Wherigo on android

auntflo

Hi I have just completed my first Wherigo cache using my android Z3. I transferred the cartridge to the whereyougo app via my computer and the app worked. However, when I obtained the final coordinates for the cache I was unable to use the app to locate the cache, even though it allows you to enter your own coordinates. I don't know if this means it hasn't recognised the cartridge as being completed so no unlock code provided. I tried to upload the file to Wherigo.com but it wont let me do that either. I have .gwc .gwl .ows .ows.bak files but no .gws I have logged it in geocaching.com, but can't in Wherigo. I may be missing something, as this is my first one and I'm learning as I go. Any help would be appreciated.

When I obtain final coordinates from the Whereyougo app, I enter them into my GPSr and then use my GPSr to proceed to the final.

The creator of each cartridge determines whether to include the final coordinates as a navigable waypoint within the cartridge---but many just end the cartridge by merely displaying the final coordinates on the screen----it is then up to you to transcribe them to a GPSr or geocaching app.

As for unlock codes, you don't really need them. Even if you do manage to enter the correct unlock code, all it does is indicate (on Wherigo.com) that the cartridge has been completed----it doesn't do anything else, as far as I know.

"Found It" logs are not entered on Wherigo.com. Once you log your find on geocaching.com, you are done.

Edited by TommyGator

Well, sometimes. I've found Wherigo caches that the CO has included unlocking the cartridge and logging it on the Wherigo site as a requirement for logging the Wherigo cache. No Wherigo site log = Wherigo cache log deleted.

I'll go out on a limb here and say that is ALR-like and wouldn't be allowed if one went to appeals. After all, the only requirement for a geocache is to have your name on the log. But that's just a guess really.

Well, sometimes. I've found Wherigo caches that the CO has included unlocking the cartridge and logging it on the Wherigo site as a requirement for logging the Wherigo cache. No Wherigo site log = Wherigo cache log deleted.

I'll go out on a limb here and say that is ALR-like and wouldn't be allowed if one went to appeals. After all, the only requirement for a geocache is to have your name on the log. But that's just a guess really.

Point #1: No cache owner can verify someone has unlocked a cartridge on Wherigo.com. Therefore, no cache owner can claim that as a logging requirement.

Point #2: While it's true a cache owner could possibly validate a person's completion code, said individual can only validate any code once. After that, the cartridge owner will have a completed cartridge and cannot validate any more codes.

Point #3: The geocache components of a cartridge (e.g. physical containers registered at geocaching.com) follow the terms of use for that site and game. While Wherigo is an exception to some rules/guidelines, it generally does follow the geocaching guidelines where there is an overlap between the games. One of those exceptions to the rules could be in the form of additional logging requirements, but it's not.

Point #4: At no time has Groundspeak ever indicated logging a cartridge on Wherigo.com is a requirement for logging a geocache on geocaching.com.

Point #5: Some cartridge authors do not display an unlock code. Thus, it's impossible for people to unlock/complete some cartridges through the normal means (through the cartridge's gameplay).

Point #6: To my knowledge, only Garmin GPS receivers generate a cartridge save file (GWS) the Wherigo.com site recognizes.

Point #7: Cartridges point to their geocache components in different ways. It could be the final zone, displayed as coordinates in a message, displayed as coordinates in an item, or pointed to by giving a direction and offset. It all varies between cartridge. A few don't even have a geocache component.