Yellowstone

Thebailey5

You definitely want to have a way to find caches without a data connection... there's pretty much no cellphone coverage at all in the park or in quite a bit of the surrounding areas (or at least there wasn't last summer and I doubt it's changed). Other than that, I do recommend going after the one "traditional" cache in the park (ALONE but not Solitary - GCK3Q). It's not a bad hike out to it and the geyser there is pretty cool, if you happen to be there at the right time.

You definitely want to have a way to find caches without a data connection... there's pretty much no cellphone coverage at all in the park or in quite a bit of the surrounding areas (or at least there wasn't last summer and I doubt it's changed). Other than that, I do recommend going after the one "traditional" cache in the park (ALONE but not Solitary - GCK3Q). It's not a bad hike out to it and the geyser there is pretty cool, if you happen to be there at the right time.

Thanks! I've never really done any geocaching without the cell phone in hand. I guess I need to brush up on my map and compass skills?

The GPS will still work, but you won't have any live maps or live cache info, so you need to have the cache data and map tiles preloaded.. (easy or hard, depending on the app you use...)

Edited by TheWinterTrio

You can select a list from most any cache in the park... such as this one: http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.aspx?guid=62fe55cf-0000-4e7d-945d-29012cbabc56 .

Then, run a Pocket Query and add that to your phone saved as a list.

You can access that list without data service. Your GPS in the phone works just fine without a data connection, you simply cannot access geocaching.com for a live list.

Thanks for all the help. We haven't used the Geocache app in a few years but really enjoyed it and wanted to check it out when we went to Yellowstone. I'm going to work on trying to create the pocket query. I just bought the premium membership so I'm assuming I have all that at my disposal. Thanks again to everyone for the help

I do recommend going after the one "traditional" cache in the park (Alone But Not Solitary). It's not a bad hike out to it and the geyser there is pretty cool, if you happen to be there at the right time.

I second this. I arrived at the geyser about 15 minutes before a major eruption and it was fantastic. A great memory.

Really, there are no caches in Yellowstone that aren't worth going after. It's the kind of place that virtuals and earthcaches were created for.

Bleached Cliffs-this earthcache had not been created when I visited Yellowstone in 2009 but it is located close to probably my favorite spot in the whole park: the Calcite Springs Overlook (could also be called the Yellowstone River Overlook now but the signage back then was for Calcite Springs). When Groundspeak had introduced Challenges, I created one for this spot because I loved it so much.

My 3 teenage sons and I will be visiting Yellowstone and staying in Cody Wyoming at the end of June. Any tips, pointers or recomendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

LOVE Cody!! Visit the Buffalo Bill Museum (can't remember the exact name). My favorite museum in the west if you like anything "western". The nightly Rodeo is a kick in the pants. We've stayed at the Big Bear Motel - really kitschy & old style - rustic, loved it. If you can spend some time (an afternoon) drive east of Cody out in the "prairie" toward the Little Bighorn Mtns & check out the wild horse area - we've been able to catch some really awesome pictures of the mustangs. Of course, Yellowstone is awesome. We're returning to Yellowstone this year too!

Wow, thanks everyone for your input. We are really looking forward to this trip. It will just be us 4 guys. I'm really hoping for some epic bonding time with my teenagers. It's sometimes hard to find common ground when they are this age but I have high hopes for this trip. We used to Geocache a lot a few years back and always enjoyed it. I figured we would try it again on our "trip of a lifetime".

A 44 year old, 17 year old, 15 year old and 13 year old (all boys) in a car for 10 days. What could go wrong??? lol

We are from Southern Illinois about 100 miles east of St. Louis but have lived in Bremerton, Wa the last 50 years. Our grandson lives near Jackson. He had never been to Yellowstone so we headed north to show it to him. Ran into a heavy snow storm. So be sure your boys are wearing more than shorts. It is one great park that we use to go to every summer mainly to fly fish and then later on to geocache. Cody is an interesting area. Enjoy. Dick & Arlene (90 years old)

We are from Southern Illinois about 100 miles east of St. Louis but have lived in Bremerton, Wa the last 50 years. Our grandson lives near Jackson. He had never been to Yellowstone so we headed north to show it to him. Ran into a heavy snow storm. So be sure your boys are wearing more than shorts. It is one great park that we use to go to every summer mainly to fly fish and then later on to geocache. Cody is an interesting area. Enjoy. Dick & Arlene (90 years old)

Thank you W7WT! We live about 30 miles East of St Louis in St Jacob, IL. I will make sure we are ready for all weather the mountains have to offer. I have been to MT before with my dad when I was 17. None of us have been to Yellowstone though and I'm hoping this trip with my sons has a lasting effect and creates the kind of bond I felt when my dad and I went to MT.

Thank you W7WT! We live about 30 miles East of St Louis in St Jacob, IL. I will make sure we are ready for all weather the mountains have to offer. I have been to MT before with my dad when I was 17. None of us have been to Yellowstone though and I'm hoping this trip with my sons has a lasting effect and creates the kind of bond I felt when my dad and I went to MT.

I was born in a small town called Bible Grove which is south of Effingham. I call louisville my home town. Taught high school in Freeport from 1948 to 1957 when we went to Lincoln Nebraska. After getting my advanced degree we moved here to Bremerton where I set up the Electronics program at Olympic College. We just finished getting our 10,000 find. I am sure I have been thru St Jacob as I see it is on US 40. Enjoy your family and do things now while you are able to. Dick

Lots of Bailey's in Clay County. North of Louisville they lived in an area called Redbrush. Both my wife and I graduated from Louisville H S in 1942. My mother was a Tolliver and my last name is Falley. Johnny Bob Harrell was a second cousin of mine. My wife was a Rodger's from Iola. I went to Eastern Illinois in 1942 and 43 and then enlisted in Naval Avation

Cadet program. After the war, I returned and graduated in 1948. Not many caches around there but lots over by Olney. After your trip, let us know how it worked out. Dick

The infamous Johnny Bob Harrell was my moms 3rd (I believe) cousin. Technically, you and are are related.... lol

Wow, it is amazing what a tiny little ball this planet is.

It has been beyond a pleasure to chat with you. Please feel free to email us at any time

beetle1170@yahoo.com

We've made several trips through Yellowstone, some of them before caching.

Our one suggestion - see what you want to see and don't turn it into seeing how many caches you can get. Enjoy each for its own individuality. If you try to get them all, you'll burn yourself out and regret turning the great park into a numbers-fest.

Besides, if you did them all this trip, what would you have to do the next time through?

I would recommend jaunting on south through Teton National Park and hitting Jackson, WY if you get the chance as well.