Garmin gpsmap 64s accuracy problems

I am really getting discouraged, I have not been happy with my 64s, It seems to think it is 20 to 30 feet from where I am.

When you add that to the accuracy of + or - 12 to 20 feet, It is not even acceptable for geocaching, much less for marking locations.

My 60csx was alwas dead on or at least close.

I sent the following email to Garmin customer service.

Subject: Poor accuracy

>> Message: I also own a GPSmap 60csx so I am comparing it to that unit. I work for the DNR and establish waypoints for plant data. The 64s will only bring me within 17 to 20 feet of previous way points established with the 60 csx. same with other geocaches. Location is off by 15 to 20 feet. My 60csx was dead on. The other thing I see is that when walk an established trail the return track on the 64s is 20 feet off from the outgoing track. I pull out my 60csx and other that a deviations the outgoung and return tracks are dead on top of each other. This is not the 9 ft accuracy I was expecting. Is there a problem with my gps? If not I will be getting rid of my 64s and getting something else.

They replied to make sure WAAS was enabled Glanoss torned on and power saver turn off and the latest Firmware.

I did all of the above and still The same issue.

Is it possible to have a bad unit? mis calibrated or what? I thought it would be more accurate than my 60csx, not worse.

I think it is more that just a difference between units, I can't get close to some one else’s geocache

To put it bluntly, I am not a newcomer to GPS and this accuracy problem is not acceptable. If I can't get it fixed, It is going Bye Bye.

I've heard of this before... I think your problem may (repeat, may) have something to do with your settings. The newer models have a different SERIES of settings than did your '60CSx.

There are two settings involved in this matter -- and yes, it is a bit confusing. The manual doesn't seem to cover it well at all.

Make sure that Lock On Road is turned OFF, and Direct Routing is selected.

From a previous thread:

there are 2 places where you have to choose off road. One is obvious, the other is not. Turn LOCK ON ROAD off. Thats the easy part. The hard part is that deep within the Setup is a place where you have several options such as Hiking, Mountaineering, etc. You would think that Hiking would cover it... but no. You need to choose the option called Direct Routing.

Try it... perhaps that is the problem. Good Luck.

I've heard of this before... I think your problem may (repeat, may) have something to do with your settings. The newer models have a different SERIES of settings than did your '60CSx.

There are two settings involved in this matter -- and yes, it is a bit confusing. The manual doesn't seem to cover it well at all.

From a previous thread:

there are 2 places where you have to choose off road. One is obvious, the other is not. Turn LOCK ON ROAD off. Thats the easy part. The hard part is that deep within the Setup is a place where you have several options such as Hiking, Mountaineering, etc. You would think that Hiking would cover it... but no. You need to choose the option called Direct Routing.

Try this.

Sometimes they try to do too much with one unit. Also try with WAAS and Glonass turned off.

I am really getting discouraged, I have not been happy with my 64s, It seems to think it is 20 to 30 feet from where I am.

When you add that to the accuracy of + or - 12 to 20 feet, It is not even acceptable for geocaching, much less for marking locations.

>> Message: I also own a GPSmap 60csx so I am comparing it to that unit. I work for the DNR and establish waypoints for plant data. The 64s will only bring me within 17 to 20 feet of previous way points established with the 60 csx. same with other geocaches. Location is off by 15 to 20 feet. My 60csx was dead on. The other thing I see is that when walk an established trail the return track on the 64s is 20 feet off from the outgoing track. I pull out my 60csx and other that a deviations the outgoung and return tracks are dead on top of each other. This is not the 9 ft accuracy I was expecting. Is there a problem with my gps? If not I will be getting rid of my 64s and getting something else.

They replied to make sure WAAS was enabled Glanoss torned on and power saver turn off and the latest Firmware.

Is it possible to have a bad unit? mis calibrated or what? I thought it would be more accurate than my 60csx, not worse.

I think it is more that just a difference between units, I can't get close to some one else's geocache

To put it bluntly, I am not a newcomer to GPS and this accuracy problem is not acceptable. If I can't get it fixed, It is going Bye Bye.

I had the same problem with my 62s. Consistently folks who found my newer hides reported the coords being 7-10m off. The 62s got worse and worse - other features like the compass stopped working properly or at all. I sent it in for a refurb. It's doing much better but I don't trust it and take readings from it and gps iphone apps then average. No complaints lately. Loved my 60Cx - always got 'The coordinates were spot on' logs. Never had to fiddle with settings and firmware.

From a previous thread:

Thank you, I can see what the settings are.

From a previous thread:

Try this.

Sometimes they try to do too much with one unit. Also try with WAAS and Glonass turned off.

I was wondering about the Glonass, I turned that off, It does seem to be a bit better on location, but I need to do some serious testing.

From a previous thread:

Try this.

I was wondering about the Glonass, I turned that off, It does seem to be a bit better on location, but I need to do some serious testing.

Try turning off WAAS too. WAAS sats are on the horizon where I live and more than likely you can't see the horizon so two of my possible 12 sats are not locked in and constantly looking for WAAS.

I had the same problem with my 62s. Consistently folks who found my newer hides reported the coords being 7-10m off.

I've experienced the same results when placing caches, so now I've gone back to using my eTrex 20 when placing caches; no complaints.

Thank you, this is what is so frustrating. You spend good money on supposedly the latest technology and it is a step backwards for accuracy.

I had the same problem with my 62s. Consistently folks who found my newer hides reported the coords being 7-10m off.

I've experienced the same results when placing caches, so now I've gone back to using my eTrex 20 when placing caches; no complaints.

Thank you, this is what is so frustrating. You spend good money on supposedly the latest technology and it is a step backwards for accuracy.

Thought I had mentioned it (brain and fingers not playing nice again), but mine was the 62s, like L0ne.R.

62s is great for finding, but not placing for some reason.

FWIW, I am planning on upgrading to a 64s, as I do miss having GLONASS capability, and I also want GGZ support so I can load more caches onto the GPS.

Edited by BlackRose67

Also try calibrating the compass

Go to compass page then press menu

Select compass calibration and follow instructions

As a general rule I always recalibrate if I have moved 50+ miles from my last GZ

this generally sorts problems I have had like this

My 64s generally gets within 8 feet depending on the sky available

I am in the UK

Also try calibrating the compass

Go to compass page then press menu

Select compass calibration and follow instructions

As a general rule I always recalibrate if I have moved 50+ miles from my last GZ

this generally sorts problems I have had like this

My 64s generally gets within 8 feet depending on the sky available

I am in the UK

Yes, I have often re calibrated the compass, I don't see that as an issue.

The point that so glaringly bothers me, is that on a return route, the track log shows you 20 to 30 feet off from where you walked an hour ago. And I mean consistantly, It looks like a railroad track of two parallel tracks. My 60 csx has a little variation but usually tracks are right on top of each other.

I can understand differences between gps units, but the variation on the same unit over time is somewhat perplexing.

I have wondered if always carrying your gps attached to one side of your body makes a difference. On the return trip all your satellite fixes are from the other hemisphere. Sometimes i have found that having the gps gets a bit off track when i wear it attached to my belt at the right side compared to carrying in my hand or attaching high on my backpack.

I have wondered if always carrying your gps attached to one side of your body makes a difference. On the return trip all your satellite fixes are from the other hemisphere. Sometimes i have found that having the gps gets a bit off track when i wear it attached to my belt at the right side compared to carrying in my hand or attaching high on my backpack.

It doesn't matter where you are carrying it -- unless running a track with it.

It does matter if when you are READING it that you not block signal with your body. Watch how other folks use electronic devices... they hold them close to their body and bow over the darn thing, which is fine... assuming that it is not a GPSr requiring an incoming signal to function properly.

Using/reading a GPSr, it should be held out from your body (not at the belt-line) and up in front of your face. This provides it with the best 'sky-view' possible.

Looking down at the device is bad... you are bowing over the top of it, blocking signal.

Today's units have better antennae, but why not provide it with the best signal possible?

Out of curiosity, I ran some waypoint averaging yesterday on our 64ST in heavy cover (nearby buildings, maple trees, pine trees) -- stopped the sampling at 100% (took about a minute or so) and saved the waypoint. Viewing the waypoint in Google Earth shows it spot-on and accurate. GPS is running the latest FW version of 3.90, GLONASS was set to "on," and WAAS was set to "off". Accuracy / EPE on the satellite screen showed 9 ft (3m).

If you are still getting bad accuracy, maybe you can return / exchange the unit with the retailer and try another? (If you exchange with Garmin, I believe they give you a refurb'd. unit, not a new one). Something doesn't sound right with your 64S. With today's electronics, it's always possible to get a lemon.

I think it is more that just a difference between units, I can't get close to some one else’s geocache

I have the same problem with my Gpsmap 64st, I will send it to Garmin. Have you found any solution?

Hi I have the same experience. I bought 64s a week ago but it has 7-10 meter accuracy where my previous etrex 10 had 2-3-5 meter.

Actually I'm thinking about the etrex 30x because this 64s model is a huuge disappointment to me.

Anyway I'm not sure how is relating the turned off Lock On Road, Direct Routing or GLONASS(!) to increased GPS Accuracy. WAAS/EGNOS turning off sounds like logical but GLONASS??? :o

Unfortunately I can't see the advantage of the Quad-helix antenna...

Hi I have the same experience. I bought 64s a week ago but it has 7-10 meter accuracy where my previous etrex 10 had 2-3-5 meter.

Actually I'm thinking about the etrex 30x because this 64s model is a huuge disappointment to me.

Anyway I'm not sure how is relating the turned off Lock On Road, Direct Routing or GLONASS(!) to increased GPS Accuracy. WAAS/EGNOS turning off sounds like logical but GLONASS??? :o

Unfortunately I can't see the advantage of the Quad-helix antenna...

You're replying to a 2 year old thread, and there have been some significant improvements in the 64 series firmware. I had an etrex 30 prior to the 64s and I can say that the 64s is not any more or less accurate than the eTrex 30 was. They had the same features; WAAS and GLONASS, after all. There was a noticeable difference in the number of satellites received under extreme conditions such as in canyons AND heavy tree cover. Although I never lost signal with the eTrex 30, the 64s always locked on to more sats and gave better accuracy when the going got really tough. Under more normal conditions like tree cover only, they were about the same. I NEVER saw a reported accuracy of less than 5 meters with the eTrex 30, though. Not even in the open. Actually, since that's just an arbitrary software guess, I don't pay much attention to that.

Based on a couple years of having the 64s now, I suggest that you make sure you have the latest firmware, and carefully calibrate the compass regularly. And so so when you are in the field, not in your yard. Some of the difficulties I had in the early days of the 64s were firmware related and fixed later, but I also learned that a recently calibrated compass is crucial to geocaching accuracy.

Hello!

I bought a 64st a few weeks ago and it's been working fine. I wondered the same thing when I got my Garmin. So I matched it up with my friend's Garmin, my iPhone and their Android. Our GPSs were dead on, our phones were a off! Going over board as I usually do.. I went to Goole Maps and GPS Coordinates Mapping to double check accuracy and my 64ST was dead on.

I had a 60csx and loved it! but, it finally saw it's last days and I had to get a new one.

Did you download Garmin Express?

Every time I plug my Garmin in to download PQ, Garmin Express also syncs and updates the firmware. I also have it synced into my iPhone in the Garmin app to track my movements and exercising. Although doing this drains your iPhone battery like crazy, so I don't always have it synced.

At any rate, if you haven't yet, maybe download Garmin Express and let the it do what it needs to do.....?

I wish that I could help because I'm very happy with my GPS. I use it every time I go for a bike ride, a light walk, and especially Geocaching. I've actually used it once for driving directions because my iPhone lost reception!

I hope that this helps....?

OH... BTW-- I had downloaded Garmin Express a several years ago and was using that one. I had a minor issue with my GPS and called them up. They told me to use the current version of Garmin Express. I was using an older version. Maybe, if you already have Garmin Express, maybe you have an older version of that....?

Just a note that not all Caches are placed by the same GPSR as each Cacher has a preference for a certain GPSR.

With that said the accuracy is going to be different, so you maybe a few feet +/- different. Just walk away & come at the cache at another direction & note the difference. 

Remember there are so many variables to consider, just go have fun & enjoy the game.

On 8/12/2017 at 11:12 AM, MtnMutt-ProDuckShins said:

Just a note that not all Caches are placed by the same GPSR as each Cacher has a preference for a certain GPSR.

With that said the accuracy is going to be different, so you maybe a few feet +/- different. Just walk away & come at the cache at another direction & note the difference. 

Remember there are so many variables to consider, just go have fun & enjoy the game.

True.. the gps can take a while (30 min or more) to load the data from the satellites. From what I remember reading there are 3 data streams it uses to build a fix. One loads fast and the others load slower. It all depends on how long you've not used it or if you've moved around between turn on/offs. 

There are lot's of study's out there on the web that deal with WAAS and Glonass used together etc.  Try finding some to see if changing the settings will help your style,etc.  With my Montana 680 I use Glonass/GPS with WAAS on and have gotten the best results overall. In the mountains with tree cover and gorges I normally like to go. So much better then previous units I've had over the years since 1998 from Garmin.