Is This Really caching?

Similarly, I don't think it's really in the spirit of geocaching to log a find for a cache that you have seen, but not been able to access due to the difficulty of the terrain.

I recently found a terrain 3.5 cache that was up a tree. Not very far up, certainly not far enough to require ropes and climbing gear, but high enough to be out of reach of even the tallest person standing on the ground; and high enough to be a bit of an effort for this middle aged cacher.

I was disappointed to read the logs later and see many claimed finds along the lines of "Could not sign log due to mobility issues", "As we didn't have a ladder or small children with us we were unable to sign", "Sighted the cache but too high up to record details of visit", "Could not log as we can't reach without a ladder".

It seems to me that if you can't reach the cache, then you can't really claim to have found it as a terrain 3.5 cache. At best, you have found a hypothetical terrain 1 cache at the base of the tree.

I was disappointed to read the logs later and see many claimed finds along the lines of "Could not sign log due to mobility issues", "As we didn't have a ladder or small children with us we were unable to sign", "Sighted the cache but too high up to record details of visit", "Could not log as we can't reach without a ladder".

I honestly have no idea why you feel disappointment. All I feel is a slight amusement about how silly they're being. They're failure doesn't diminish my success no matter how they report it.

I honestly have no idea why you feel disappointment. All I feel is a slight amusement about how silly they're being. They're failure doesn't diminish my success no matter how they report it.

I'm disappointed to see other people behave less honourably than I would have in a similar situation. I like to think the best of people, and it disappoints me when they behave badly, particularly when they are within a group with whom I identify.

Question about finding a log you cannot sign because you cannot retrieve it. If you see a cache in, for instance, an extendable inspection mirror, which I use rather than kneel and crawl around or determine whether I can reach a cache, and cannot reach it, get it and therefore not sign the log, technically, have I found it?

I have found several caches that require me to be taller, physically unacceptable or achievable. Others have required me to climb, another feat that is one of those that I don't easily assimilate with. Then there are those ones that require to be on hands and knees that is just a past memory for me. Using the mirror, I find the cache, but I guess if I can't sign the log, then I haven't found it.

Question about finding a log you cannot sign because you cannot retrieve it. If you see a cache in, for instance, an extendable inspection mirror, which I use rather than kneel and crawl around or determine whether I can reach a cache, and cannot reach it, get it and therefore not sign the log, technically, have I found it?

I have found several caches that require me to be taller, physically unacceptable or achievable. Others have required me to climb, another feat that is one of those that I don't easily assimilate with. Then there are those ones that require to be on hands and knees that is just a past memory for me. Using the mirror, I find the cache, but I guess if I can't sign the log, then I haven't found it.

That's the way I play the game.... Find the cache, SIGN THE LOG, log it online. If my mark isn't on the log, I don't log as a find.

That's the way I play the game.... Find the cache, SIGN THE LOG, log it online. If my mark isn't on the log, I don't log as a find.
Same here. There have been a couple times when I've seen the cache, but haven't been able to sign the log for some reason. I came back later when I was able to sign the log. Then, after I signed the log, I logged the find online.
Same here. There have been a couple times when I've seen the cache, but haven't been able to sign the log for some reason. I came back later when I was able to sign the log. Then, after I signed the log, I logged the find online.

Found one yesterday but my pen didn't work and I didn't have a spare and nothing else that could be used to mark the log. Logged a "Write note" that I would sign another day and then post my Found It.

Could have done a photo log but don't believe in it and it sets an example for lazy cachers who don't carry pens.

Edited by colleda

I'm disappointed to see other people behave less honourably than I would have in a similar situation. I like to think the best of people, and it disappoints me when they behave badly, particularly when they are within a group with whom I identify.

If they admit they didn't sign the log, then I have a hard time understanding how you can call them dishonorable. They obviously think that counts as a find, so they're just ignorant.

Although, I admit, even if they lied about it, I'd still be more inclined to label them silly. I normally save "dishonorable" for things that matter.