first mystery cache

It is normal. Most people don't want to work that hard or they lack the time to do it. Puzzle caches seem to appeal to certain group. Give it time, but don't expect everyone to come looking.

http://coord.info/GC5TP9J

I created my first mystery cache! One person has found it and wrote a great ftf log, but no one has found it since. Is this normal for mystery caches? I'm concerned my puzzle is horribly flawed. :/

Lulilac

http://coord.info/GC5TP9J

I created my first mystery cache! One person has found it and wrote a great ftf log, but no one has found it since. Is this normal for mystery caches? I'm concerned my puzzle is horribly flawed. :/

Lulilac

Lots of people skip the caches that require a lot of time, especially Multis or Puzzles. If I can't figure out a puzzle cache, I'll put it at the bottom of the stack. Maybe I'll look at it again if I think of a new approach. Otherwise, there seriously are a buhzillion other caches to choose. Give or take. :anicute:

Your cache is a 3.5 difficulty, so you expect infrequent finds. Right? :P

Anyway, I can't figure it out. :anibad:

Cool theme, and the Find log is great! :D

Making a mystery cache of any type generally keeps the cachers just after the numbers away. You do get the more hardcore cachers who aren't satisfied unless every last cache is found in a particular area.

Mine requires finding 3 others for the coordinates. Those 3 get found a lot. The final only 2 or 3 times a year. Put a few regular caches out and watch the finds roll in. The ones who take the time to find the mystery appreciate it for the difficulty involved. You will usually get a nice found it post worth reading rather than a simple TFTC. Be patient more will find it.

I just raised it from a 2.5 to a 3.5 because I think it might be harder than I originally thought? I don't know. How do you rate the difficulty of a puzzle cache??

Lots of people skip the caches that require a lot of time, especially Multis or Puzzles. If I can't figure out a puzzle cache, I'll put it at the bottom of the stack. Maybe I'll look at it again if I think of a new approach. Otherwise, there seriously are a buhzillion other caches to choose. Give or take. :anicute:

Your cache is a 3.5 difficulty, so you expect infrequent finds. Right? :P

Anyway, I can't figure it out. :anibad:

Cool theme, and the Find log is great! :D

How do you rate the difficulty of a puzzle cache??

You may have an excellent resource: the cacher who found your cache. Especially since it looks like Mystery (puzzle) caches are his specialty. :P

For mine, I have none that are designed to be tough to figure out. But when emails and logs tend to suggest a D or T is too high or too low, I adjust accordingly. Strangely, fewer than half the logs on my puzzle caches mention a puzzle. :yikes:

Around here, I noticed that Mystery caches are quiet, they don't get Found as often as Traditionals, by quite a margin. So one of my first hides was an easy puzzle, expressly so that there wouldn't be a Geotrail to it.

Edited by kunarion

I just raised it from a 2.5 to a 3.5 because I think it might be harder than I originally thought? I don't know. How do you rate the difficulty of a puzzle cache??

If you solve a lot of puzzles from the most easy to the very difficult you'll have something to compare it to. It might be difficult to rate the difficulty because you already know how to solve it but unless you've solved a 3.5 puzzle how would you know if more or less difficult than others.

Pretty normal.

Another reason that it might not get found quickly is lots of people set up notifications for new caches -- but that is just for the traditional new caches. They have to set up a separate notification for each of the other types, and may not have done that for puzzles.