heritage Properties" to encompass the maritime provinces, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island, as well as Newfoundland & Labrador. Though the name change doesn't seem to have taken hold yet, the category is up and running and accepting new waymarks.

I see we still need to find a more appropriate icon. We'll get to it one day...

Also, we are in need of one more good officer, as there are only two active at this time. Any takers?

Also, we are in need of one more good officer, as there are only two active at this time. Any takers?

I'm interested, and Canadian if that matters. I just found this thread now. Thanks BK-Hunters for the effort with this. BTW, I just returned from your "neck of the woods" and will be posting some waymarks and visits for the East Kootenay region when I get a chance.