Website logging glitch

Path Pacer

At least, I think it's a glitch. I logged a cache incorrectly yesterday, so I changed my "found it" to a note. I finished the cache properly today and updated the note back to "found it," but the website isn't recognizing the new date (today). It still shows me logging it yesterday in the statistics page.

Will this sort itself out overnight as the system updates itself, or is this a permanent problem? I would like it to show the find on the correct day because I'm working on filling up my 365 grid (stupid reason, I know, but what can I say?). I don't happen to have any other finds today.

Disregard. It sorted itself out.

But, since we're talking about website logging glitches, I just changed a bunch of my duplicate "finds" into "write notes." I didn't realize the website would count another find on the same cache. Can we fix that? I imagine a lot of people just don't know and log a "found it" when they revisit a cache, which is what I was doing when I dropped off a travel bug or had to revisit a cache for a new geotour. I just didn't know what it was doing.

Not a glitch- you originally off it on one day, and whatever else you do, it was still logged that day. Now you can change the date - I've never done it after I logged it, but I think it's an option when you edit the log.

I did change the date, but the website wouldn't move it -- at first. It took a while, but apparently some internal check system kicked in and put it in the right place.

Disregard. It sorted itself out.

But, since we're talking about website logging glitches, I just changed a bunch of my duplicate "finds" into "write notes." I didn't realize the website would count another find on the same cache. Can we fix that? I imagine a lot of people just don't know and log a "found it" when they revisit a cache, which is what I was doing when I dropped off a travel bug or had to revisit a cache for a new geotour. I just didn't know what it was doing.

For re-visiting a cache you previously logged "found it" for the purpose of dropping off or retrieving a trackable, a "write note" log is fine.

For truly duplicate "found it" logs, you can delete the extra ones.

Yes, you can log a cache as "found" more than once, numerous times if you like. (This happens sometimes when logging by phone.)

There's nothing in the system to prevent you from logging "found it" more than once per GC code.

Help Center → Finding a Geocache → Logging a Geocache

4.2. What log type should I use?

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=534

Help Center → Hiding a Geocache → Geocache Ownership: A Long-Term Relationship

3.10. Log Deletion

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=204

B.

Yes, I know the system will let you log multiple finds on the same cache (at least, I know that now). My question is more like, Should it?

You mean log a cache "found it" more than once? It's up to you. If you want to do that, then go ahead. Some cache owners don't care, some will delete the extras.

I think it's silly to log "found it" more than once for the same GC code.

If that's the way you want to bump your numbers up, go for it. Cache owners can delete duplicate logs, though.

If you are just revisiting a cache to drop off or retrieve a trackable, a "write note" log is what I would consider to be normal practice.

But, it's up to you how you log your stuff.

B.

Yes, I know the system will let you log multiple finds on the same cache (at least, I know that now). My question is more like, Should it?
There are a few cases where it is acceptable (and even encouraged) to post more than one Find log to a given cache listing. For example:
  • grandfathered traveling caches, where you can log another Find as long as someone else has rehidden the cache since the last time you found and rehid it.
  • some event caches in areas where the custom is to log the event cache multiple times to reflect the temporary event caches you found during the event.
  • some caches that have been relocated/upgraded, where the owner encourages people who found the previous version to search for the new version, and to post another Find log if they find the new version too.

There are a few cases where it is acceptable (and even encouraged) to post more than one Find log to a given cache listing. For example:

• grandfathered traveling caches, where you can log another Find as long as someone else has rehidden the cache since the last time you found and rehid it.
  • some event caches in areas where the custom is to log the event cache multiple times to reflect the temporary event caches you found during the event.
  • some caches that have been relocated/upgraded, where the owner encourages people who found the previous version to search for the new version, and to post another Find log if they find the new version too.

Perhaps we could have an "enable multiple found logs" option on caches? Then the owners could make it possible for those caches where it's acceptable, but the ones who don't know any better won't be able to mess themselves up.

Just a thought anyway.

Perhaps we could have an "enable multiple found logs" option on caches? Then the owners could make it possible for those caches where it's acceptable, but the ones who don't know any better won't be able to mess themselves up.
Another approach would be to present an alert for multiple Find logs ("You've already logged a Find on this cache; are you sure?"), and/or to block all duplicate logs (same cache, same log type, same log date, same log text).

See also:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=305407

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=332253

Another approach would be to present an alert for multiple Find logs ("You've already logged a Find on this cache; are you sure?")

I like that idea. It would have helped me out earlier. I just assumed the site wouldn't count more than one find for a given cache, but I was wrong.