Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
Tatersaurus

How can I improve my stealth when geocaching?

Stealth has been a weakness of mine. I try to be discreet when finding caches, but the locations usually are put in heavily muggled places. Even in rural areas, there's always that one person that walks by when least expected. I've even tried caching at night and early in the morning, but there are still people wandering around for some reason. Sometimes, no matter how careful I am, they see me and give me weird looks (and my social anxiety makes it even worse). How can I improve on this?

If you put "stealth" into the search box above you will find lots of helpful answers like this one:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=327664&st=0&p=5458070&hl=stealth&fromsearch=1entry5458070

The bottom line is, stop thinking that what you are doing is wrong and you will stop looking suspicious. Often the more discreet you try to be the more you attract attention.

Don't even think about being stealthy. Just go about looking for the cache as though you belong there. The only thing I do anymore is try to wait until no one is looking before I put the cache back in place.

Don't even think about being stealthy. Just go about looking for the cache as though you belong there. The only thing I do anymore is try to wait until no one is looking before I put the cache back in place.

Plus one on that. I try to be careful but if someone sees me and appears curious I tell them I am caching. That gets either an interest in what that is our a blank look and I give them a brief explanation.

What is this thing you call stealth? Why do you worry? ALL caches are placed with the permission of the land owner or property manager, so you have full authority to be there to search and find the cache. Enjoy the hobby, with or without an audience.

Yes to all above. It additionally helps to have a family including a dog with you. That makes you totally invisible in every stupid situation on any suspicious location. :)

In a heavily watched area I sometimes wear my GPS unit around my neck and carry a clipboard. Makes me look official.

sometimes I take photos, I tell a friend to stand between me and the muggle :laughing: so he can just see the back of my friend or I come back on another day

Or just act like this was completely normal to go around on one place again and again :laughing:

Yes to all above. It additionally helps to have a family including a dog with you. That makes you totally invisible in every stupid situation on any suspicious location. :)

LOL I gave up on stealth with the addition of the family and the dog :lol::laughing: