life of an underwater geocache

So it's been about 5 years since i originally hid my favorite cache underwater. I used an ammo can filled with sand and bricks. The log book was put into a lock n lock for extra protection and it has worked very well. Never a wet log.

I had a cacher find it last weekend and the ammo can is pretty much useless. I am looking to replace it. Anyone have any luck with the plastic ammo cans or should i just stick with the metal ones.

The lock n lock did the job. Completely dry log book that's been under water 24/7 for 5 years straight. I think the ammo can failed in the past year or so.

No complaints, just posting my results for a long term underwater cache and asking whether or not i should go plastic.

You make a good point and from some searching the plastic ammo cans are hit or miss so metal all the way.

Anyone looking to do something like this should go for it. Maintenance free for 5 years is beyond good considering its placement.

I can imagine the rust is not good for the enviroment as well... Just use a big plastic containers with rocks for extra weight.

Rust does not do any damage to the environment. Indeed, there have been a number of suggestions that adding iron to the oceans will reduce atmospheric carbon dioxide levels, and thus reduce global warming.

A steel container will eventually rust harmlessly away to nothing.

However, plastic pollution of the oceans is a more serious issue. A plastic container will eventually break up into small pieces of plastic that cause great harm to sea creatures, including sea birds that eat them and eventually starve to death because their crop becomes filled with indigestible plastic.

Unfortunately, i don't think a plastic ammo box will work very well. Haven't come across all that many but i do know that most of the ones we found (they were hidden on land) were wet inside. I imagine there are different manufacturers, so there may be a range in quality. Get one and submerge it in a bathtub to see how it does.

As has been stated, 5 years was a good run. I'd get another ammo can and go for another 5 years. B)

I'd love to see how this was done, and I guess if true, kudos to all who accessed it without getting it wet.

We're finding matchstick, lock n lock, and even some ammo cans on dry ground that folks can't seem to keep dry.

I too have found wet ammo cans. Most have had gaskets that were very degraded or just plain gone. I think many find a good deal on an ammo can and never check the gasket.

So in my case i found a decent can. Filled it with 2 red bricks and some sand for weight. Enough to where a lock n lock barely fit. It was still semi buoyant so i used a cement block attached by a carabiner to keep it in place. It was not very deep except for times of bad rain. The only people that had to go swimming for it were the 2 that got the FTF right after a horrible storm.

I'd love to see how this was done, and I guess if true, kudos to all who accessed it without getting it wet.

We're finding matchstick, lock n lock, and even some ammo cans on dry ground that folks can't seem to keep dry.

I too have found wet ammo cans. Most have had gaskets that were very degraded or just plain gone. I think many find a good deal on an ammo can and never check the gasket.

So in my case i found a decent can. Filled it with 2 red bricks and some sand for weight. Enough to where a lock n lock barely fit. It was still semi buoyant so i used a cement block attached by a carabiner to keep it in place. It was not very deep except for times of bad rain. The only people that had to go swimming for it were the 2 that got the FTF right after a horrible storm.

Cool.

You're not far away. Have to check it out when fixed.

I can imagine the rust is not good for the enviroment as well... Just use a big plastic containers with rocks for extra weight.

Ha, funny. You've obviously never been to northern Minnesota or in or around Lake Superior. Rust is way more prevalent in nature than you can ever imagine. So unless you have pure facts, keep environmental agendas out of the game.