Garmin Communicator Plugin NOT detected

Jentel2012

I am using Chrome 43 in Windows 8.1. When I click on "Send to my GPS", I get a "Garmin Communicator Plugin NOT detected". I installed the latest version and enabled NPAPI in Chrome. I get the same issue in Firefox but it works in IE.

Anyone knows why it doesn't work in those two browsers?

You can click on the "GPX file" button to the left of "Send to my GPS", then you can show in folder using the down arrow after it loads. Have your GPS connected to the computer, find the Garmin file and open the GPX file listed on your GPS. Have both windows open and drag from the download folder to the Garmin GPX folder. If you click on the gpx file it will open in GSAK, so you could do it that way, too....just more steps...

You can click on the "GPX file" button to the left of "Send to my GPS", then you can show in folder using the down arrow after it loads. Have your GPS connected to the computer, find the Garmin file and open the GPX file listed on your GPS. Have both windows open and drag from the download folder to the Garmin GPX folder. If you click on the gpx file it will open in GSAK, so you could do it that way, too....just more steps...

"GPX File" is disabled. Probably a premium only feature. I am not a premium member.

Chrome does not work with plug ins. IE should be fine though.

Of course Chrome uses plugins. How do think a plugin like Flash works in Chrome?

This is what koselig is referring to:

NPAPI plugins don't work on Chrome version 42 and higher

Garmin Communicator is an NPAPI plugin. Adobe Flash and PDF Viewer are PPAPI plugins (apparently a "safer" API) and still work fine.

--Larry

Of course Chrome uses plugins. How do think a plugin like Flash works in Chrome?

This is what koselig is referring to:

NPAPI plugins don't work on Chrome version 42 and higher

Garmin Communicator is an NPAPI plugin. Adobe Flash and PDF Viewer are PPAPI plugins (apparently a "safer" API) and still work fine.

--Larry

I know what he's referring to and I ALREADY said in my original post that I enabled NPAPI support. The NPAPI support exists in the browser, it's just disabled in the later versions of Chrome

https://gradecam.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/205443017-Enabling-NPAPI-in-Google-Chrome-Version-42-or-higher

and what about Firefox?

and what about Firefox?

The Garmin Communicator plugin works fine in Firefox 38.0.5 (the current non-beta version), on both my Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 machine.

--Larry

I've been using the plugin for several years across many versions of Firefox on Windows 7. Never had a problem. I used it on Friday evening and it worked as expected (FF 38.0.5, Garmin Communicator 4.2.0.0, Windows 7).

@Jentel2012: Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the plugin in either browser?

"GPX File" is disabled. Probably a premium only feature. I am not a premium member.

Sorry, I didn't realize that. If you need to send to your GPS, Internet Explorer works fine. I don't use IE, so I return to Chrome after I use it for sending cache to GPSr.

and what about Firefox?

The Garmin Communicator plugin works fine in Firefox 38.0.5 (the current non-beta version), on both my Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 machine.

--Larry

I've been using the plugin for several years across many versions of Firefox on Windows 7. Never had a problem. I used it on Friday evening and it worked as expected (FF 38.0.5, Garmin Communicator 4.2.0.0, Windows 7).

@Jentel2012: Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the plugin in either browser?

I am afraid to uninstall it now less it breaks in IE. The Program applet in the control panel shows I have version 4.2 and both the 32 & 64bit versions. Maybe it has to do with Windows 8.1. I am just going to use IE just for this functionality even though I don't like IE.

If you are on the latest communicator version, then we can try to uninstall and then reinstall. This is going to be browser dependent, so the instructions may be different depending on what you are using. The steps are generally the same, it's just the wording of the options that is different. In Firefox, we can manage the plugin by the following steps:

-Drop down the "Tools" menu item

-Select "Add-Ons"

-Find Garmin Communicator listed, and click "Uninstall"

-Restart your browser

-Visit the communicator site to reinstall the plugin.

I am afraid to uninstall it now less it breaks in IE. The Program applet in the control panel shows I have version 4.2 and both the 32 & 64bit versions. Maybe it has to do with Windows 8.1. I am just going to use IE just for this functionality even though I don't like IE.

Same problem here......Chrome has finished supporting Garmin Communicator, so now I use IE....but it's not working. Did you solve the SEND TO GPS problem in IE and what options do I have to activate?

To be clearer, without some manual intervention (which the OP says he has employed), Chrome no longer uses NPAPI plugins that were once the industry's idea of a 'solution' to cross-platform plugins. I haven't used it in ages, but isn't Communicator an NPAPI plugin? As NPAPI gets dropped from more and more browsers, this is going to become a larger issue. Edited by ecanderson

I really, really, REALLY do not want to use IE but it seems to be the only major browser that runs the Garmin Communicator Plug-in anymore. I switched from Chrome to Firefox because of this problem, and now suddenly Firefox will not support it. What is going on with these browser companies? Is anyone working toward a permanent solution? This is very frustrating.

I really, really, REALLY do not want to use IE but it seems to be the only major browser that runs the Garmin Communicator Plug-in anymore. I switched from Chrome to Firefox because of this problem, and now suddenly Firefox will not support it. What is going on with these browser companies? Is anyone working toward a permanent solution? This is very frustrating.

I use Firefox (currently at 39.0) on a Windows 7 SP1 PC. Garmin Communicator still works fine on this machine.

As a test, I downloaded several GPX files to my Garmin Oregon 650 just now, and it worked fine.

--Larry

I am using firefox version 39 and it says "firefox no longer supports the Garmin plugin" Chrome says exactly the same thing, and as I don't have IE (I deleted it as it was causing so many hang ups) I am now stuck and unable to down load caches to my GPS!

That's strange. It may have to do with a certain setting. And, you're not stuck. Download the caches to your computer and manually copy the GPX file to x:\garmin\gpx\ because that's what the plugin does for you. Alternatively, you can run a PQ and put the GPX files in that same directory on your GPS or you can use software like GSAK to load caches to your GPS.

[...] Download the caches to your computer and manually copy the GPX file to x:\garmin\gpx\ because that's what the plugin does for you. [...]

It's way smarter to download the caches directly to the GPSr [Garmin]:\Garmin\Gpx\

Hans

[...] Download the caches to your computer and manually copy the GPX file to x:\garmin\gpx\ because that's what the plugin does for you. [...]

It's way smarter to download the caches directly to the GPSr [Garmin]:\Garmin\Gpx\

Doesn't it depend on the type of Garmin GPSr whether what you and on4bam suggested works in the described manner?

Doesn't it depend on the type of Garmin GPSr whether what you and on4bam suggested works in the described manner?

Both methods give the same result. You cache choose either one. The suggestion of HHL skips one step.

Both methods give the same result. You cache choose either one. The suggestion of HHL skips one step.

Yes, I know. My question referred to both suggested methods that's why I wrote "what you and on4bam suggest". I believe that the

described method only works for the newer Garmin units (e.g. the Oregon you seem to use).

Edited by cezanne

Yes, I know. My question referred to both suggested methods that's why I wrote "what you and on4bam suggest". I believe that the

described method only works for the newer Garmin units (e.g. the Oregon you seem to use).

I have een older Oregon 450t. I don't think this will work with the even older GPS Map 60csx

I have een older Oregon 450t. I don't think this will work with the even older GPS Map 60csx

And there are even older units, and that's why I made my comment.

Moreover, the OP is a basic member only and in his case the send to gps command just sends a loc file to the GPS and not a gpx file, but that's not directly relevant to the Op's question.

If people asking questions could only provide enough information to get a fast and correct answer.

OS+Browers (+version)

PM or not

Type of GPS

Imagine just saying "my car won't start, how come?" :D

OS+browser has been mentioned. There might exist workarounds (only for those the membership type and the GPS type play a role) but in any case it is an issue experienced by several cachers that the Garmin communicator plugin which has always worked so far does not work any longer.

I am using Chrome 43 in Windows 8.1. When I click on "Send to my GPS", I get a "Garmin Communicator Plugin NOT detected". I installed the latest version and enabled NPAPI in Chrome. I get the same issue in Firefox but it works in IE.

I got in touch with Garmin. They say Firefox and Chrome no longer support plugins!

I got in touch with Garmin. They say Firefox and Chrome no longer support plugins!

I keep reading here that Firefox no longer supports plug-ins.

I use Firefox 40.0.2 (the latest version as of this writing) on a Windows 7 Home Premium PC.

I have the Garmin Communicator plug-in installed, and I've done nothing specific to enable it (as in changing some option to make it work).

Just now, as a test, I was able to use the "Send to My GPS" button to download several caches to my Garmin Oregon 650.

Either I have a miracle machine, or once again the folks at Garmin don't know what they're talking about. It wouldn't be the first time.

--Larry

Nothing special needed for FF here, either. Running 40.0

For Chrome, it can be re-enabled (but just for the time being - that's not expected to last):

Use this URL: chrome://flags/#enable-npapi

Find "Enable NPAPI Mac, Windows" in the list, and click "Enable"

Use the "Relaunch Now" button at the bottom

Nothing special needed for FF here, either. Running 40.0

For Chrome, it can be re-enabled (but just for the time being - that's not expected to last):

Use this URL: chrome://flags/#enable-npapi

Find "Enable NPAPI Mac, Windows" in the list, and click "Enable"

Use the "Relaunch Now" button at the bottom

That is not a sensible advice because npapi support will stop with version 45 of google chrome which wil released in september

I DID say " (but just for the time being - that's not expected to last):"

The idea is to get the user by until a decision can be made by Chrome users about switching to another browser for this work. That's the only way around it unless Garmin comes up with a new solution first. There's no point in complaining here about Garmin Communicator issues. If users need the old proprietary interface for units that don't do the 'mass storage' approach, then it's going to be up to Garmin, not Groundspeak, to come up with a non-NPAPI solution.

. If users need the old proprietary interface for units that don't do the 'mass storage' approach, then it's going to be up to Garmin, not Groundspeak, to come up with a non-NPAPI solution.

Or people will adapt by using programs like gsak or easy GPS to transfer data to their older units while garmin encourages them to upgrade to the latest models.

Your device won't recognize any browser. It's the other way round.

If you refer to the Communicator (or the 'Send to My GPS' button), use Internet Explorer, Firefox or Opera instead. IE is still available in Win10, the other browsers must be installed manually.

As stated above (and in other threads on this forum), the Communicator will be obsolete in the near future. If you insist on using MS Edge, use the GPXfile button and save to the \Garmin\GPX\ folder on your device.

. If users need the old proprietary interface for units that don't do the 'mass storage' approach, then it's going to be up to Garmin, not Groundspeak, to come up with a non-NPAPI solution.

Or people will adapt by using programs like gsak or easy GPS to transfer data to their older units while garmin encourages them to upgrade to the latest models.

The latter would certainly be my preference. I haven't loaded a cache using this method for years, preferring GSAK for all such business. I suppose some find it convenient to load the odd one-off cache now and again, but I just use the API to load those via GSAK as well. Keeps them in my database.

There seem to be a number of things to consider here:-

- It seems Garmin are much more interested in bio metric devices these days

- Soon only obsolete versions of browsers will support NPAPI

- There are workarounds to get geocaches into Garmin GPS units

- Most cachers seem to use phones rather than GPS units now

All of which tend to make me think that the Send To GPS feature in geocaching.com is pretty much lost to us forever unless a third party can write a replacement plug in for browsers. Groundspeak could intervene and do something for us if they cared enough.

Seriously though, it's not really something I would use a lot.

I generally load my GPS with GSAK, and also it's a simple matter to drag a GPX into the Garmin/GPX folder if I need to.

I can also use export a GPX from c:geo and use an OTG cable to drag it from my phone to my GPS.

Edited by gmj3191

I cannot use the Garmin communicator at all on any browser out there. Firfox

was working but not after last week. I am using .vista,getting too old or what?

I am using firefox version 39 and it says "firefox no longer supports the Garmin plugin" Chrome says exactly the same thing, and as I don't have IE (I deleted it as it was causing so many hang ups) I am now stuck and unable to down load caches to my GPS!

Me too,now I have to load waypoints in manually,not worth it. I have tried all browsers,none support this plug in on my old windows Vista.

There are may threads on this forum with solutions. It has nothing to do with the version of Windows you have.

• Chrome no longer supports the plug-in at all.
  • Edge (Win10) never supported it and never will.
  • Firefox does, but you'll have to install the signed version of the plug-in from the add-on store (Extra --> Add-ons).
  • Internet Explorer also supports it, but you might have to add www.geocaching.com to your trusted sites.

Me too,now I have to load waypoints in manually,not worth it. I have tried all browsers,none support this plug in on my old windows Vista.

You don't have to load waypoints manually. You can download waypoints using a Pocket Query or save a list of waypoints to your computer, then use a waypoint manager such as EasyGPS, GSAK, or Basecamp to transfer a list of waypoints to your GPS. Depending on the GPS you have, you most likely can also copy a GPX file containing multiple waypoints directly to the GPS from a computer.

I can confirm that the process outlined by StefandD (just above) works on both a PC and a Mac using Foxfire and their version of the plug in (as of 2/26/16).

I tried On4bams solution and here's what I found: Opening the cache page and right clicking gives you the option to "Save As" but on my computer the only options were to save as an HTML file or a Webpage, Complete, not as a .gpx file. Left clicking showed a .gpx file in the lower left screen corner, right clicking that and chossing "show in folder" revealed the .gpx file which you can then drag and drop into your GPSr .gpx file location on your computer. This is slightly more effort than "send to my GPS" but has the advantage of eliminating the communicator plug as stated.

edexter