Can't log in to Wherigo.com

Nylimb

Recently I've been unable to log in to Wherigo.com, so I can't download any cartridges for the area that I'm currently visiting. I had no trouble doing so last year, using the same computer and browsers, but now I get error messages. Specifically, I'm using an iMac running OS X 10.6.8, and using Safari version 5.1.10. From a Wherigo cartridge page, like Psychedelic Tree, I click on the "Sign In" link in the upper right corner. I get this error message:

Safari can't open the page.
Safari can't open the page "http://www.Wherigo.com/login/default.aspx?
ReturnUrl=/cartridge/details.aspx?CGUID=3b77932f-4dd4-4c01-b86f-
1fc2ebba864c" because Safari can't establish a secure connection to the server
"www.Wherigo.com".

I've also tried using Firefox 16.0.1. That gives me this error message:

Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to www.Wherigo.com.

Cannot communicate securely with peer: no common encryption
algorithm(s).

(Error code: ssl_error_no_cypher_overlap)

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity
of the received data could not be verified.

Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.
Alternatively, use the command found in the help menu to report this
broken site.

Can someone explain why I'm getting errors now but everything worked fine last year? Is there some way that I can download this cartridge and others?

I checked using Chrome using the computer at my workplace. That browser complained of the security certificate's use of SHA-1 encryption, stating it is obsolete. The browser still let me log in, though. Safari on my iPhone still let me access the page. Perhaps if you do something to accept the security certificate in your browser, you'll be able to log in again?

Perhaps if you do something to accept the security certificate in your browser, you'll be able to log in again?

I don't know how to do that. I tried opening Preferences in Safari and looking at the Security section. The only things that seemed like they might be relevant were "Fraudulent sites: Warn when visiting a fraudulent website" and "Ask before sending a non-secure form from a secure website". I tried turning those off, but I still got the error. Changing things in the Firefox Preferences didn't work either.

I saw it up in the address bar, right next to the URL.

All I see there are a plus sign on the left, to add a bookmark for the current page, and a circular arrow on the right, to refresh the page.

I'll have a meeting coming up with Groundspeak soon. If I ask really nicely, I wonder if they'll do something about the certificate?

Thanks. You might also mention that I have the same problem logging into Waymarking.com. (I just hope whatever changed at Wherigo.com and Waymarking.com doesn't happen to geocaching.com!)

Meanwhile, a friend with a newer computer downloaded and emailed a few local Wherigo cartridges to me. There are some others that I'd like to try, but I'm reluctant to impose upon him any further.

I called Groundspeak and made them aware of this issue. When I notice a change to the site and its certificate, I'll post something here. If anyone else notice a change before I do, please post instead--don't wait for me.

I still can't log in.

Ranger Fox, have you heard anything about this from your Groundspeak contacts?

Edited by Nylimb

I noted in another similar thread I was able to get them to update the site's certificate. I had to email someone different. In my test case, I don't see the certificate error Chrome was complaining about.

Are you trying to log in on an Android phone?

No, I don't have a smartphone. I'm using Safari version 4.1.3 on an iMac with OS X 10.4.11.

Have you tried using another browser?

When I started this thread I was housesitting for some friends and using Safari version 5.1.10 on their iMac with OS X 10.6.8. I got the same error message there.

I've also tried Firefox 16.0.1 (on my friends' computer) and Firefox 3.6.28 (on mine). The error message is different in Firefox, as shown in my first post, but I can't log in using that either.

Just had a look because we plan to do a Wherigo in Singapore. I'm using iOS. With the app I cannot download directly. When I click on 'search' I get the error message 'Groundspeak Auth error' and 'error talking to gc'. I managed to get the cartridge by downloading it directly from the website.. kind of anyway because it didn't show up when I searched for Country: Singapore. So I had to type the name into google. But yes, it kind of works on iOS.