COINTEST! - Summer Time Celebrations

kini_ont

It has been a long time since I've held a geocoin contest and what better time to call one ~ It's Summer Time and Celebrations are happening all over our town, province & nation.

I've picked out 3 celebrations that I'll be part of, in fact one just happened today. So with that I post a picture and you get to do a little digging and answer some questions. Each correct answer (or close to it if the judges are in agreement) gets you a ticket with your name on it for a draw. Winning prize is a geocoin. This geocoin:

c94608b2-137c-4008-832b-5f1186435fb7_l.jpg

The cointest will run from today till June 30th at that time I'll post how many tickets you've accumulated. The drawing will be on July 1st "Canada Day". You may submit answers every 24 hours (once a day) but you only get credit for 1 correct answer (so if you get all 15 possible questions right on the first day I'll pm you so that you can start giving wrong answers to throw off the others :P ). Good Luck All!

854e150e-2856-44e3-9185-ea556d728ba1_l.jpg What is this? What meaning does it bring & when? Tell me about it (size, weight, etc.)? ~ Possible 8 tickets here!

9afa9158-1837-48b5-9801-31612854ce71_l.jpgEasy one :) what are we celebrating & when? GC code & original date of placement? ~ 4 tickets here.

8ffe5a8b-e43d-4d40-82b6-89d272d6025f_l.jpgA rendez-vous of sorts :) What is the celebration, when & why? 3 possible tickets here.

I'll give it a shot (though I'm pretty sure some of my answers aren't anywhere near correct) :P

First Picture: (Really I have no idea)

Manitoba Marathon Geocaching Streak Ball and Chain?

Holder of the longest geocaching streak in Canada?

Changes hands when somebody beats the current streak held by KeeGee

Looks like a replica of the Olympic torch (which are approximately 47 cm and 960 g)

This one looks more like a ball point pen sized replica

Second Picture:

COG Celebrates 15 Years of Geocaching in Canada

June 28, 2015

GC41/GCBBA

Originally placed 06/28/2000

Third Picture:

Rendez-vous Champlain Penetanguishene 2015

July 31-August 2, 2015

Celebrations that commemorates the 400th anniversary of Samuel de Champlain's

arrival in Ontario, Canada

Historical tours to acquaint visitors with the history of the area.

Edited by steben6

Will just answer the first pic today - that is a torch for the Toronto Pan Am/Parapan Am games. The relay last 41 days through about 130 communities mostly in Ontario. It was lit in May 2015 at the pyramids of Teotihuacan, Mexico. The torch will be carried by about 3000 torchbearers and travel about 20,000 km. The The aluminum torch stands 65 centimetres high and weighs 1.2 kilograms. With a burn time of 10 to 12 minutes, the flame can withstand winds of up to 70 kilometres per hour and is visible in all kinds of weather conditions. Very cool if you are a torchbearer.

Seekerfamily

Item the first

Awesomely cool !

Parapan Am Flame

The Parapan Am flame represents the history and spirit of the Games; it is a symbol uniting the 28 Americas Paralympic Committee (APC) member nations.

The flames will be lit during two special ceremonies: one in Ottawa and the other in Niagara Falls. During the five-day inspirational journey, the flames will travel toward Toronto where they will unite before lighting the cauldron at the Opening Ceremony of the TORONTO 2015 Parapan Am Games.

Okay, changing my first answer ;)

It's the torch for the Toronto 2015 Pam Am Games. The torch relay goes from May 30 - July 10, 2015.

The TORONTO 2015 Pan Am Games Torch Relay will be a 41-day journey that will share the Pan Am spirit in more than 130 communities. Deeply rooted in history and tradition, the Pan Am flame will be lit in May 2015 during a traditional ceremony in Teotihuacan, Mexico, before it travels to Canada.

The torch relay will start in Canada on May 30, 2015, and will make its final stop on July 10, 2015, at the Opening Ceremony of the TORONTO 2015 Pan Am Games.

The Pan Am flame represents the history and spirit of the Games; it is a symbol that unites the 41 Pan American Sports Organization (PASO) member nations.

The flame for the Pan Am Games is lit during a traditional ceremony at the Pyramid of the Sun, in Teotihuacan, Mexico. Following the lighting, the flame will be handed over to a representative from the Host City. The flame will then be flown back to Canada to begin its nationwide journey before arriving in Toronto to light the cauldron at Opening Ceremony, which signifies the start of the TORONTO 2015 Pan Am Games.

Info on the torch:

◦Length: 65 cm

◦Weight: 1.2 kg

◦Material: aluminum

◦10 to 12 minutes’ burn time

◦Can withstand winds up to 70 km/h

◦Visible in all weather conditions

First picture:

It is a torch for the Toronto Pan Am/Parapan Am games. The relay last 41 days through about 130 communities, mostly in Ontario. It was lit in May 2015 at the pyramids of Teotihuacan, Mexico. The torch will be carried by about 3000 torchbearers and travel about 20,000 km. The The aluminum torch stands 65 centimetres high and weighs 1.2 kilograms. With a burn time of 10 to 12 minutes, the flame can withstand winds of up to 70 kilometres per hour and is visible in all kinds of weather conditions. The Pan Am flame represents the history and spirit of the Games; it is a symbol that unites the 41 Pan American Sports Organization (PASO) member nations.

Second picture:

COG Celebrates 15 Years of Geocaching in Canada, June 28, 2015

GC41/GCBBA, Originally placed 06/28/2000

Third picture:

Rendez-vous Champlain Penetanguishene 2015, to be held from July 31 to August 2, 2015

Celebrations that commemorates the 400th anniversary of Samuel de Champlain's arrival in Ontario, Canada

Thanks for the cointest!

Pic #1. That is a torch for the Toronto Pan Am/Parapan Am games. The relay last 41 days through about 130 communities mostly in Ontario. It was lit in May 2015 at the pyramids of Teotihuacan, Mexico. The torch will be carried by about 3000 torchbearers and travel about 20,000 km. The The aluminum torch stands 65 centimetres high and weighs 1.2 kilograms. With a burn time of 10 to 12 minutes, the flame can withstand winds of up to 70 kilometres per hour and is visible in all kinds of weather conditions. Very cool if you are a torchbearer.

Pic #3. The Rendez-Vous Champlain festival commemorates the 400th anniversary of Samuel de Champlain’s arrival in Ontario. Happening 400 years to-the-day, this commemoration is set to inclue a procession, Fish Fry, Fireworks, Interactive Workshops and displays, Live Music concert, Feast of the Three Sisters Gala, a re-enactment of Samuel de Champlain’s arrival and more. The festival will take place from Friday July 31 to Sunday August 2, 2015 The festival will be held at Penetanguishene Rotary Park 8 Owen Street Penetanguishene, ON L9M 1M8 Canada.

Thanks for the cointest.

Seekerfamily

#1 - This is the torch from the Toronto torch Relay 2015. This is a 41 day journey from May 30 to July 10 that will go thorough 130 communities. It will share the Pan Am spirit that will be lit in Mexico before it makes its journey to Canada. It represents the history and spirit of the games and is a symbol that unites the nations. The torch itself is 65 cm long, 1.2kg, made of aluminum, burns for 10-12 mins, and withstand wind up to 70 kms. It is visible in all weather conditions and can accommodate may modes of transportation.

#2 - This is a geocoin that commemorates the first geocache placed in canada. It is from east river nova scotia. It was placed on June 28 2000, GCBBA. The celebration will be on June 28, 2015.

#3 - This event being held in Penetanguishene ON, this year it is from July 31 to Aug2. It celebrates the arrival of Champlian, his Huron hosts, Huronia and the French with 400 years presence in Ontario.

Thank you for this contest. Got to read up about a few things i didn't know where going on.

Thank you very much kini_ont.

We really appreciate the cointest as we don't ever see any here anymore. We have always liked your coins. Can you tell us more about the different pics. Did you participate in the torch relay?

Thanks,

Seekerfamily (Dave)

Will message address to you.

Thank you very much kini_ont.

We really appreciate the cointest as we don't ever see any here anymore. We have always liked your coins. Can you tell us more about the different pics. Did you participate in the torch relay?

Thanks,

Seekerfamily (Dave)

Will message address to you.

Thank you Seekerfamily I for one have always enjoyed the cointests that have run here and will try to continue them.

No did not get selected to run with the torch (in my case it would have been walk slowly)but did know a few of the participants who were lucky too. I was able to see and be at the town ceremony when it arrived in Penetanguishene, we've had a few world class athletes reside in our fair community so it was fitting that we be included in a stop of the torch relay.

The second picture was of my swag tag which will be included in the geocoin celebrating Canada's first geocache, there's been a slight delay of the coin and swag due to production problems but I'm sure that it will work out in the long run. Interesting enough at an event celebrating the 15th year I met a fellow cacher (The Marathon Man) who also participated in the geocoin project, he lives 10 1/2 hrs away but waited at the coordinates for our event to happen as he was passing through. I'll try and remember to post a picture of the trades of the project as there are many interesting colourizations done. BTW your geocoin will be in Monday's mail to you.

The final of course is the 400th year celebrations of the arrival of Samuel de Champlain, many of the caches are spotted on the trails for this man who visited same 400 years ago. Hope to take in the festivities and may be even hold a caching event at that time.

Wow-whee!

I just received a contest prize in the mail!

Total surprise, I hav nt been keeping up with things, so what's wonderful coin elope. THANK YOU !!

And P.S. The weirdness of the above message is due to me not understanding the idiocy that auto-correct imposes.

Wow-whee!

I just received a contest prize in the mail!

Total surprise, I hav nt been keeping up with things, so what's wonderful coin elope. THANK YOU !!

And P.S. The weirdness of the above message is due to me not understanding the idiocy that auto-correct imposes.

Just so we all know ... it is CONFIRMED that you 'eloped' with your prize ... !! ... ??