GeoArt Ideas Needed

Ever heard of GeoArt? If you haven't, it is basically just geocaches that are arranged so that they form shapes or symbols when they are viewed from the Geocaching.com geocache map. So, do you have any good ideas for a GeoArt project? Please post your ideas and suggestions below. Feel free to post here as many times as you want to. Your ideas are greatly appreciated.

This is an example of GeoArt:

post-11663419-021282800 1434219764_thumb.jpg

Ever heard of GeoArt? If you haven't, it is basically just geocaches that are arranged so that they form shapes or symbols when they are viewed from the Geocaching.com geocache map.

Yeah, it's ? caches placed every 528 feet that form shapes or symbols when they are viewed from the Geocaching.com geocache map. :laughing:

Just another name for power trails. Can you tell I'm not a fan? :D

• Funny 2
  • Surprised 1

Ever heard of GeoArt? If you haven't, it is basically just geocaches that are arranged so that they form shapes or symbols when they are viewed from the Geocaching.com geocache map.

Yeah, it's ? caches placed every 528 feet that form shapes or symbols when they are viewed from the Geocaching.com geocache map. :laughing:

Not all of them, apparently.

Click on the photo in the OP to enlarge it.

B.

Please keep on topic.

Not all of them, apparently.

Click on the photo in the OP to enlarge it.

B.

I still can't get that link to work.

One of two power trails/geoart close me is ? caches placed every 528 feet along a highway and form a pig on the map. The other is 141 ? caches of different D/T ratings, multi's and a Wherigo, and some placed in historic locations that form a house/Inn on the map. It's called a geotour. I would never just go out and log a power trail and call it geoart to have the icons on a map at random places.

I do think it interesting to find traditionals placed that form geoart, but that would be difficult here in the mountains. :)

Edit to add: Got the link to work, that is pretty darn cool. I would attempt those caches.

Edited by Manville Possum Hunters

GeoArt is only limited by your imagination and you dedication to firstly putting it out and then maintaining it. I currently have a 140 cache GeoArt Series in Canberra Australia. In total it took almost 80 hours to hike over 100kms and place all the caches over 10 days plus another 20 hours to type up all the cache descriptions. With GeoArt start small and see how that goes before moving onto something bigger.

1 hour ago, DARKSIDEDAN said:

I currently have the largest Geoart in Canberra, ACT, Australia. Its 180 caches in Size. Its called the UFO Series. Its Small when you compare it to some of the USA Geoart's. It took me 64 hours of hiking to put out and I walked 120kms from the first to the last cache.

Where is this? Interested :)

• Love 1

Geoart:

If you like to learn from the mistakes of others, here is an impressive example how not to do:

https://coord.info/GC38NJ7

There was much work, but a big problem: There was no permissiom from the landowner, forest rangers or the urban administration.

The result: Much trouble, and the Geoart don't exist for ever...

But that was not the only effect. After that, the urban administration prohibited all new Geocaches in that area up to now. Years after that Geoart, there is a Cache density there, like in North Korea. But that wasn't the end of the story and the mistakes. The urban administration noticed, that geocaches means much tourists. So they take much money and hide "professional" geocaches without including the geocaching community. The result: https://coord.info/GC5KJWZ

Zero foundlogs later: Boycott from the Geocacher and Archiv. The urban administration costs that experiment 10600€ taxpayers money...

Greetings Johannis10

PS: Hope you find a better way ...:)

Edited by Johannis10
  • Funny 1
  • Surprised 1