Best FTF rewards

I am going to place two Puzzle caches where I'm going to college, and both are anime themed. If you had to answer questions about animated series and movies, would you be happy with finding a limited edition anime postcard as the FTF prize? What about a stand-alone anime movie?

I wouldn't care much for it, but I'm an old fart.

The theme sounds fun though, and I'd probably try to figure it out and find.

Whenever a ftf prize didn't seem for me, I say "leaving the way-cool FTF prize for the next finder!" in my log.

Often, after a ftf a cache sits for a spell around here until the locals have a weekend to play.

This gives a bit more incentive for others to fly out, kinda. :)

I am going to place two Puzzle caches where I'm going to college, and both are anime themed. If you had to answer questions about animated series and movies, would you be happy with finding a limited edition anime postcard as the FTF prize? What about a stand-alone anime movie?

I wouldn't care much for it, but I'm an old fart.

The theme sounds fun though, and I'd probably try to figure it out and find.

Whenever a ftf prize didn't seem for me, I say "leaving the way-cool FTF prize for the next finder!" in my log.

Often, after a ftf a cache sits for a spell around here until the locals have a weekend to play.

This gives a bit more incentive for others to fly out, kinda. :)

Thank you for your insight. :)

Yesterday I added a NTF (next to find) prize in Hobo's cache. I just thought it would be something different. I did put in an easy cache with a lot of finds and posted a note on the cache page. It's been over 24 hours and haven't gotten any bites. I guess if it's on anybody local's watch list they don't understand the greatness of the prize. Anybody can claim it with a Found It or a Note log. I do hope that whoever takes it posts that they took it. Guess I'll check often to be sure nobody took it and didn't log it.

Noticed your log. So, how'd it turn out?

Yesterday I added a NTF (next to find) prize in Hobo's cache. I just thought it would be something different.

Cool idea. But I guess noone understands your note...how to claim it (by a note? Not by just findig it in the cache?), trade or not to trade for it (you described both)? What and why is that anyway?

Out of the context of this discussion this just gives a big question mark from the view of an innocent watcher...

I'm guessing that either a Note or Found it log would be acceptable so that someone else that has previously found the cache could "find" it again to claim the prize. Personally, I think it sounds like a fun idea, especially if mikemtn continues to drop more NTF prizes in caches and chooses some of his favorite caches to drop in a NTF prize. It might encourage people to find (and possibly hide) more caches that are a cut above a hide-a-key stuck on a sign.

Yesterday I added a NTF (next to find) prize in Hobo's cache. I just thought it would be something different.

Cool idea. But I guess noone understands your note...how to claim it (by a note? Not by just findig it in the cache?), trade or not to trade for it (you described both)? What and why is that anyway?

Out of the context of this discussion this just gives a big question mark from the view of an innocent watcher...

I'm guessing that either a Note or Found it log would be acceptable so that someone else that has previously found the cache could "find" it again to claim the prize. Personally, I think it sounds like a fun idea, especially if mikemtn continues to drop more NTF prizes in caches and chooses some of his favorite caches to drop in a NTF prize. It might encourage people to find (and possibly hide) more caches that are a cut above a hide-a-key stuck on a sign.

Don't bet on it.

6/26..."Well, the Next to Find prize is gone. Nobody has mentioned it in their Found It log so I don't have the pleasure of knowing who got it."

My first hide many years ago was a very unimaginative cache right in front of my house (I lived next to a park in an urban area) and the FTF left a gift (a coin) for me! He noted in his log that it was for me so no one else would take it. I still have it!

I've put FTF gifts in my caches, usually gift cards. I also put a 15th to Find prize for cachers like me who can never seem to be ahead of the usual FTFers. I think my best FTF gift was an awesome miniature ammo can which was greatly appreciated by the finder. I think years later I saw some for sale at GC.com. I currently have gift cards in an unpublished cache. I need to go get those back I reckon.

I know that this is an old thread but I think it's an interesting topic. Planning a multi where the final will have custom artwork taken in the park where the final is located. Also smaller versions for 2TF and 3TF. Worth about $150 for the FTF. Hoping people will enjoy the multi and that the prize will encourage people to go for the 5T final.

FTF prizes I've left in my caches include Travel Bug tags, geocoins, scratch-and-win tickets, and once I left $20.

FTF prizes I've received include Travel Bug tags, geocoins, scratch-and-win tickets, gift cards, and many pins.

Now, most of the above was a few years ago. I've found myself tending not to put in dedicated FTF prizes in my more recent hides, and my more recent FTFs have generally not had FTF prizes. Part of it is that so many more caches are Micros now that can't hold an FTF prize, and part of it seems to be that people just aren't doing it as much anymore.

@cerberus1 and NeverSummer, I've also seen a number of activated trackables left as FTF prizes here in Western Canada. Like you, I find it odd that the "prize" is something already owned by someone else. Just imagine what The Price is Right would be like if they did that: "Congratulations! You've won... that guy's car!" :laughing:

Were the trackables actually mentioned as a FTF prize on the cache page? I like to leave activated TBs in my own caches when I place them. I never intended them as prizes just the added bonus of finding a TB in the cache (always brings a smile to my face anyways). Sometimes they were TBs I was realeasing into the wild and sometimes they have been other TBs I am just moving along. Usually leave a buffalo nickel as FTF prize.

FTF prizes I've left in my caches include Travel Bug tags, geocoins, scratch-and-win tickets, and once I left $20.

FTF prizes I've received include Travel Bug tags, geocoins, scratch-and-win tickets, gift cards, and many pins.

Now, most of the above was a few years ago. I've found myself tending not to put in dedicated FTF prizes in my more recent hides, and my more recent FTFs have generally not had FTF prizes. Part of it is that so many more caches are Micros now that can't hold an FTF prize, and part of it seems to be that people just aren't doing it as much anymore.

@cerberus1 and NeverSummer, I've also seen a number of activated trackables left as FTF prizes here in Western Canada. Like you, I find it odd that the "prize" is something already owned by someone else. Just imagine what The Price is Right would be like if they did that: "Congratulations! You've won... that guy's car!" :laughing:

Were the trackables actually mentioned as a FTF prize on the cache page? I like to leave activated TBs in my own caches when I place them. I never intended them as prizes just the added bonus of finding a TB in the cache (always brings a smile to my face anyways). Sometimes they were TBs I was realeasing into the wild and sometimes they have been other TBs I am just moving along. Usually leave a buffalo nickel as FTF prize.

Definitely. Money is a good FTF prize too.

What is the best FTF reward you have found or put out?

I can't say I've ever been FTF, is it customary to include something? I planning my first and maybe last caches and think spending $10-20 would be fair..

Well, I'm going to place my first cache soon, and I'm gonna put in a copy of YoKai Watch for the Nintendo 3DS. But I'm sorta worried that the finder won't have a 3DS....

Well, I'm going to place my first cache soon, and I'm gonna put in a copy of YoKai Watch for the Nintendo 3DS. But I'm sorta worried that the finder won't have a 3DS....

:laughing:

Of course you could still do it, but since it's dependant on someone with the same tastes as you (what're the odds...), might be better as way-cool swag instead.

- Better odds of like-minded folks visiting than being ftf. :)

Rare for there to be a ftf "prize" around here anymore.

Some things I've used as a FTF prize: Scratch-off Lotto ticket, wooden token, and most recently small metal tokens with a hole whose name cannot be mentioned in these forums...

Things I've found: A Geocaching lapel pin, and a plastic zebra.

It adds a little excitement to get a prize for FTF, but I think anything more than a few dollars is a bit much. It's more about the thought.

Edited by AB&JB

Back in the day, I sometimes placed a Fourth to Find or Fifth to Find prize in my caches - generally unactivated coins, but also themed bobbleheads or other things that seemed noteworthy. I thought the the first finder was there for the blank log and whatever value they placed on that category - but the fifth finder was there for the cache and I would reward them for that. As far as I know, the designation was respected.

Instead of giving prizes, though, i usually decided to spend more on the contents of the cache. Of course some first finders treated that as things they were entitled to take without trading.

I have not seen prizes for first finders in a while. They used to be much more common. Silver coins. $50. Geocoins. Handcrafted items. Gift certificates. Themed political burttons (I am glad that I have a Nixon button as a result). But as caching slowed down and changed in my area, the prizes became less important.

In all of my caches (seven, as of this writing), I place a special handmade FTF "medallion" or "tag", designed especially for that cache. It is layered acrylic and ABS, with printed designs on each side, with a clear acrylic panel laminated over them. It hangs on a real stainless steel USA made ball chain.

In later caches, when I was finally able to obtain them, I also include a First Kid To Find prize. They are yellow smiley bouncy balls. In one themed cache, "Alligator Pears", the FKTF prize was a Safari Ltd Alligator figure.

For most of them, the finders have posted pictures of them at my cache pages.

As for my FTF prize finds, I have none; for in my 252 finds, I have been unable to make any FTFs.