Geocoin Traveling

nikitathedog

So I picked up a Geocoin locally and logged it as retrieved. I have a good idea for it and am going to drop it this summer when we go on a vacation in a different state.

My question is this, the last person to possess this coin, in the log it shows where the coin traveled to various caches. It was never left at any of those but it said it "visited" said locations. Since picking up this coin I have been to several other cache locations. Am I supposed to log that I visited such and such location with the coin? The previous holder did. If I am to do this, how do I do this? The only options I see would be to log a message under the coins log, but there is none for visit.

Am I supposed to log that I visited such and such location with the coin?

No.

Normally we do it with our personal trackables, as a way to add mileage to our caching adventures, by instance.

You just need to log when you really drop the geocoin in a cache (physical or Event).

Edited by RuideAlmeida

When you log a CACHE you will get an option to visit this coin in it. It is not mandatory to do that. Some owners like their coins to "visit" cache, some of them don't, there is no rule... I usually visit the coins in my inventory in the caches I find.

If you're going to keep the coin longer than 2 weeks it may be a good idea to "visit" caches with it as that keeps the owner involved as they will get an email about the coin's activity. I don't believe it's in the guidelines but good protocol is to not keep a coin longer than 2 weeks. Have a great summer.

If you're going to keep the coin longer than 2 weeks it may be a good idea to "visit" caches with it as that keeps the owner involved as they will get an email about the coin's activity. I don't believe it's in the guidelines but good protocol is to not keep a coin longer than 2 weeks. Have a great summer.

Similar, I'd email the TO, letting them know why I'd be holding on to it longer than two weeks.

I didn't see a direct answer about 'visiting' other than it is 'optional' to log visits.

Since you retrieved the trackable, it is now in your 'inventory'. (which can be viewed on your profile page.)

When you log a 'found it' for a cache you will see a box near the bottom of the log page that shows your inventory. There is a drop-down box to the right. the default is 'no action'. Click the box and you can now select 'no action', 'dropped off' or 'visited'. If you have multiple trackables in your inventory, you can select each item to have a different result. You might drop the one, 'visit' 2 others and select 'no action' for 4 other trackables (for example).

As others indicated, there is no 'firm policy'. You can ask a TO by e-mail, or you can 'visit' every cache. If you did this during a power trail trip it becomes pointless to log a 'visit' every 528 feet (1/10 mile) for hundreds, or even thousands of caches. If we cache through 6 cities, 10 caches per city, rather than 60 redundant 'visits', we 'visit' ONE cache in each town. That way the trackable attains mileage additions without countless 'visits'.

It is, however, your choice since you have possession ....

I've never received an email with a "visit" log for any of my trackables.

When you log a CACHE you will get an option to visit this coin in it. It is not mandatory to do that. Some owners like their coins to "visit" cache, some of them don't, there is no rule... I usually visit the coins in my inventory in the caches I find.

I've been to three caches today and I have not seen an option for that "visit" with any of them.

I must be doing something wrong. I'm using the free version on an android and I'm not a premium member in case that has something to do with it.

The owners wishes for the coin is that it visits many caches.

I figured it out.....you can do it but you use a third party app to do it. The geocaching app does not give me option to select visit for the coin but today I was messing with another app and it allowed me to do it. So I logged some mileage for the coin.

EDIT

By the way you also get the option if you log onto this website and log your finds from here. The mobile app I guess just doesn't let you do that in the field which is where I usually log all my finds from. I usually don't access the website from the field but today when I got home I noticed you could do it as I logged four finds.

Edited by nikitathedog