Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Touchstone

Sun Protection

10 posts in this topic

I usually cover up pretty well when I go out, and put on plenty of sun lotion, but lately I've seen more hiker types using these tubular bandanas to cover up their face and neck. Two popular brands are Hoo Rag and Buff, but I was wondering if folks here have any experience with any other brands that are cool enough to wear in the heat of the day.

After a friend lost an ear (cancer) while sailboating, I tried to use the Buff and Coolibar face and hand/arm stretchy things while surf fishing.

Didn't like the cling, and in no time I'd be soaked, wanting to rip 'em off.

Still wear a coolmax longsleeve shirt sometimes, and often a wide-brimmed hat, but now mostly just lather up the sunscreen if in total sun.

- I don't wear any of that stuff when hiking anymore. Just nylon against my skin is sticking within an hour.

I hike to have fun, not feel uncomfortable. :)

Live in the Pacific Northwest. You'll become Vitamin D deficient in no time. :laughing:

If it's really sunny, I have a hat for that in addition to sunscreen. I'm allergic to the sun and my body sucks at soaking up Vitamin D so I take supplements for that and if you do have the sun allergy, 50 SPF sunscreen is actually recommended and there's a prescription cream for the rash as well as some supplements (can't remember the name) that I want to try that you take before you go out. I currently use just a sports sunscreen but I need to change to the 50 SPF, which can be a bit pricey.

A hat with a broad brim is a big step in the right direction. No amount of sunscreen is as effective as shade. And Sunscreen wears off over time...while the hat keeps your face, ears, neck all protected.

A thin, light-colored cotton shirt is good too - it keeps most sun off arms and body, and doesn't feel too hot except in the hottest weather.

Best bet is to stay totally out of the sun between 10 AM and 4 PM (1000 hrs. - 1600 hrs.).

:anibad: BullFrog Sunscreen is great stuff, I've used it many times when climbing. Snow really reflects the sun & BullFrog protects.

Give it a try & maybe just meet your needs.

On 3/15/2017 at 0:42 AM, wmpastor said:

A thin, light-colored cotton shirt is good too - it keeps most sun off arms and body, and doesn't feel too hot except in the hottest weather.

Best bet is to stay totally out of the sun between 10 AM and 4 PM (1000 hrs. - 1600 hrs.).

I agree 100% that is what a Skin Dr. told me once, stay away form the sun around those hours then you can go out and always wear sunscreen which and very bad at using. Through out the years this will affect your skin if you are not cautious about protecting it, when you are young you don't care but is very important to be protected from the sun. I carry in my GeoBag a sunscreen and lip balm cause is important to me. I've never use anything like bandanas unless is a cooler weather and will wear one around my neck but that's about it.

OT, but...

If I still did park n grabs, maybe canning the day hours would work, but any actual hike wouldn't be practical outside that timeframe.   :)

On two stages of a multi two months ago, I started at 0600 and still didn't get back to parking until 1600.

- And didn't find it...:D