Flip flop cache

I am relatively new to geocaching. I currently only have the basic app right now as there are plenty of caches to keep me occupied until better financial times. My issue is that I have noticed several caches that were traditional switch to advanced and back again. This is very frustrating especially when I drive somewhere to go caching only to find I no longer can view the ones I was after.

I am relatively new to geocaching. I currently only have the basic app right now as there are plenty of caches to keep me occupied until better financial times. My issue is that I have noticed several caches that were traditional switch to advanced and back again. This is very frustrating especially when I drive somewhere to go caching only to find I no longer can view the ones I was after.

Relatively ? :laughing:

The Mr. Hyde side of me wants to say something about minor problems someone may have time-to-time with the free app, but I think we're good. :)

- Jekyl

In addition to possible changes in the app itself, it is possible that something happened to the cache that made it no longer qualify as a "beginner" cache that would be shown by the intro app. For example, someone could have posted a Needs Maintenance log, or the owner could have updated the difficulty/terrain ratings.

In addition to possible changes in the app itself, it is possible that something happened to the cache that made it no longer qualify as a "beginner" cache that would be shown by the intro app. For example, someone could have posted a Needs Maintenance log, or the owner could have updated the difficulty/terrain ratings.

That's a good possible, with twenty out of eighty needing maintenance in just a couple minutes of looking, with many NMs placed just the last couple of days.

If it were only one I wouldn't be concerned but it was 3 within the same Toledo City Metropark, all with Metropark permit numbers. Also, there was another one that was available the first day it was hidden, went the next day to find it, it was advanced, looked at it at work the next day, back to traditional, then back to advanced when I tried after work.

Sounds like placement or D/T issues with a new hide and maybe new CO, and while getting fixed, it kept jumping "yea or nay" on the app.

I realize it's frustrating for you, but it really is a good thing that folks are putting Needs Maintenance on caches that need it. :)

When almost a quarter of caches in one area alone needs maintenance, that's not a good thing. The area needs to be cleaned up.

If it were only one I wouldn't be concerned but it was 3 within the same Toledo City Metropark, all with Metropark permit numbers. Also, there was another one that was available the first day it was hidden, went the next day to find it, it was advanced, looked at it at work the next day, back to traditional, then back to advanced when I tried after work.

When you're at work, are you viewing the cache on the Geocaching.com website from a desktop or laptop computer, vs. trying to look at the cache in the Intro App when out in the field? That could be your problem right there.

What MetroPark are you talking about? (I am the Community Volunteer Reviewer for your local area.)

When you're at work, are you viewing the cache on the Geocaching.com website from a desktop or laptop computer, vs. trying to look at the cache in the Intro App when out in the field? That could be your problem right there.

What MetroPark are you talking about? (I am the Community Volunteer Reviewer for your local area.)

There are four caches in Swan Creek MetroPark. All are seasoned caches, with hidden dates of 2001, 2002, 2009 and 2014. None are Premium Members Only caches. None of them have the Maintenance attribute set, and there's no evidence of recent maintenance issues. One of the four caches had a recent DNF in early June due to poor cellphone reception. All four caches have a terrain and/or difficulty rating of two stars or higher. Their ratings today are the same as the ratings on June 10th (my last pocket query update for the area) and on January 1st (when I took a snapshot database for all of Ohio).

My guess is that the difficulty/terrain ratings are high enough that the app should consider them "advanced" caches.

But I recall reading something about an update to the app that included caches that it shouldn't have included (sorry, no reference). If you got that version of the app, then you might have seen the cache listings. Then, when the app updated to the next version, you would have seen them marked as "advanced" caches.

Yes it does. It looks like a cache box.

Currently if a cache is "recommended" (i.e. with that different icon), it overrides "advanced" and unlocks the cache. Which means when you move too far, the app finds new recommended caches and the old ones might lock (if they were advanced). It sounds like this is what was happening to you.

Good news: I just put in (what I hope is) a fix for the problem, which should hopefully be out with the next release.