New Search, Events filter only, yields TONS of non-event caches!

Mrs.Hoagie

I'm using the new Search option, adjusting the filters to remove all cache types, then add in only the Events filter. Instead of showing only events, the results show events, plus a number (varies by search) of other caches, mostly but not all mystery caches.

Frustrating, and makes it tough to find the Events I was looking for.

This has been a problem since the new Search was introduced, but I didn't report it, hoping it would resolve itself in time. I also searched the forums, but didn't find this particular problem reported.

Here's the URL of my most recent attempt.

https://www.geocaching.com/play/search/@40.03788,-76.30551?origin=Lancaster,+Pennsylvania&ot=3&g=325387&radius=30mi&types=6

Thank you.

Carolyn K. / Mrs.Hoagie

I'm using the new Search option, adjusting the filters to remove all cache types, then add in only the Events filter. Instead of showing only events, the results show events, plus a number (varies by search) of other caches, mostly but not all mystery caches.

This has been a problem since the new Search was introduced, but I didn't report it, hoping it would resolve itself in time. I also searched the forums, but didn't find this particular problem reported.

https://www.geocachi...us=30mi&types=6

Thank you.

Carolyn K. / Mrs.Hoagie

When I clicked on that URL I saw 7 events in the Lancaster, PA area and no other cache types. There was a recent bug reported related to mulit/puzzle caches getting included in search results. Perhaps it's been fixed.

https://www.geocaching.com/play/search/@40.03788,-76.30551?origin=Lancaster,+Pennsylvania&ot=3&g=325387&radius=30mi&types=6

Thank you.

Carolyn K. / Mrs.Hoagie

When I click your link, I get taken to a page displaying 7 event caches (6 events and 1 CITO) and nothing else.

B.

Thank you.

Carolyn K. / Mrs.Hoagie

When I click your link, I get taken to a page displaying 7 event caches (6 events and 1 CITO) and nothing else.

B.

Same here.

- But it also says the farthest is 29 miles away, when it's more like 100.

Yup, the distances are messed up. And it shows me 69 different caches up to 30.4 miles from Lancaster PA, closer to my home location. Here's a screen shot of some of what I see. A bunch of them are caches that I've found, mysteries, multis. The rest are caches that I have NOT found, as you see the first one on the bottom of the screen shot. And I do NOT see 7 event caches - wish I did - because I'm looking for a L.O.S.T. (Lancaster) event for next month!

Correction: I do see 7 events (went back and counted) but not the one I'm looking for. Must not be published yet.

Hmm, apparently I cannot include a screen shot without publishing it somewhere first. Suggestions?

Carolyn

Edited by Mrs.Hoagie

I've seen some persistent strange results in New Search. I once made a screen shot of a list of randomly sorted Favorites, and while comparing screens to post the "bug", the whole problem cleared up.

[...]

You shouldn't give a location in the first try.

DO NOT USE THE WHITE SEARCH FORM.

Directly hit the "Add filter" button and set your filters:

https://www.geocachi...ch?types=6&r=39

You'll get 63 events.

Hans

Edited by HHL

You shouldn't give a location in the first try.

DO NOT USE THE WHITE SEARCH FORM.

Directly hit the "Add filter" button and set your filters:

https://www.geocachi...ch?types=6&r=39

You'll get 63 events.

Hans

Thanks, Hans, but... this gives me 63 events based HERE at home. I didn't want home, I wanted Lancaster. I can't even figure out where these are, without clicking for details. 226.4 miles from here? Huh? Lancaster is only 31 miles away.

I guess we're back to, SEARCH doesn't do what I need (find the local Lancaster Events), and maybe it would, but I stumbled into a bug where, if I use the white search form and enter the location I'm looking for, I get all those mystery and multi caches, too, along with archived caches mixed in with the events.

And that's where I started... I'd like to report a bug.

Thanks all.

P.S. I use my archived caches to know what I've done in the past, and honestly, I've not been able to add a picture to a cache without hosting it somewhere first (now difficult due to my own website development stage). Sorry I'm being "thick" kunarion. Or... can we now upload pics directly from PC to cache since the updated website? I haven't tried since then... Publishing a cache shortly, already written - I'll experiment there. Thanks.

[...] Thanks, Hans, but... this gives me 63 events based HERE at home. I didn't want home, I wanted Lancaster. I can't even figure out where these are, without clicking for details. 226.4 miles from here? Huh? Lancaster is only 31 miles away.

[...]

The New Search results are sorted by distance from your given home coordinates. If they don't sort like that, then you're probably forget to set your home coordinates in your profile.

Hans

Edited by HHL

Or simply click on the Geocaching discussions by Country in these forums, click on US subforums, and finally click on your State (PA).

- It'll show new events, new caches and trackables recently moved. :)

No go, ceberus1, thanks to us living in counties adjacent to a state line minutes away, but 6+ hours from several edges of our state. Really do need the search to be from a given point, in this case Lancaster PA.

Thanks anyway.

Carolyn / Mrs.Hoagie

The New Search results are sorted by distance from your given home coordinates. If they don't sort like that, then you're probably forget to set your home coordinates in your profile.

Hans

Nope, I set my home coordinates. And these are sorted by whatever column I click on, or by event name by default. Still can't figure out where caches are hundreds of miles away when I wanted caches in the next county. Not even sure these are in state.

Ah, did a "Map this location" and found your result isn't a search at all, Hans. It's a click on the link to all caches in a state, as cerberus1 described. Unfortunately, since we live so close to the state line, this means that we don't get local events (>30 miles from either my home, or the center of the search I was trying to do, Lancaster PA) just over the Delaware or Maryland state lines, but instead get events from hundreds of miles away (Erie).

So... it's broke. And the instructions said to report bugs here. How do these get back to Groundspeak?

Carolyn K. / Mrs.Hoagie

[...] Ah, did a "Map this location" and found your result isn't a search at all, Hans. It's a click on the link to all caches in a state, as cerberus1 described. Unfortunately, since we live so close to the state line, this means that we don't get local events (>30 miles from either my home, or the center of the search I was trying to do, Lancaster PA) just over the Delaware or Maryland state lines, but instead get events from hundreds of miles away (Erie). [...]

Did you try the link from my post #9? It gives you a bit more from beyond the borders. :blink:

https://www.geocaching.com/play/search?types=6&r=39,21,31,9

Hans

The New Search results are sorted by distance from your given home coordinates.

...if your search didn't have a specified centre-point. However, if you enter a location in the main search field, the distances will be relative to that location, not your profile's home location.

...if your search didn't have a specified centre-point. However, if you enter a location in the main search field, the distances will be relative to that location, not your profile's home location.

Sorry, A-Team, that's what I did originally, and that's exactly what the earlier posters in this thread told me NOT to do, as it creates another (known bug) problem, where the search results include dozens of mystery and multi-caches in addition to the specified Event caches.

Thanks.

Carolyn K. / Mrs.Hoagie

...if your search didn't have a specified centre-point. However, [...]

... then the resulting pages are always sorted by distance (given from your profile page). :rolleyes:

Just try it.

Hans

[...]

That's more useful.

So... how did you create this, so I can recreate it in the future?

Carolyn

I do it with a GSAK macro that just compiles the search url. Actually we can do it manually as well.

Bookmark the given url.

If you later call the url you may change all settings with clicking the button "Change Filters". The state's compilation of the url will stay intact unless you didn't change them (so leave the "Limit to ..." field alone).

Hans

Edit: added link to the above mentioned macro.

Edited by HHL

...if your search didn't have a specified centre-point. However, [...]

... then the resulting pages are always sorted by distance (given from your profile page). :rolleyes:

Just try it.

Hans

Huh? You seem to be implying that I'm wrong, but then you give evidence and statements that completely agree with what I said.

To be clear:

• If you specify a centre-point by entering a location in the main search field, the distance in the results will be calculated based on that centre-point location.
  • If you do not specify a centre-point by leaving the main search field empty, the distance in the results will be calculated based on the home location you set in your account details.

Trust me, I understand how the new search works and I'm one of the last people who needs to learn more about it. I almost literally wrote the book on it! That reminds me, I need to update my guide to take some of the recent changes into account.

[...]

To be clear:

• If you specify a centre-point by entering a location in the main search field, the distance in the results will be calculated based on that centre-point location.
  • If you do not specify a centre-point by leaving the main search field empty, the distance in the results will be calculated based on the home location you set in your account details.

[...]

Right.

Seems to be that there are some language issues on my side.:huh:

You've my apologies

Hans

Thank you.

Carolyn K. / Mrs.Hoagie

We released an update to the search page this afternoon which fixes a bug that we believe was causing the issue you described (along with other erroneous results). Please try your initial search again and let us know if you continue to see errors in the results. Thanks for reporting your issues!

Did you try the link from my post #9? It gives you a bit more from beyond the borders. :blink:

https://www.geocachi...=6&r=39,21,31,9

Hans

Sorry, didn't realize the link on #9 was different from the link on the previous posts.

That's more useful.

So... how did you create this, so I can recreate it in the future?

Carolyn

The links that Hans has been providing are useful but can't be reconstructed for other regions unless you know the region numbers. The search form doesn't allow you to specify multiple regions so you'd have to execute a search then modify the URL by hand to see multiple regions and unless you know the region numbers you're not going to know how to modify the URL. Note that the URL shown has r=39,21,31,9. Those are the region numbers, and the results list will show caches within any of the specified regions and the results will initially be sorted relative to your home location. A "Region" is a finite list of countries, states, or provinces (or whatever a country may call a first level subdivision within that country). You can determine what those numbers are by selecting a region in the "Limit Search to" box but you'll still need to manually edit the URL.

Try this:

Enter Lancaster, Pennsylvania into the main search box. Note that you'll get a list of caches including tradtionals, puzzles, events, etc. Now click on the "Change Filters" button. Enter "30" in the box in the top left to increase the search radius to 30 miles from the "center" of Lancaster, PA. Then click on the "Deselect All" link next to "Cache Types" and select Events. Now click on "Update Search". You should see seven events listed and the distance will be relative to the "center" of Lancaster, PA. Also note that when you enter "Lancaster, Pennsylvania" in the search box the system will send that string to a lookup service (called a geocoding service) which will return a set of lat/long coordinates for that location. The geocoding service is an external "database" of locations and the coordinates it returns may not always be exactly what you expect. Note also that when you enter anything in the main search box it will perform a search relative to a set of lat/long coordinates and by default you'll see results within 10 miles (with a maximum of 30 miles). If you want to see a list of events within 50 miles you should leave the search box empty and specify a region on the Add Filters page instead.

[...] The links that Hans has been providing are useful but can't be reconstructed for other regions unless you know the region numbers. The search form doesn't allow you to specify multiple regions so you'd have to execute a search then modify the URL by hand to see multiple regions and unless you know the region numbers you're not going to know how to modify the URL. Note that the URL shown has r=39,21,31,9. Those are the region numbers, and the results list will show caches within any of the specified regions and the results will initially be sorted relative to your home location. A "Region" is a finite list of countries, states, or provinces (or whatever a country may call a first level subdivision within that country). You can determine what those numbers are by selecting a region in the "Limit Search to" box but you'll still need to manually edit the URL.

Try this:

[...]

... or try this GSAK macro:

SearchByRegion

Frohes Jagen

Hans

[...] The links that Hans has been providing are useful but can't be reconstructed for other regions unless you know the region numbers. The search form doesn't allow you to specify multiple regions so you'd have to execute a search then modify the URL by hand to see multiple regions and unless you know the region numbers you're not going to know how to modify the URL. Note that the URL shown has r=39,21,31,9. Those are the region numbers, and the results list will show caches within any of the specified regions and the results will initially be sorted relative to your home location. A "Region" is a finite list of countries, states, or provinces (or whatever a country may call a first level subdivision within that country). You can determine what those numbers are by selecting a region in the "Limit Search to" box but you'll still need to manually edit the URL.

Try this:

[...]

SearchByRegion

Frohes Jagen

Hans

This thread is about how to use the new search engine to discover events, and only events within a specific area.

GSAK is a third party program that only runs on a Mac (unless you're willing to also install a Virtual machine container and a copy of windows on your mac) *and*, if you want to actually use it without an ever increasing delay before it starts up, is going to cost some additional money. Yes, it's a nice piece of software but it shouldn't be recommended as a solution for every search and discovery issue with the geocaching.com web site.

NYPC,

the TO is a GSAK user. That way my recommendation might be helpful anyway.

Could you please leave us alone with your third party phobia?

Thank you for your understanding.

Hans

I've have owned and frequently use a copy of GSAK for 7 years and even wrote that it's a nice piece of software (but you deleted that in your response). I also frequently use project-gc (a look at my profile would show that). That's not exactly the behavior of someone with a phobia of 3rd party software. I've also been a premium member for 8 years and would prefer that, if I'm paying for a service, that I get something for my money rather that use some other service (which has a fee as well).

Groundspeak provides a listing service and if the site is going to anything right it should be that it has a working search and discovery interface. Hand editing URLs (by adding multiple region ids is a complete kludge) and although it works, the right thing for GS to do is to provide a working search and discovery interface, and not just depend on third party software to provide solutions that should be a core feature on their web site.

[....] Hand editing URLs (by adding multiple region ids is a complete kludge) and although it works, the right thing for GS to do is to provide a working search and discovery interface, and not just depend on third party software to provide solutions that should be a core feature on their web site.

Right you are.

Hans

Try this:

[...]

SearchByRegion

Frohes Jagen

Hans

I'm sorry, but i don't think i should have to use anything gsak related when trying to find caches using gc.com's search. I've been a GC.com member for a longggg time and have never had this much trouble trying to find a cache(s). It would be nice if there were some instruction somewhere (hint hint A Team) that us layman could read over. The search function isn't intuitive or user friendly at all, at least not from my perspective.

Edited by Mudfrog

It would be nice if there were some instruction somewhere (hint hint A Team) that us layman could read over.

Instructions for what exactly? Custom editing the new search URL to include multiple regions? Since that appears to be either unsupported or just not yet ready for mass consumption, I don't plan on documenting it. There are already enough problems with site performance without hordes of members using URL hacks to search the entire globe (which it seems could be possible with this hack).

[...] There are already enough problems with site performance without hordes of members using URL hacks to search the entire globe (which it seems could be possible with this hack).

You're posting is quite unfriendly and rude. :ph34r: You should stop acting like that. Thank you.

Anyway: the macro's intention is to help people living at a state's edge.

Hans

[...] There are already enough problems with site performance without hordes of members using URL hacks to search the entire globe (which it seems could be possible with this hack).

You're posting is quite unfriendly and rude. :ph34r: You should stop acting like that. Thank you.

Anyway: the macro's intention is to help people living at a state's edge.

Hans

I think you may have misinterpreted my post. It was not intended to be unfriendly or rude. I was simply pointing out how this hack (or "kludge", "bodge", "workaround") could be abused by some. Using this not-officially-supported method of searching could have negative impacts on the website's performance if it's used by too many people.

Even if the macro is intended to help people living near a border (for which it's probably very useful), there's nothing stopping someone from abusing it by extending it to cover very large areas if they desired. I'm not saying the macro/url-modification shouldn't be used by anyone, but rather that I've chosen to not document it on my website due to the potential for abuse. If someone else wants to document it, they're free to do so.

[...]

Even if the macro is intended to help people living near a border (for which it's probably very useful), there's nothing stopping someone from abusing it by extending it to cover very large areas if they desired. I'm not saying the macro/url-modification shouldn't be used by anyone, but rather that I've chosen to not document it on my website due to the potential for abuse. If someone else wants to document it, they're free to do so.

That sounds much better. :)

You're right. People may abuse it. Even the legal Api access was abused by an "trusted" Api partner that hammered TPTB's servers. That's why I didn't explained it in every detail.

Frohes Jagen

Hans

It would be nice if there were some instruction somewhere (hint hint A Team) that us layman could read over.

Instructions for what exactly? Custom editing the new search URL to include multiple regions? Since that appears to be either unsupported or just not yet ready for mass consumption, I don't plan on documenting it. There are already enough problems with site performance without hordes of members using URL hacks to search the entire globe (which it seems could be possible with this hack).

I'm not clear on what you're implying here. As i halfway stated above, i don't think i should have to use gsak or any other "hack" to get results.

I try to find a cache by name, or with partial name, or name begins with, and get no results. I'm guessing it's because the cache is 30+ miles out from where i'm searching. If this is the case, then is there a way to find this cache using the search? It just doesn't make sense that i cannot perform a simple search for a specific cache 31 miles away, or for that matter, anywhere in the world. :blink:

I'm not clear on what you're implying here. As i halfway stated above, i don't think i should have to use gsak or any other "hack" to get results.

Sorry, I misunderstood what you were referring to.

I've already documented that use-case in my guide. The relevant page is here. You can't search the entire world, but you could limit it to a region (state/province/country).

Sorry, I misunderstood what you were referring to.

I've already documented that use-case in my guide. The relevant page is here. You can't search the entire world, but you could limit it to a region (state/province/country).

And this is what seems ridiculous. I've used many different website searches and never once have i not been able to look up a specific item using the general search line. I wouldn't think it would be that difficult to allow us to search using keywords alone. If necessary, we could always apply filters if too many results were returned.

By the way, thanks for the link. That was helpful..

Hate to get too far off topic but i think i read somewhere, that the 30 mile radius restriction was put in place to keep from bogging everything down. I've been playing with the search a bit and found that if i search in the state of Texas, that it returns 15,000 caches. Uh,,, i doubt my search of say, 100 miles, would return that many. Yes, i'm confused.

Hate to get too far off topic but i think i read somewhere, that the 30 mile radius restriction was put in place to keep from bogging everything down. I've been playing with the search a bit and found that if i search in the state of Texas, that it returns 15,000 caches. Uh,,, i doubt my search of say, 100 miles, would return that many. Yes, i'm confused.

I'm not so sure about that. A search for all caches within 30 miles of Dallas, TX returns 10,188 caches, but it's not just about the number of caches returned. Personally, I think that the 30mi radius limit is too low, but a radius search is going to be a more "expensive" operation than search by region.

When doing a search by region (leaving the main search box empty) you select a region by name (i.e. United States: Texas) which maps a region ID (for Texas, it's 44). The query then is just an equality search, such it it returns a list of caches where region ID = 44. If the region column is indexed, that can make it pretty fast. When you enter a term into the main search box, first it needs to call a geocoding service to return a set of lat/long values for the specified place name, then it needs to calculate the proximity based on the lat/long values for a cache to determine whether it's within the proximity limit. I don't know how that is determined but it's certainly going to require more compute cycles than comparing integers.

I can understand why someone would want to search for caches which contain specific string within 10 miles, or event within a specific region. Being able to search for caches with a specific string anywhere in the world? Not so much. To me, the primary purpose of the search engine is to discover cache listings for caches one might go out and find.