Best way to plan caches for a trip with no phone service?

craftycampers

What is the best way to plan my caches for a trip to the Smoky Mountains where I likely won't have phone service for much of the time? I'll be caching with my Iphone 4. I'm a premium member and have the paid app.

Planning.

Be Selective.

Search the area you are going to be in.

BOOKMARK the caches you are interested in. (And any others you might get a chance to go for)

Set up a Pocket Query from the Bookmark, of those caches.

You can run the PQ shortly before you go - or while there, if you have access via internet or wifi- and then load the PQ to the app on your phone.

What is the best way to plan my caches for a trip to the Smoky Mountains where I likely won't have phone service for much of the time? I'll be caching with my Iphone 4. I'm a premium member and have the paid app.

Just guessing here:

Help Center → Apps → Geocaching with iPhone

1.9. How do I Create/Delete an Offline List on the iPhone App?

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=430

B.

You may not have a problem with cell service, depending on where you are going to be at in Smoky Mountains. There are very few caches in GSMNP, I was there in the Cherokee, Bryson City area last weekend and logged a vew virtuals, EarthCaches and one web cam. If you are in the Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge area you will have good cell service, but not so muck in Cades Cove area.

I prepare for trips by solving some of the local puzzle caches, and picking a few other "destination caches" that I am especially interested in. Those go into a bookmark list, and I generate a PQ for that bookmark list. I also create a radius-based PQ with 1000 nearby caches, in case I want to find caches and none of the bookmarked caches are nearby. Most of the time, I view the bookmark PQ in my app, but I've got the radius-based PQ downloaded and ready to view if I want it.

Also, check into downloading offline maps for your app.