Advanced Search with Filter by Cache Owner

MoonMatt

First I think the Advanced Search does have some nice features to filter down the list of caches to your specific criteria. I was recently using this to find the caches of an Owner that I have not found yet. The results did include the ones I was looking for but it also included a couple for other owners. It looks like the results include ALL caches that have had corrected coordinates even though they were owned by another CO.

Just wanted to mention this to see if it is a known issue - not a big issue for me.

Thanks for your support to help us enjoy this game!

First I think the Advanced Search does have some nice features to filter down the list of caches to your specific criteria. I was recently using this to find the caches of an Owner that I have not found yet. The results did include the ones I was looking for but it also included a couple for other owners. It looks like the results include ALL caches that have had corrected coordinates even though they were owned by another CO.

Just wanted to mention this to see if it is a known issue - not a big issue for me.

Can you tell us exactly which criteria you're using, so others can try it and see if they get similar results? You mention "I haven't found", "Hidden By", and "Has Corrected Coordinates". Are there any others, or is that it?

One possibility: for the ones that show as being owned by a different owner, can you double-check that those are truly owned by a different user? If someone adopts a cache and doesn't change the "Placed by" text field, it would still show the old owner's name, so I'm wondering if that's what has happened here. To confirm who the owner is, you need to open up the cache page and click on the "Placed by" name to see which profile it takes you to.

Can you tell us exactly which criteria you're using, so others can try it and see if they get similar results? You mention "I haven't found", "Hidden By", and "Has Corrected Coordinates". Are there any others, or is that it?

One possibility: for the ones that show as being owned by a different owner, can you double-check that those are truly owned by a different user? If someone adopts a cache and doesn't change the "Placed by" text field, it would still show the old owner's name, so I'm wondering if that's what has happened here. To confirm who the owner is, you need to open up the cache page and click on the "Placed by" name to see which profile it takes you to.

Here are the steps I did to reproduce this and I did have another cacher do the same test as well.

Play --> Find A Geocache

Search by zip code and then Add Filter

In the filter I expanded the search area from 10 miles to 30 miles

I selected the radio button for Caches I Haven't Found

I added A Hidden By to add the CO I was searching for

The results included two caches that I verified were not the owner I was searching for and both of these had corrected coordinates.

I went back to the change the search filer and removed the Hidden By and selected the Radio Button for Yes Has Corrected Coordinates and got the same two that also appeared with the Hidden By CO search.

Please let me know if you need the exact values I was using.

Thanks!

Matt

Here are the steps I did to reproduce this and I did have another cacher do the same test as well.

Play --> Find A Geocache

Search by zip code and then Add Filter

In the filter I expanded the search area from 10 miles to 30 miles

I selected the radio button for Caches I Haven't Found

I added A Hidden By to add the CO I was searching for

The results included two caches that I verified were not the owner I was searching for and both of these had corrected coordinates.

I went back to the change the search filer and removed the Hidden By and selected the Radio Button for Yes Has Corrected Coordinates and got the same two that also appeared with the Hidden By CO search.

Please let me know if you need the exact values I was using.

Thanks!

Matt

Here is one of the searches I was doing that includes incorrect results.

Search Zip Code 12801 for 10 Miles

Caches that you have not found that are owned by Oxyperious

I got 244 Results that include the following 3 caches that are NOT owned by Oxyperious

GC2C7Z2 GC4NVKH and GC3DT3D

Hope this helps!

Matt

I tried the search you described and I get even wackier results. I'm not even sure how to explain it, because there's no discernible pattern. No matter how I sort the list of results, there's a block of caches that includes 33 caches not owned by Oxyperious that never seems to re-order.

This seems similar to some odd behaviour I experienced when the new search tool was being previewed, which would at least temporarily be fixed by clearing the browser cache. As far as I could tell, the list of results would sometimes include part of the results of a previous search. I hadn't experienced it since, and haven't heard of anyone else having similar issues, but I guess it's still happening.

@Groundspeak: Here's some info you can use to try to track down the problem.

Following the exact process described by MoonMatt below gave me wacky results (ie. records not matching the criteria) on a system running Windows 8.1, IE11:

Search Zip Code 12801 for 10 Miles

Caches that you have not found that are owned by Oxyperious

When I tried the same thing on a computer running Windows 7 and Firefox 38.0.5, I got results as expected. I believe when I experienced similar behaviour during the preview, it also happened when using IE but not in Firefox. Clearing IE's cache fixed the problem, though it happened once more about a day later. I hadn't seen it happen again until just now. Based on what I've seen and admittedly not knowing what browser MoonMatt is using, I'd say there's something about the search tool that doesn't play nice with IE's cache, which leads to part of the results of a previous search showing up in the results of subsequent searches.

We released an update to the search page this afternoon which fixes a bug that we believe was causing the issue you described (along with other erroneous results). Please try your initial search again and let us know if you continue to see errors in the results. Thanks for reporting your issues!

We released an update to the search page this afternoon which fixes a bug that we believe was causing the issue you described (along with other erroneous results). Please try your initial search again and let us know if you continue to see errors in the results. Thanks for reporting your issues!

Ben

I retested the original search as well as some others where I noticed erroneous results and they all returned the expected results!

Thanks for your quick attention to resolving this issue!

MoonMatt

Ben

I retested the original search as well as some others where I noticed erroneous results and they all returned the expected results!

Thanks for your quick attention to resolving this issue!

MoonMatt

Awesome! Thanks so much for checking again and reporting back.