Garmin Dakota 20

I had a Dakota 10 which I used for geocaching for 1 1/2 years. They are extremely reliable although they do not connect to the GLONASS system, so they are not as accurate as some of the more expensive models. The touch screen is good, and it also includes waypoint averaging. The Dakota 20 also has built in Chirp detector. The compass indicator is a 2 axis compass which I found out quite recently is not as good as a 3 axis compass. But however the model works great, make sure you buy a screen protector to avoid scratches on the touch screen. I learned the hard way... It's too bad Garmin no longer makes the Dakota but you can probably get a good deal on them for this reason...

-CacheMule

So I am having a devil of a time figuring out how to use this bad boy. Granted I've only been working with it for a day and a half and I realize it takes some getting used to. It seems user friendly I am just not familiar with using maps or gps's. I registered with my garmin, and I believe I downloaded the base camp map correctly. I also purchased the Birdseye satellite imagery. The question I have is I tried to navigate using the base camp and birdseye to find a "easy" cache and the gps was saying no routes available. When using Birdseye does it navigate you to the cache or is another map required. Not sure if I am making much sense it's been a very frustrating day trying to learn how to use both maps and gps. Where can I find a good resource or videos to figure things out. I was able to successfully transfer several caches into the gps. I appreciate any advice you can send my way. On another note I am also finding while navigation on the trail the screen is extremely blurry and hard to see I've adjusted the dimness and back light which seems fine while using the gps in other modes just not while following the line it shows to get to the cache.

So I am having a devil of a time figuring out how to use this bad boy. Granted I've only been working with it for a day and a half and I realize it takes some getting used to. It seems user friendly I am just not familiar with using maps or gps's. I registered with my garmin, and I believe I downloaded the base camp map correctly. I also purchased the Birdseye satellite imagery. The question I have is I tried to navigate using the base camp and birdseye to find a "easy" cache and the gps was saying no routes available. When using Birdseye does it navigate you to the cache or is another map required. Not sure if I am making much sense it's been a very frustrating day trying to learn how to use both maps and gps. Where can I find a good resource or videos to figure things out. I was able to successfully transfer several caches into the gps. I appreciate any advice you can send my way. On another note I am also finding while navigation on the trail the screen is extremely blurry and hard to see I've adjusted the dimness and back light which seems fine while using the gps in other modes just not while following the line it shows to get to the cache.

I'm pretty sure you need to connect your Garmin 20 to the computer using the USB cable and downloading the .GPX files directly to your GPS under a cache description page. Then you can even use Pocket Queries to download large amounts of geocache waypoints to your GPS. Maybe someone can point you to a reference, I don't have that ability...

thanks

I need help using or figuring out the actual map I was able to get the caches onto the gps. It's navigating on the map to the gc that's confusing the view especially when zoomed in is extremely blurry and I'm not 100%sure if I need additional or different maps

I have the Birdseye satellite imagery and base camp loaded (I believe) on my dakota 20 I also was trying to see how I can make sure it's on my micro SD card instead of the gps memory and when I took the card out and put it on the computer there wasn't anything on it only found it still in the gps. Without the SD card loaded. So how can I move it onto the card to free up the limited memory.

Edited by TEAM FRES