Submission opinions?

I've got a series in the works, the first has been published, the second placed and written up, the third in the planning stage, and the bonus final about completed (pending #3).

The series is in honor of three men who each saved my life in one fashion or another. Sadly, all three have passed on. The second in the series is a multi, carefully and respectfully planned out in a cemetery. As the subject of this cache in particular passed away last June (23d) i am debating whether to hold off submitting for publication until after the holiday or simply post another reviewer note asking for publication to be held. Out of respect for the families, I don't want folks out looking for this around the anniversary of his passing. The subject of the third in the series is buried about 100' away as well.

Upon publication, it will be stated that this cache will be Temporarily disabled for two weeks each year (the week before and after the anniversary). So... Hold off on submitting, or submit with reviewer note so as to have time to work out any possible issues with the reviewer in the interim? Thoughts?

I don't see a problem with submitting now and asking your reviewer to delay publication until a specified date.

I have previously submitted a small series and asked my reviewer to hold off on publishing any of them until we had resolved any issues on all of them, and then to publish them all at the same time.

Ask politely and the worst you can get is a no.

I like your respectful approach to these people and your caches.

Thanks for the reply and kind words. I'm not so concerned with a "no" answer from the reviewer. Ours have been pretty prompt and easy to work with in my limited experience. I submitted the first in the series on Memorial Day, fully expecting publication to take closer to two weeks considering the holiday. Was surprised to get notifications of the first two finds within three hours...

My concerns is more related to balancing respect for the families and site and timing of the actual publication. To be clear, I'm not in a rush to have it published. I may submit and request a later date for publication (after the 4th). No rush to decide...

I don't understand something. Isn't a cemetery private property?

I ask, because I've had caches rejected for being close to, or adjacent to private property.

It depends on the cemetery. I've found caches in cemeteries. I've found others that had virtual stages in cemeteries, with the cache itself outside the cemetery.

For example, one cemetery cache was left as one of the memorial items that families are allowed to leave at the gravesite according to the specific cemetery policies.

Not to be disrespectful, but wouldn't disabling a cache around the anniversary be considered some sort of agenda, and against the family entertainment part of the guidelines?

I don't see how disabling it (out of respect) makes it an "agenda". Or is against family entertainment.

In general, a cache which is a personal tribute to another person is allowed and not considered an agenda. And disabling it when the specific grave may have more visitors seems courteous and sensible.

One does have to be careful to avoid agenda in the text. E.g. if the person died of a specific disease, and you encourage people to help find a cure for that disease, then that would be an agenda.

But a personal - this is dedicated to this person who is special to me and here is a bit about them should be OK, as well as disabling it at a time when the area may be busy with other visitors.

You want to assure that publication doesn't happen until after a set date. The easiest way is to not submit it yet. Your location is in the system and a reviewer would see it in the unlikely event someone else started working on a cache in the same spot in the next few days/weeks. Why give the reviewer extra work? Requested publication dates do *not* always work. Submit it when you're actually ready for publication.

Edited by wmpastor

You want to assure that publication doesn't happen until after a set date. The easiest way is to not submit it yet. Your location is in the system and a reviewer would see it in the unlikely event someone else started working on a cache in the same spot in the next few days/weeks. Why give the reviewer extra work? Requested publication dates do *not* always work. Submit it when you're actually ready for publication.

This is the simplest and most straightforward solution.

The cache series design sounds fine, without looking at any of the cache listings.

I don't know about temporarily disabling it each year. People will have it in their phones and not notice it's disabled. And some folks don't read the description, so a plea to not search for it on X date won't stop them.

I don't know a fail-safe solution, though.

Based upon your one active Listing, if the other Listings you have in mind are similar, I would say that more than likely, you would be asked to provide contact information for a cache placement on cemetery property, or asked to relocate the physical cache along the border and not mingled in amongst the headstones.

The other issue that jumped out at me was:

Please take a moment to pay your respects...

Invoking people to "pay respects", is usually the type of thing Reviewers in my area ask to be removed from Listing pages.

I thought that cemetery caches were not being allowed anymore (where you have to actually enter the cemetery) without explicit permission. Perhaps that is just a local reviewer's take on it. In any case, I do think that you'll want to be careful how you write your cache pages up to avoid agenda your reason for placing the caches (their saving of your life). But you should be able to work that out with your reviewer.

I agree that disabling the cache for anniversaries is problematic, although it won't hurt, and may help in some cases. You may want to disable for the preceding week though.

2tall1s, cemetery caches are generally accepted around where I am. Gladly, I've yet to see one in poor taste or ill maintained.

terratin, if some folks see TD'ing this for a week or so around the anniversary, I could print and put in one of the cards from that other popular thread... :laughing:

NiraD has a point too. The physical stage (container) is well out in the woods behind the cemetery. Though there is another cache along the eastern fence, I preferred crafting virtual stages leading to the cache itself. Nothing physical in the cemetery itself.

Redsox Mark, yeah, no mention of how he passed in the listing. Doesn't belong or help in any way. There's enough of that out there already.

TriciaG, yeah, I considered that too. I've found myself searching for caches that've been disabled or archived. Happened yesterday actually. Even after loading up a freshly run PQ I've missed some of those, so you're right, not everyone would see the Temp Disable. Some might though, and that may make a difference.

Touchstone, yeah, the paying respects part has been tugging me back and forth. This is part of the reason I'm in no rush to throw a cache out there and get it published. I've given these thought for nine months before actually starting to work on them. Now I'm letting each page marinate in my head before I submit. Thanks for the nudge.

Knowschad, the thought is to disable for the preceding week and a few days post of the anniversary.

A few things I considered while contemplating how to put this together:

Limiting traffic; PMO listings have a way of doing that near me, as do multis.

Talking with the family. This subject of this cache in particular was pretty chill with a 'laugh at your troubles' way of living life. Nothing bothered this guy, and as I suspected, his family are amazing people as well. (I knew some of them, but have had the opportunity to meet and get to know some of the others)

I've tried to be thoughtful and considerate of possible issues with the wording. Yeah, I think I'll edit the paying respects part...

All in all, I'm not going for record find rates with these. PMO, a multi, and a ? will, in themselves, limit the traffic of the ones that need extra consideration (IMO). Fewer finds suit me fine.

I'll do as wmpastor wrote and simply wait until after the 4th of July holiday as I'm in no race to see these published, after all, that COULD be seen as an agenda by some and I've no desire to print out the cards... :rolleyes: