Garmin Communicator Plugin NOT detected

Jentel2012

Any chance that this problem will be fixed inn the future or is it unrepairable

It can be fixed, but it would have to be Garmin that fixes it, because the problem is with their plugin.

That being said, the problem has existed for quite some time now (approximately spring 2015) with no sign of any fixes on the horizon, so I would recommend not holding your breath.

It can be fixed, but it would have to be Garmin that fixes it, because the problem is with their plugin.

I wouldn't be too sure of that! Why is it then that if one goes to the Garmin download page of the plugin it clearly shows that the plugin is already installed and up to date? And it is visible and active in the Safari Preferences.

Couldn't it be that there has to be done some code tweaking on the geocaching.com pages to meet with new functionality?

That being said, the problem has existed for quite some time now (approximately spring 2015) with no sign of any fixes on the horizon, so I would recommend not holding your breath.

Had no problems using the communicator plugin on my iMac running OS X 10.11 till last friday. Yesterday I upgraded it to macOS 10.12 and now I can't get it working again using Safari. With Firefox it works just fine.

I guess it's a combination of factors that create the problem.

I wouldn't be too sure of that! Why is it then that if one goes to the Garmin download page of the plugin it clearly shows that the plugin is already installed and up to date? And it is visible and active in the Safari Preferences.

Couldn't it be that there has to be done some code tweaking on the geocaching.com pages to meet with new functionality?

I'd be sure. The issue is that the plugin that Garmin wrote uses a technology called NPAPI, which most browsers have deemed to have a security vulnerability (not that the Garmin plugin takes advantage of it) significant enough that the browser will detect *any* plugin which uses that technology and will block it from running. The geocaching.com site merely attempts to invoke the plugin, but the browser won't let the plugin run. Either Garmin would have to rewrite the plugin such that it uses some other technology or Groundspeak would have to write one (from scratch) that does not use NPAPI. Neither company seems inclined to do that.

Groundspeak could fix the issue for cachers like WoodenNickels also by offering the reduced gpx file which is sent via the plugin directly on the cache page.

How the Garmin plugin works is a Garmin issue but what Groundspeak makes available on gc.com is Groundspeak's part. They would not need to write a new procedure for sending files - the files are available anyhow.

Edited by cezanne

Groundspeak could fix the issue for cachers like WoodenNickels also by offering the reduced gpx file which is sent via the plugin directly on the cache page.

How the Garmin plugin works is a Garmin issue but what Groundspeak makes available on gc.com is Groundspeak's part. They would not need to write a new procedure for sending files - the files are available anyhow.

The files do not exist anyhow. The data for each cache is kept in a data store and a representation of that data is constructed as XML (using the GPX schema) when requested. It only becomes a file when it's saved on a users system. That said, I have suggested doing away with .loc format and using a GPX format without the Groundspeak extensions for basic members. It doesn't really matter what the data looks like though as long as the plugin used to transfer that data to a GPS is using NPAPI, most browser aren't going to let the plugin run.

The data for each cache is kept in a data store and a representation of that data is constructed as XML (using the GPX schema) when requested. It only becomes a file when it's saved on a users system.

Somehow looks inefficient.

Even if what I wrote is technically incorrect, the process which decides which data are sent via sendtogps for which cacher is taking place at gc.com and not inside of the plugin (which does not know the member status).

That said, I have suggested doing away with .loc format and using a GPX format without the Groundspeak extensions for basic members.

I know and I like your suggestion. Unfortunately, Groundspeak never commented on it.

It doesn't really matter what the data looks like though as long as the plugin used to transfer that data to a GPS is using NPAPI, most browser aren't going to let the plugin run.

It does matter as there are many alternative ways of transfering the data to a GPS without this plugin but no alternative way (for basic members) of obtaining the data.

Edited by cezanne

Plugin stopped working in Firefox and crome. Please, please can some one give me a simple solution to download caches .

Groundspeak is working on a fix, as browsers are pretty-much nixing plug-ins.

For info, see Here and Here.

For now, you could enter caches manually like I still do.

If this fix works out well, I may actually use it again myself. :)

Groundspeak is working on a fix,

No they are not. Garmin is as it's their problem.

Yes, they are. Together with Garmin.

You will see a replacement for this shortly (probably before the end of the month). We have been working with Garmin for months on a solution and it is finally coming to fruition. Unfortunately, the other GPS device manufacturers who previously made use of the Send to GPS function have all exited the playing field, so the replacement will be Garmin only.

Will there be an announcement of the release in the ground speak newsletter?

Yes, the marketing team plans to communicate this out as soon as it is ready. Note that we are working on wrapping up a final few issues with Garmin and it looks like the release will be a bit later than we were planning - probably mid- to late-April.

Groundspeak is working on a fix,

No they are not. Garmin is as it's their problem.

Yes, they are. Together with Garmin.

The only thing GS does is make sure the plugin (by Garmin) can work from the website.

You are assuming that the plugin is "by Garmin". I haven't seen anything which indicates that the new plugin isn't being developed by Groundspeak, but requires knowledge from Garmin to get the data structure correct and hooks into any services/functions that are running on the GPS.

i may be having the same issues as people above but i am not sure?? I am using safari v. 11.0.2 and just updated my garmin etrex 20 to version 4.60 to ensure it was up to date. I go to "send to gps" and the communicator plug in pops up, but it says Garmin Communicator NOT detected and does not see my Etrex. I see my garmin in 'finder'. In the communicator plug in I click on "download and install now" and it brings me to the garmin web page where it says you have garmin communicator plug in v 4.2.0.0 and it lists devices detected as my etrex... 

Anyone have any ideas on how to solve this??

10 minutes ago, Kennon136 said:

Anyone have any ideas on how to solve this??

Yes... do a forumsearch for "Garmin Communicator"

It's dead, it's no more, it's an ex-plugin, it expired......... The only way to keep using it is by using outdated unsecure browsers.

There is a newer method using Garmin's POI loader but I'm not sure how this works on a Mac. It's been discussed on these forums though.

Thank you on4bam.. I actually just realized by downloading garmin express, I am able to successfully transfer a list to my gps.. prior to downloading garmin express I tried this method but the web page would not open due to macOS not knowing how to open it.. makes sense now.. glad i have somewhat of a solution! 

So, does this mean (which i think is mentioned above) that the 'send to gps' feature on geocaching.com will not work, Unless you use an outdated unsecure browser as you mention about? 

Thanks and happy caching!

11 minutes ago, Kennon136 said:

So, does this mean (which i think is mentioned above) that the 'send to gps' feature on geocaching.com will not work, Unless you use an outdated unsecure browser as you mention about?

Yes, and if you look at the dates the communicator plugin problems were first reported you'll notice people have had problems since 2014 when Chrome and Firefox started blocking the plugin but still left an opening for workarounds. Up to date browsers won't allow the workarounds anymore.

2 hours ago, Kennon136 said:

[...] So, does this mean (which i think is mentioned above) that the 'send to gps' feature on geocaching.com will not work, Unless you use an outdated unsecure browser as you mention about? [...]

No. The still working Firefox ESR editon is NOT outdated.

Hans

On ‎14‎/‎06‎/‎2015 at 9:43 PM, Fivebales said:

You can click on the "GPX file" button to the left of "Send to my GPS", then you can show in folder using the down arrow after it loads. Have your GPS connected to the computer, find the Garmin file and open the GPX file listed on your GPS. Have both windows open and drag from the download folder to the Garmin GPX folder. If you click on the gpx file it will open in GSAK, so you could do it that way, too....just more steps...

Thank you for this. I had problems in IE saying I didn't have the Garmin Communicator Plugin Not Detected ever after installing the latest driver! Never had this problem before. This was another work around. Thanks for sharing

5 hours ago, popolopo said:

I have tried to get garmin communicator to work ,nothing does. I guess I will have to buy a cell phone. 

You guess wrong.

Since you're a premium member there are plenty of ways to load your GPS.  Read the other threads about this. Try manual download of GPX files and copy to your GPS, try lists + Garmin Express, try PQ's, use third party software (GSAK)... There's lots of info on the forums, just use the search function.

• Upvote 1

I have been out of the scene for a few years, ever since my son got old enough that it wasn't 'cool' to cache with dad anymore.  :/  anyway, I have recently gotten back into it when my brothers have developed interest.  I have the Garmin 60csx, and it wouldn't work with anything I did on my windows 10 machine. None of the browsers or add ons or anything would work.  So, I drug back out my old desktop, opened up Firefox (which is version 19.0) and did a search for the garmin  plug in.  found the signed version, got it running, and it worked. I was able to send the cache to my GPS once it finally detected it.  Now, since it's an older browser, the front page of Geocaching.com didn't load right. I couldn't click anything but the video, so I just adjusted the address bar and added /login at the end of the address.  took me to the log in page, worked, opened the map, and yeehaw!  

I do have a problem with the diffrences between the phone app and the computer site.  the phone app won't let me see anything above a 1.5 unless i'm a premium, and I can see ALL basic hides on the computer. I only have one account.  I think it's bull to make you pay to use your phone.  It takes all the fun out of a spur of the moment cache search.  I saw a newer cache in a town that I was going to and wanted to grab if I had time.  I logged into my phone, and it was listed as premium and I couldn't open it up!!!  even when it wasn't on my computer.  Talk about salty!!!   anyway, the whole point was to say, the older firefox browser (and make sure you make it so it won't update) running on win 7 for me, will install the old plug in that will let you use your 60csx units!  :D

17 minutes ago, cmaille said:

anyway, the whole point was to say, the older firefox browser (and make sure you make it so it won't update) running on win 7 for me, will install the old plug in that will let you use your 60csx units!  :D

You really don't want something that old (FF19!?!) on a computer connected to the internet :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, cmaille said:

I do have a problem with the diffrences between the phone app and the computer site.  the phone app won't let me see anything above a 1.5 unless i'm a premium, and I can see ALL basic hides on the computer. I only have one account.  I think it's bull to make you pay to use your phone.  It takes all the fun out of a spur of the moment cache search.

I very much appreciate Groundspeak's approach to their App.  I almost feel like TPTB "get it", in this one area.  The App is expensive to develop, so if people want it, people pay for it, while the web site itself still allows much the same access as always.  For "free", the App is more like an ad to pay for membership, encouraging those who want it to help pay for the costly App, yet allowing them to test its suitability with a given phone, without obligation.  I like that plan.  A lot. ^_^

If you refuse to pay for the "fun", and also refuse to use a different Geocaching App (which may or may not be "free"), you can still use the web site for free.  On the spur of the moment, open the web site on a phone using a web browser, and type the cache coordinates to any waypoint into the Official Geocaching App, for free.  Have fun!  :P

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 3
1 hour ago, cmaille said:

I drug back out my old desktop, opened up Firefox (which is version 19.0) and did a search for the garmin  plug in.  found the signed version, got it running, and it worked. I was able to send the cache to my GPS once it finally detected it.  Now, since it's an older browser, the front page of Geocaching.com didn't load right. I couldn't click anything but the video, so I just adjusted the address bar and added /login at the end of the address.  took me to the log in page, worked, opened the map, and yeehaw!  

Garmin Communicator still works on some older PCs that aren't being updated (while the old web browser continues to function).  It's also still possible to configure a modern PC, as mentioned in the Forums.  I used to keep "Garmin Communicator" functioning as a personal challenge.  I have an old PC or two that might still run it.  But I've shelved those PCs due to them starting to get very annoying -- especially pestering me to do "updates", yet never managing to complete the updates.  Anyway, as mentioned there's a lot more to consider than simply "getting Garmin Communicator working".  Nevermind that it's becoming a real chore to keep it working.

If it was a choice of keeping "Garmin Communicator" functional, or nothing. I'd prefer nothing.  That is, I'd rather manually type a cache or two, to the research and settings, and risks of keeping the old "Send To" running.  Remember, "If you manually typed cache coordinates, you'd be out finding the cache right now". B)

Edited by kunarion

I'm beginning to understand how the app is a bit different than the computer.  convenience costs. I get it. don't like it, but I get it.  :)  so, for what it is, I'll use it for easy spur of the moment grabs, and plan in advance any dedicated caching trips and put them on my GPS.   As far as using the older computer, it really doesn't get used but rarely, and it still works fine for the sites I use it for.  The firefox has obviously been on there for quite a while, and I never took it off when I moved over to chrome.  when I saw that older browsers still were able to use the plug in's, it prompted me to give it a whirl, and it worked.  I still had to navigate the geocaching site by manually typing in the browser to some of the pages, but it worked, and really that's all I wanted.  I can plan a day of caching,  still put them on there, and all is good.  When I started, I had to wait till I got home to log a find anyway, so anything above a 1.5 on the trip I will just wait and log when I get home.  My fat finger problem would have me retyping any manually entered coordinates several times anyway, so a few extra steps to get it on my GPS is worth it to me.  LOL  it's all good. I'm just excited to get back into it.  I stopped when my son stopped because I really don't have much fun doing it solo.  Now that I have people to go with, I'm excited.  :)

39 minutes ago, cmaille said:

so, for what it is, I'll use it for easy spur of the moment grabs, and plan in advance any dedicated caching trips and put them on my GPS.

That's generally my plan with PM.  I load the GPS with what I hope is "everycache" for a trip (the park I'm heading for, plus choice stops along the way), and the phone is a backup database, loaded with the same PQs or Lists.  I use the phone mainly for photos and to send logs.  If it's online when I arrive, I even have a handy way to view a cache I may have missed when loading the GPS. I also load Locus Maps, since between that and The App and The GPS, one of them might actually function if the other two act up at any given cache. B)

Yeah, I type very sloowly on a GPS.  Or on a phone (but I can dictate!).

@cmaille It's really a bad idea to use an old and unsafe browser. It's not only unsafe for yourself but also unsafe for others.

You can easily use your new Windows 10 machine to load caches onto your 60csx: use the GPX file button and import it into BaseCamp. Copy/paste all GPX files into one list. Then send the whole list to your 60csx at once. You can even use MapSource if you want (seems to work a bit faster with older units).

I don't know which OS your phone has, but it surely has a store app. Search for 'geocaching' in that store and you'll get tons of alternative apps. These are not bound to the D/T limits.

• Helpful 1
On 6/9/2018 at 11:35 PM, StefandD said:

I don't know which OS your phone has, but it surely has a store app. Search for 'geocaching' in that store and you'll get tons of alternative apps. These are not bound to the D/T limits.

3rd party apps that use Groundspeak's API do not have the D/T limits, but do have other limits for Basic Members.

3rd party apps that don't apply any limits, besides PMO vs non-PMO, are not authorized API partners and are violating the TOS by scraping the site to collect the data they serve to users. Not cool.

• Helpful 2