Waymarking Site down ?

Doesn't surprise me. I reported a server 500 error a while ago and the response I got was that all their resources are being used by the "improved" geocaching features and there's no-one left to work on this site, so suck it up... I follow both hobbies and am a premium member. I would expect my resources to cover both disciplines, not one over the other. If they don't have enough "boots on the ground" to do this, then someone is mismanaging...

I am on a road trip but there is no way for me to know if there are any waymarks to visit. I guess I just have to photograph everything, then visit or post waymarks in 2016.

That's exactly how I waymark, I visit places with my camera and take pictures of the things I find interesting, beautiful,... 60% of these pictures just get stored in my computer (great things, but less time for good listings) The rest will be waymarked/visited in the future, no matter if today or next month. The whole error-problem- thing isn't very nice, but I'm sure Groundspeak will fix it, give them another week. At the moment we often go to lakes and swim/relax or we're eating ice-cream :mmraspberry:

I can't review waymarks either. But when I go to the front page, I see new ones have been approved since this morning...when I couldn't approve them either.

I can get to my profile and I can get to my lists tab, but then when I click on the count of one of the lists it errors.

When I try to get into the Texas Historical Markers category it errors.

Basically I can't post or approve.

And if I try to log a visit, boom.

I've tried Clearing my browser cache in Chrome, I've tried using Opera, I've tried using Firefox. I've tried logging off, THEN clearing the cache and logging back on...but I still get the errors.

I had NO problem this afternoon logging a geocache find using the official paid geocaching.com iOS app. I was just able to get to my geocaching profile, look at the last cache I found today, and put a watch on it without incident.

I just had a bunch of mine published. Thanks Saopaulo1! :anibad: :anibad: But now I can't view anything on the website. The only thing that works is the homepage. I think we need to have a contest to who has had the most error messages in the past week. :laughing:

I think we need to have a contest to who has had the most error messages in the past week. :laughing:

It's no contest - it's gotta be me!!!

The site came up just after 11 last night. After one false start it was clear sailing. Which begs the question:

Did the site fix itself or was someone actually there at 11 PM hacking away at the software?

An Error Has Occurred.

Your request has resulted in an error. You may choose to retry your previous request. Or you may tell us what you were doing when this error occurred: PULLING MY HAIR OUT.

HOPING I COULD VIEW SOME OF MY 5,000 + WAYMARKS.

Or perhaps review someone else's. Not sure I want to post any more Waymarks.

Thanks for the link. GREAT WORK Outspoken1 :)

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=333431&st=0&gopid=5522610entry5522610

Now it becomes clear what the problems can be.

But why no explanation for the problem in the Waymarking Forum. That is very :mad:

I have a Ziggo (UPC) connection in the Netherlands and many problems.

I was this afternoon with someone who has a connection KPN and there were no problems.

I come home after 10 minutes and just get ERRORS on my connection.

Also I get the whole day mails to review new postings from The Netherlands, but I can not get in to look at them. Maybe the posters have another provider and can post.

I hope the problem is solved quickly.

But Admin Justin also could tell us about the problem. :mad:

Thx John

I'm getting that 'An error has occured' in random places, sometimes by submiting, sometimes by simple navigation, I can't open any group details, for example.

It really doesn't look like routing issues. The server is generating error page, so the error is on the server, anyway.

Update

Now almost nothing works on the site. I get error when I click any waymark from the main site, or any navigation link on the right.

I'm hosting an event next Monday that will be devoted to Waymarking. I was hoping to recruit some new waymarkers among geocachers, but how I'm supposed to convince them to using the site that is such unreliable? I hope that bug will be fixed until the weekend...

Edited by GeoLog81

I am on a road trip but there is no way for me to know if there are any waymarks to visit. I guess I just have to photograph everything, then visit or post waymarks in 2016.

The whole Waymarking.com site stuff has me so unmotivated, I did not take a single photograph.

Found this info on the Geocaching Forums site (scroll up to read the entire explanation).

This link gives the technical explanation about what is going on (I think).

Take care, Outspoken1

I doubt the explanation because I used my work VPN to connect to the US. 'tracert www.Waymarking.com' shows only one hop:

1 166 ms 164 ms 166 ms www.Waymarking.com [63.251.163.208]

So this has nothing to do with ISPs etc.

Also when I use tool like HTTPWatch I see just a 302 (forwarding) to a page that shows error 500: object moved. So the web site is broken and/or partial down.

The whole Waymarking.com site stuff has me so unmotivated, I did not take a single photograph.

I know exactly how you feel and mean. I was in San Diego sunday for Comic Con and didn't waymark much because I didn't want to deal with the website being down. As much as I do want to take photos and document places, it's not worth it if you can't even post them.

Just did a test on a KPN server with one of my WM's

I accepted him ( WMP77T ) and it goes perfect. :lol:

Back on my ZIGGO (UPC) server again and nothing but ERRORS. :blink:

But what about WM-details, group-details, searches, list all groups? I see my own stats, any other member page but nothing of the 'details'.

But what about WM-details, group-details, searches, list all groups? I see my own stats, any other member page but nothing of the 'details'.

On the KPN server i can surf perfect without errors.

So i can review my own 50 Waymarks if i want and all the other categories i manage.

Its a little slower than normal but it goes perfect.

Back on the ziggo server a few links works (for example: profile, Newest Groups, Country/Region Counts)

But all the other gives errors even when i do a search on my own Waymark WMP77T ERROR ERROR ERROR

Just called Ziggo service center in The Netherlands.

The guy at the helpdesk could not say if it was the Ubee modem or a Ziggo problem,

He tried to surf on Waymarking too but get only errors. :lol:

Ziggo Installer comes Thursday between 8 am and 13 pm with another modem (Cisco) and solve the problem why I can't surf on Waymarking.com via the Ziggo Server.

To be continued.

Just called Ziggo service center in The Netherlands.

The guy at the helpdesk could not say if it was the Ubee modem or a Ziggo problem,

He tried to surf on Waymarking too but get only errors. :lol:

Ziggo Installer comes Thursday between 8 am and 13 pm with another modem (Cisco) and solve the problem why I can't surf on Waymarking.com via the Ziggo Server.

To be continued.

But the problem seems so widely spread (Europe and US) that it's puzzling to link this to a handful of providers. I use Orange in France and I have not seen this provider listed in the message thread. But I get the problem at the same time as all of the other posters.

Then also, how do you explain the fact that the problems seem to come and go? There are some periods now where I can do things just fine. I don't think you can link that to general characteristics of any particular hardware brand. Or can you?

But of course, strange things do happen in cyber space.

I doubt the explanation because I used my work VPN to connect to the US. 'tracert www.Waymarking.com' shows only one hop:

1 166 ms 164 ms 166 ms www.Waymarking.com [63.251.163.208]

So this has nothing to do with ISPs etc.

Also when I use tool like HTTPWatch I see just a 302 (forwarding) to a page that shows error 500: object moved. So the web site is broken and/or partial down.

Some inspired dectective work going on but I'm doubting the explanation also for reasons given in my above post.

I'm not sure why the routing problem on Geocaching.com got brought up here. It's an entirely different problem. The people affected by that problem have issues getting to the site at all and don't get any error messages. With the current Waymarking problem, people can get to the site just fine (at least, AFAIK), but they then get presented with server errors and various non-working features. Also, the routing problem is generally only affecting people in Europe, while the Waymarking problem is affecting people globally.

My suspicion is still that there are inconsistencies between the various servers, so whether you experience problems depends on whether you're using a working or non-working server. The people who are having different experiences while using VPN could be explained by them having a different IP and therefore getting assigned to a different server by the load balancer.

I'd like to reiterate my suggestion from a few days ago that could help the devs narrow down whether it's just some of the servers that have the problem:

I don't know if the Groundspeak devs need to know or not, but I'm currently experiencing the problem on WAYMARK-WEB01. If anyone else wants to post which server they're seeing the problems on, view the source of the page you're on and look near the end (about 150 lines before the end) for a line that looks like this:

<!-- Server: WAYMARK-WEB01; Build: Waymarking.Web.release-20150622.1.Release_13 -->

If your browser lets you do a "find" while viewing the source, do a find for "server", because that seems to be the only place that word is used in the code.

The site worked enough for me to resubmit a rejected waymark of my own and for me to approve three waymarks in various categories.

This was at approximately 2015-07-14 15:45 CDT.

Note that at 12:45, three hours ago, I sent an email to Groundspeak explaining that I was having trouble, all the things that didn't work, a few of the things that DID work, my username, and the URL to my Waymarking profile.

Perhaps it is not a server problem, but rather a data problem with some corrupt user records that have to be fixed.

Now we wait until this evening when I can try to post a new waymark.

But the problem seems so widely spread (Europe and US) that it's puzzling to link this to a handful of providers. I use Orange in France and I have not seen this provider listed in the message thread. But I get the problem at the same time as all of the other posters.

Then also, how do you explain the fact that the problems seem to come and go? There are some periods now where I can do things just fine. I don't think you can link that to general characteristics of any particular hardware brand. Or can you?

But of course, strange things do happen in cyber space.

I dont no if it is a hardware problem too.

I hacked an Asus modem here nearby to test it on the Ziggo server and it goes perfect with surfing and reviewing some of my own Waymarks.

It's not in the air anymore so i can't test it again on the ASUS. :mad:

I'am on the phone now with a friend with a Cisco modem + Ziggo and he surfs perfect right now on the site.

I can't surfing right now with my Ubee + Ziggo only ERRORS.

But its strange that i never had this problem the last 5 years of Waymarking.

So it could also be the problems on the Groundspeak provider connection with some other world wide providers.

I give it a try Thursday with the Ziggo Installer, cost me only a cup of coffee.

I don't know if the Groundspeak devs need to know or not, but I'm currently experiencing the problem on WAYMARK-WEB01. If anyone else wants to post which server they're seeing the problems on, view the source of the page you're on and look near the end (about 150 lines before the end) for a line that looks like this:

<!-- Server: WAYMARK-WEB01; Build: Waymarking.Web.release-20150622.1.Release_13 -->

If your browser lets you do a "find" while viewing the source, do a find for "server", because that seems to be the only place that word is used in the code.

I'm getting it here.

<!-- Server: WAYMARK-WEB02; Build: Waymarking.Web.release-20150622.1.Release_13 -->

Still encountering the "An Error has Occurred". Still apparently routing to waymark-web02. Still unable to use the site in any meaningful way except ...

To download all my waymarks into a KML file as a backup in case we never make it out of these woods. (Groundspeak has become rather silent).

Edited by RakeInTheCache

On the one hand I definitely understand you and agree. On the other hand I'm still truely hoping that they will fix the problems one day and I will have a chance to post my waymarks. Therefore I keep taking photographs. Yesterday I wanted to post a new waymark during a break at work, but the site didn't work. When I was about to go home I tried again and the site seemed to work. At home I was too busy with other things and today I tried at work again and the site is again giving me errors all the time. :-( It's frustrating, but if we all stop submitting they have less reason to take care of the problem, no?

All searches give me an error message. Clicking any waymark gives an error message:

"An Error Has Occurred

Your request has resulted in an error. You may choose to retry your previous request. Or you may tell us what you were doing when this error occurred:"

Now the same again here. All I try gives the error message. 15.07.2015 - 14:36