Beta message center is here to stay!

K13

I guess the reasoning is, "If it isn't broke, then let's break it in the name of progress and then try to fix it down the line."

My biggest gripe about the MC is that they chose to release it just after releasing the new Search interface. Although there have been some improvements to the search interface there are still a lot of things that need to be fixed and I would rather see their developer focus on what should be the core piece of functionality for a listing site then introduce another feature that has flaws as well. Instead we have a hodge podge of a new search interface which doesn't produce a list of caches that can be downloaded, links to a map that isn't useful unless one removes the filters set during the search, has links to the old search to provide functionality that isn't in the new search, and lots of people using third party software to do what that GS site should be doing.

I guess the reasoning is, "If it isn't broke, then let's break it in the name of progress and then try to fix it down the line."

My biggest gripe about the MC is that they chose to release it just after releasing the new Search interface. Although there have been some improvements to the search interface there are still a lot of things that need to be fixed and I would rather see their developer focus on what should be the core piece of functionality for a listing site then introduce another feature that has flaws as well. Instead we have a hodge podge of a new search interface which doesn't produce a list of caches that can be downloaded, links to a map that isn't useful unless one removes the filters set during the search, has links to the old search to provide functionality that isn't in the new search, and lots of people using third party software to do what that GS site should be doing.

It's called progress <_<

Within a few days of being introduced, Message Center was being used to start more conversations than email. Since then, there hasn't been a day when email use exceeded MC use. I realize you don't like MC. And some reviewers don't like MC. But the stats indicate that a lot of people do like MC.

By this logic, most people like spam because they get so much of it in their in box.

Now that there's funny! :laughing: :laughing:

Mrs. Car54

I'm going to buck the system and reveal that I actually like the message center. I think the disconnect is with people who do not use their smartphone for caching. My problem with the MC is that last I checked, they only offer it for the intro app and not the paid app. I found it quite convenient when testing it in the intro app.

If they could figure out a way to allow people to email to a special address and then have that integrate with the MC so not app users could use it easily, I think we'd see a lot less complaints.

I'm an old timer, but I have switched to primarily using my phone and it's a nice addition, imho.

I do not cache with my phone generally, and when I do, I use the app that I actually paid money for, silly me.

I use the app I paid for too. I'm not following...

The paid app doesn't have the messaging feature.

If they could figure out a way to allow people to email to a special address and then have that integrate with the MC so not app users could use it easily, I think we'd see a lot less complaints.
Yep. And if the goal is to facilitate communication among geocachers, then it would be good to enable email users to communicate with MC users, each group using their preferred system.

Right now the situation is extremely unfortunate and became worse by the change that the contents of the first message is sent via e-mail. If user A contacts user B via the MC and user B answers via e-mail and user A replies soon afterwards by the MC again, user B will easily not become aware of the new message as no notification is sent out at all for that second message. That has happened to me already and it's quite annoying and makes communicating more difficult than before and not easier as claimed.

Those who have no intent whatsoever to use the MC for chatting, should at least be able to turn on notifations for every message received via the MC.

As others I think that another reason why the MC is used by many users is that they do not realize that there exists another option. The send message to link previously has been used for e-mail.

Edited by cezanne

If user A contacts user B via the MC and user B answers via e-mail and user A replies soon afterwards by the MC again, user B will easily not become aware of the new message as no notification is sent out at all for that second message.

WHAT? That's absolutely ridiculous.

If user A contacts user B via the MC and user B answers via e-mail and user A replies soon afterwards by the MC again, user B will easily not become aware of the new message as no notification is sent out at all for that second message.

WHAT? That's absolutely ridiculous.

It's not ridiculous at all.

I've engaged in threads via the message centre where only the first exchange back and forth has triggered an email confirmation and subsequent posts did not.

It is ridiculous, but it is the way it works. It was even explained that way by a lackey in the past. I beleive if less than a half hour has passed there will be no new notification. I'm sure somebody can find the reference quicker than I can on my phone.

Edited by cheech gang

It is ridiculous, but it is the way it works. It was even explained that way by a lackey in the past. I beleive if less than a half hour has passed there will be no new notification. I'm sure somebody can find the reference quicker than I can on my phone.

It's just mind-boggling that something could be so poorly designed. It's like they've made it bad on purpose.

It's just mind-boggling that something could be so poorly designed. It's like they've made it bad on purpose.

But, if a new email notification was sent every time a new message was sent in MC, the forums would be filled with people complaining about the number of emails notifications being sent.

Here's another example of "You can't please everyone":

Right now the situation is extremely unfortunate and became worse by the change that the contents of the first message is sent via e-mail.

After it was first implemented, one of the main complaints was "I get an email notification but it doesn't tell me the content so I have to log on to the site to see if the message actually needs a reply or not." That change gets implemented and then we see complaints that the content is being included.

Maybe it's because I've worked in I.T. for so many years, but no one ever likes change so sometimes a service provider like Groundspeak just has to go ahead and drive forward with their plans knowing full well there will be a small minority of people who complain loudly but who will eventually accept the inevitable change.

It is ridiculous, but it is the way it works.

While it may be working as designed, it may not necessarily be working as expected by the user. The new search (where the main search field is not a main search field) is another example where the tool works as designed, but does not work in the manner expected by the user.

I have to give kudos to Groundspeak's developers for their skills. They generally do a very good job of making things work as designed or fixing things that are broken. They aren't the problem. The main problem really lies in the design phase, where the expectations of the users aren't being met. I did see recently that Groundspeak has a job opening for a UX Designer, so hopefully they can fill that position with someone experienced who can better direct the design phase.

But, if a new email notification was sent every time a new message was sent in MC, the forums would be filled with people complaining about the number of emails notifications being sent.

That's why I suggested an option that allows the users to choose whether they wish to receive e-mail notifications of all messages.

Someone who normally uses e-mail and does not use the mc for a chat like communication will probably prefer to receive an e-mail for each message sent while others users will stay with the current

version. Leave it up to the users. If sending out notifications for the first message, it can't be a technical issue to send out notifications for further messages.

It just requires the will to do so and to understand that not everyone has chat and social media like communication in mind.

Here's another example of "You can't please everyone":

Right now the situation is extremely unfortunate and became worse by the change that the contents of the first message is sent via e-mail.

After it was first implemented, one of the main complaints was "I get an email notification but it doesn't tell me the content so I have to log on to the site to see if the message actually needs a reply or not." That change gets implemented and then we see complaints that the content is being included.

The issue is caused by an unfortunate combination. If the content is sent by e-mail, there is no need to go visit the message center and so it is even easier to overlook messages sent via the mc.

Maybe it's because I've worked in I.T. for so many years, but no one ever likes change so sometimes a service provider like Groundspeak just has to go ahead and drive forward with their plans knowing full well there will be a small minority of people who complain loudly but who will eventually accept the inevitable change.

I would not say that anything in connection with the mc is an inevitable change. The fact that the volunteer reviewers managed to convince Groundspeak that they want to continue to communicate with cachers by e-mail demonstrates quite well the strengths of communication via e-mail and the weaknesses of communication via the mc.

It's unfortunate if I happen to miss a message and maybe find it hours or days later when it is something that I normally would reply to within less than 5 minutes.

Edited by cezanne

That's why I suggested an option that allows the users to choose whether they wish to receive e-mail notifications of all messages.

Someone who normally uses e-mail and does not use the mc for a chat like communication will probably prefer to receive an e-mail for each message sent while others users will stay with the current

version. Leave it up to the users. If sending out notifications for the first message, it can't be a technical issue to send out notifications for further messages.

It just requires the will to do so and to understand that not everyone has chat and social media like communication in mind.

^This

Another person noted the following

I want control of my messages. I want to be able to search through them, sort them, delete them, save them, forward them, cc and bcc them... my email allows me to do that. I don't see what the MC adds to that... all it does is subtract. I don't know how many messages you now have in your MC, but try searching through them to find something from a few weeks ago. Good luck.

I liked what they said so much, I had to share.

I want control of my messages. I want to be able to search through them, sort them, delete them, save them, forward them, cc and bcc them... my email allows me to do that. I don't see what the MC adds to that... all it does is subtract. I don't know how many messages you now have in your MC, but try searching through them to find something from a few weeks ago. Good luck.

+1

+1

Do your statistics also include the source of the messages and the length of time the users of the MC have been active geocachers? In other words... are the majority of those users new accounts that are using the intro app, or have a significant portion of your long-term members come to accept it and prefer it to email?

I've been caching since 2004 and I started using the MC with no trauma or drama as soon as it appeared. I never commented on the original thread expressing the pain and horror caused by this feature, or on this one (until now) because the arguments seemed trivial and silly.

I suspect there are a lot more folks out there who feel the same way. People who dislike a feature are always more verbal than those who either like it or are indifferent.

Do your statistics also include the source of the messages and the length of time the users of the MC have been active geocachers? In other words... are the majority of those users new accounts that are using the intro app, or have a significant portion of your long-term members come to accept it and prefer it to email?

I've been caching since 2004 and I started using the MC with no trauma or drama as soon as it appeared. I never commented on the original thread expressing the pain and horror caused by this feature, or on this one (until now) because the arguments seemed trivial and silly.

I suspect there are a lot more folks out there who feel the same way. People who dislike a feature are always more verbal than those who either like it or are indifferent.

How many messages have you got saved in the MC currently? Have you tried going back and looking for something in one of the older ones? This isn't simply angst about new technology... this is about functionality. Newer isn't necessarily bad, but it also isn't necessarily better.

So, the way I see it, if I get a message I get an e-mail that tells me I have a message in the message center and if I get an e-mail I get the e-mail ... both come to the same spot on my phone or computer ... so why would I bother with the message center?

I don't know about you, but the only reason I ever use the message center is because I can't reply to the e-mail notifying me of a message.