Am I going to need a GPS?

Beechlgz

I ask because I won't want to invest energy into starting up this hobby if it's not going to be possible to do it.

The only thing I enjoy is exploring. That's all I like doing, there is nothing else in my life that I enjoy. Exploring is stimulating to me because I feel very free and unrestricted. I like not having to slow down for laggers and going off at my own fast pace. I like getting to see places that I otherwise would never have seen. However lately it's been hard to motivate myself to go out the door, partially due to knowing I have to cross busy polluted areas to get to the nice areas (meaning by time I reach the nice areas my stamina is near zero and I just want to go home) partially due to nausea and backache which I suffer a lot of these days. The thing is, getting into the woods and the hills clears me of most of my symptoms and gives me so much energy I feel like a puppy that can't stop running around for fun, but it's finding a purpose to get my butt out the door that I struggle with.

When I found out about geocaching this morning I felt a new motivation to go out, a really strong one, giving some purpose to my outing. I was excited. However, after searching for 3 caches (1 I didn't expect to find because it's micro) in areas that are really familiar to me, checking again and again that I had the right spot and it met the description, I feel really demotivated. It kind of makes me doubt if I can do this without a GPS device. I can't afford such a thing, my phone cost me £9.99 and it lags when I play Snake and isn't designed for much more than calls and texts. I literally have just over £10 to my name and I need that to last me the next 2 weeks.

I just need to know, for my own peace of mind and maybe for some encouragement, is this even possible without GPS? I can't find any evidence that anyone has even tried, is it really that silly to try? Be honest though, if it's not for me it's not for me, I can understand that.

(people who come on here to say "search for a job instead".... 1) I do and 2) just because I'm job hunting doesn't mean I'm not allowed to unwind sometimes, I'd be dead from stress if I didn't at least try to do something fun occasionally)

Yes, you will need GPS of some sort. If you don't have GPS on your phone, then you will need to get a hand held device. Look in pawn shops, online, etc. you may find a cheap used one somewhere. Other than that, I guess you could try using Google Earth or something to narrow down your search, before you head out. Keep in mind that GPS only gets you to a radius near where the cache is hidden. Not all coordinates are totally accurate (for a variety of reasons) and many caches are more deliberately hidden than others, hence the difficulty/terrain ratings. Why don't you try to enlist a friend to maybe share the cost of a GPS device or find cachers in your area who can help you get started?

Plenty of 'Naked Cachers' around. (Those that find caches without a GPS of any kind)

Part of the 'battle' is knowing 'what' a cache looks like, and 'how' and 'where' it could be hidden.

Known as 'Geosense' or 'cachesense' this is only achieved with finding caches...

If you want to HIDE a cache, then yes, a GPS IS needed. :)

You've found 3, and moved a TB correctly, keep at it, you're doing well! :D

Could be worth looking out for local events, and meeting some local cachers.

You may be able to go caching together.

(And sometimes cachers have an older GPS unit tucked away, that they might sell cheaply, or pass on to someone they know...)

Edited by Bear and Ragged

No, you don't need a GPS device of any kind.

Use the google maps link and avoid caches deep in the woods or those without obvious sort of landmarks close by. And probably focus on larger ones. There's plenty of fun to be had, nice and slowly, without needing anything else. Experience is far more important - and the only way to get that is to fail to find a bunch!

Yeah, I guess I overreacted a bit. So the gist of it I get is some consider it necessary and some not. I can understand that.

Finding those 3 (and the TB) was unexpected but a bit of an energy boost also. I will need to look up "Naked Cachers" and their techniques. I hope I don't get any rude results. :P

Thanks for the advice perhaps in the future I could invest in a GPS device when things are more financially comfortable. It's good to know that in the mean time until then some caches are still within my capacity to find.

No, there's no need to use a GPS for caching at its basic.

Urban hides would probably be easier to view on google maps, but a good example of one who still occasionally finds a few without is here. :)

Come to think of it, a lot of finds using the app ate based on the map rather than the distance. I still use it to get to GZ but I'd also forget where GZ is.