New Basemaps?

The basemap on a garmin refers to the world map overview with only a few main highways and no detail and is provided free with the device.

The more detailed maps that are used for navigation can be purchased from garmin but are often added to be included in the total purchase price and sometimes with lifetime updates.

There are also free versions with high detail and many are routable for the garmin and the openstreetmap ones are listed here (see the pre-made map download link)

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin

...and you can also get free versions of the basemap too, though that is probably a free download from garmin i would hink if you accidentally deleted it.

Edited by Nmw

CacheMule, I have maps on my 64s from both sources and they work pretty well. I have noticed that the openstreetmap maps display a little better in urban/suburban areas, and often have some of the park/preserve trails that the gpsfiledepot maps do not. The OSM maps don't have topo information, which can be handy if you're hiking in hilly terrain. Sometimes I have to switch my map display back and forth in order to get the best of both worlds. I wish there was a way to superimpose one over the other.

[...] The OSM maps don't have topo information, which can be handy if you're hiking in hilly terrain. [...]

That may be valid for maps from openstreetmaps.nl but not for OSM maps in general. Depending which OSM-based map you've chosen, some of them do have topo information:

Contour%20lines%20OSM.PNGSize%20Nano%20II.PNG

Frohes Jagen

Hans

NB: OSM maps with topo information (contour lines etc.):

Freizeitkarte OSM Europe and the Americas

Reit- und Wanderkarte Europe only

Edited by HHL

The sites mentioned are for NORMAL map, no basemaps, the basemap is basically needed when zoomed out, the unit will switch from 'normal' to the basemap, to have a faster zoom in out, some units don't work well without a basemap.

Basemaps used to be on perry's website, but I can't find it anymore.

If you are in need of a basemap I can upload one. +- 50Mb.

You need to send me a personal email with your email address. then I send you a link from the upload.

CacheMule, I have maps on my 64s from both sources and they work pretty well. I have noticed that the openstreetmap maps display a little better in urban/suburban areas, and often have some of the park/preserve trails that the gpsfiledepot maps do not. The OSM maps don't have topo information, which can be handy if you're hiking in hilly terrain. Sometimes I have to switch my map display back and forth in order to get the best of both worlds. I wish there was a way to superimpose one over the other.

At http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/ Choose the "Routable Bicycle (Openfietsmap Lite)" options and you will get contour lines.