Geocaching Intro app not displaying some caches?

NoonaB

Hi all,

I'm relatively new to Geocaching but have enjoyed playing so much that I purchased a 12 premium month membership with the Geocacjing Intro app. I then found out that there's a normal? Geocaching app that also has a paid 12 month membership, so I'm not sure if the one I purchased is better or worse, I still don't understand what the differences are if any.

The app has so far worked pretty well for me, however what I don't understand is why when I use it it only shows up the main caches such as Traditional caches, mystery caches and multi caches. It does not show up virtual caches, earth caches or letterbox caches, however if I log into the geocaching website I can see all of these caches. Is this just because I have the intro app or is it not functioning correctly?

Thanks in advance and kind regards

Hello,

I actually have some good news for you. We have submitted an app update to support all cache types and are awaiting approval by Apple's app review team. So you should see an update to the app in the next few days which will show all geocaches to premium members including Lettetbox, Earthcaches, Virtuals, Wherigos, and Webcam caches.

Thanks!

Casey

Neither app will not show ALL of the caches that you see on the map using the website (at one time). The app(s) really have no business showing you caches that are distant. As you change location and do a new search, they will show.

Don't confuse app(s) with the website... they are not the same thing.

The Intro-app is being updated constantly and in the near future I think it will out-perform the paid app altogether. At least that seems to be the route that Groundspeak has been following as late. The Intro-app currently does things that the paid app does not.

Presumably, the Intro-app will show all cache-types at a future point in time. As far as it showing all caches within 40-50-100 miles all at one time -- probably never.

Also -- the paid app is a one-time cost. It is NOT a subscription fee as is the Premium Membership.

Hello,

I actually have some good news for you. We have submitted an app update to support all cache types and are awaiting approval by Apple's app review team. So you should see an update to the app in the next few days which will show all geocaches to premium members including Lettetbox, Earthcaches, Virtuals, Wherigos, and Webcam caches.

Thanks!

Casey

Help Center → Apps → Geocaching with Free App for iPhone

2.1. What Geocaches am I Able to Find with Geocaching's Free App for iPhone?

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=513

Your ability to view and find geocaches on Geocaching's Free App for iPhone will vary by your membership status and which app you have.

We have two types of membership: the Basic (free) membership, and the Premium (paid) membership

We have two types of Geocaching apps for iPhone: the Free app, and the Full-featured (paid) app

If you are a Basic Member, you will see:

All geocaches up to level 1.5 Difficulty and level 1.5 Terrain (D 1.5/T 1.5)

Green dots denote all traditional geocaches, up to level 1.5 Difficulty and level 1.5 Terrain (D 1.5/T 1.5)

Grey circles denote all other geocache types (Mystery, Multi, Earth, Letterbox, Event, CITO, Virtual, Webcam, Project A.P.E) and all levels that are available to Premium Members only

If you are a Premium Member, you will see:

All the features of Basic membership, plus

All Premium member caches

All caches types will be visible and interactive (Traditional (green), Multi (orange), Mystery (blue), Earth (blue), Virtual (blue), Letterbox (blue), Event (red), CITO (red), etc.

List views of all caches on your map

Filters for difficulty, terrain, cache size, hiding previously found caches, distance, and favorite points

Plus the ability to search for landmarks, neighborhood, GC codes, cache names, etc.

Help Center → Apps → Geocaching with Free App for iPhone

2.2. What is the Difference Between the Geocaching's Free App, the Full-featured App, Geocaching Basic Membership, and Geocaching Premium Membership?

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=514

1.21. Geocaching App/Membership Feature Comparison Chart

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=442

B.

I keep seeing people elude to the fact that if you purchase the $10 app, then you get the benefits of the subscription that you'd pay with the intro app.

Then I see stuff about the intro app being updated more often and possibility of phasing out the $10 app.

Can someone clear up the purpose of the $10 app? I've seen people say that it too requires in-app purchases (subscription), then I see people that imply that it doesn't - that you get all benefits from the subscription for just $10...

After finding most every app in my area a few years ago, and my kids getting older, we had stopped geocaching but now would like to start up again.

Anyone know who can clarify?

I keep seeing people elude to the fact that if you purchase the $10 app, then you get the benefits of the subscription that you'd pay with the intro app.

Then I see stuff about the intro app being updated more often and possibility of phasing out the $10 app.

Can someone clear up the purpose of the $10 app? I've seen people say that it too requires in-app purchases (subscription), then I see people that imply that it doesn't - that you get all benefits from the subscription for just $10...

After finding most every app in my area a few years ago, and my kids getting older, we had stopped geocaching but now would like to start up again.

Anyone know who can clarify?

Did you look at the comparison chart that Pup Patrol linked to earlier? It gives a clear summary of what each app is capable of when combined with the different membership levels.

Whoever told you that the paid app was equivalent to the Intro app + Premium membership was very mistaken. The two apps are very different, both in functionality and look-and-feel.