GSAK incompatibility with Basecamp

El Dorado Kid

I'm really frustrated now. Thought I'd reach out and see if anyone can help. For over ten years, using Mapsource and an eTrex HCX, I was able to create pocket queries and sort them with Geocaching Swiss Army Knife (GSAK) and download the sorted files. I recently bought an eTrex 30 and discovered that Mapsouce is incompatible with the eTrex 30. Instead the only way to manage GPS data is through Basecamp, which is completely different. Garmin, in its infinite wisdom, has abandoned Mapsource and created Basecamp to manage waypoints and geocaches. For a while I was able to create geocache files for download to the eTrex 30 with GSAK and Basecamp. But, in the last month, Basecamp would no longer load all the cache details and instead just use the generic waypoint names from geocaching with no cache information at all except coordinates. I contacted Garmin and apparently there now seems to be a software incompatibility/corruption problem with GPX files created in GSAK and used by Basecamp. I asked Garmin how to create GPX files, they told me to immediately stop using GSAK and use geocaching.com or opencaching but could not answer my question about sorting the pocket queries (such as to filter out DNFs and other characteristics of my choosing). Garmin claims that it's GSAK's problem. GSAK claims that the problem is Garmin's Basecamp software and that Garmin won't fix the software issues they have. I don't know of any way to sort the pocket queries as I used to be able to do in GSAK. It seems that there is an impasse between Garmin and GSAK. Furthermore, Garmin told me to uninstall Basecamp, and delete any backups I might have of the data and reinstall Basecamp, thus losing ALL data that I created in the last year! I was shocked! So, now, I do not know how to sort a pocket query to eliminate caches that do not meet the sort criteria, like I used to be able to do with GSAK. Has anyone had this issue and solved it? I'm so fed up that this Garmin/GSAK impasse is taking the fun out of geocaching for me...

I have an etrex 30 and use GSAK. I don't even have basecamp installed on my machine.

I upload PQ's and GPX files into a database in GSAK, delete any caches I'm just not interested in, filter to just those I want to export and then plug the etrex into a usb port.

When the etrex wakes up I go to Garmin\GPX and delete everything in that folder. Not the folder itself, all files and sub-folders.

Then I use GSAK's File/Export > GPX/LOC file feature to load the caches to the etrex. The path should be G:\Garmin\GPX\Caches.gpx (Change the drive letter to suit and change the file name if you want). I use File Type GPX Ver 1.0, all child waypoints, 20 logs and a few other options. Then I run the export and safely remove the etrex once it has finished.

I always start the etrex to ensure the caches are registered - very occasionally it says that no caches are loaded, which is a wee bit frustrating when you are in the middle of nowhere.

I installed Basecamp ages ago and hardly ever used it. I had to rebuild my PC after a SSD failure and haven't reinstalled it - I see no reason to do so.

Cheers and happy caching

Tony

I have an etrex 30 and use GSAK. I don't even have basecamp installed on my machine.

I upload PQ's and GPX files into a database in GSAK, delete any caches I'm just not interested in, filter to just those I want to export and then plug the etrex into a usb port.

When the etrex wakes up I go to Garmin\GPX and delete everything in that folder. Not the folder itself, all files and sub-folders.

Then I use GSAK's File/Export > GPX/LOC file feature to load the caches to the etrex. The path should be G:\Garmin\GPX\Caches.gpx (Change the drive letter to suit and change the file name if you want). I use File Type GPX Ver 1.0, all child waypoints, 20 logs and a few other options. Then I run the export and safely remove the etrex once it has finished.

I always start the etrex to ensure the caches are registered - very occasionally it says that no caches are loaded, which is a wee bit frustrating when you are in the middle of nowhere.

I installed Basecamp ages ago and hardly ever used it. I had to rebuild my PC after a SSD failure and haven't reinstalled it - I see no reason to do so.

Cheers and happy caching

Tony

I use this method too. The only thing I don't like with the newer Garmins is when you load a GPX file you can't delete individual waypoints. So instead of delete you have to use the option Needs Repair for it to not show up.

An even better method for exporting from GSAK is via a macro (Don't know if GarminExport supports Etrex).

Yes, GSAK GarminExport supports the eTrex models. I used it often when I had an eTrex 30.

I don't see a need to use BaseCamp if you are primarily using GSAK, unless it's for something that GSAK doesn't do. ie, map installs, track management, etc.