An apology, and a word to the wise...

Davros

I must apologize for the ongoing battles with the present host provider of mdgps.net. I assure you that we are looking into a more reliable service provider as we speak. I have been fooling around on the internet since 1986 and I must admit, NEVER have I run across such an un reliable service provider of any sort. And believe me I've seen a few.. But PowWeb takes the gold medal on that issue.

Come to think of it I've never run across ANY company anywhere who treats thier customers so poorly. Based on this concept I don't think PowWeb has much of a future anyway. So it's best we bail out while we can. All I can say is that if you, or anyone you know wants to set up thier own website steer them clear of PowWeb. They preach miracles but can not provide what they offer. It's too good to be true.

Their Tech Support is almost like another well known company who states If you've got questions we've got answers. Yet you're sure to find out if they don't know what they're talking about and they'll make something up instead of admitting it. There are too many hidden loop holes, and too many rules changed in the middle of the game. They don't believe in "If it Aint Broke Don't Fix It". Too many times they have made server upgrades or changes to the operating system without any advanced notice. After a request to relocate our domain to a more reliable server they did so without the advance notice we agreed on. Not only did they fail to notify me when the changes would be made leaving us once again with a dead website, they also failed to transfer the entire domain leaving half of it unreachable on another server.

One of the most recent events which caused us to be off the air for nearly 4 days while they took thier time to fix their mistake. It seems they decided to upgrade the PHP Core which creates the dynamic pages you see out of the PHP scripts. When they made the changes, once again a site that was working perfectly was rendered useless. Then at first they tried to blame it on our website, and our source code that had not been changed in months, yet for some reason it stopped working overnight. PowWeb provides very poor service all around. They expect to make changes to thier services without properly letting thier customers know in advance then they try to make you the fool when something goes wrong with your site due to the changes they made.

This final episode is the straw that broke the camels back as they say. Once again, they changed the rules in the middle of the game. The site was working, and had been working, until they decided to put a number of files limit on thier servers, here again, a site that was working in a matter of seconds became useless. You can be assured that we will find another host provider ASAP. Once again, I apologize for the downtime and the continuing problems with the website. You can be sure that it is totally out of our control. We appreciate you standing by us throughout this bumpy ride.

Now, I've told at least 2 friends.. Pass the word on. "Say No to PowWeb"

Randall J. Berry

davros@mdgps.net

MicroLogo.jpg

www.mdgps.net

Well, I'm glad to say we've found a host provider. The site is now being rebuilt on the new server. Once the files are up and the site is tested we'll change our records to point at the new host.

Thanks for your recomendations Ben, unfortunatly we eat up a bit too much bandwidth for the provider you recomended. If they're good for you keep them! A good host seems to be getting hard to find these days.

Randall J. Berry

davros@mdgps.net

MicroLogo.jpg

www.mdgps.net

To report another problem with our previous host which has uncovered itself. It seems they had been counting both accounts as one. So, the account on the server which should have been deactivated since our domain was reloacted to another server on thier network was still indeed active. The files that were located on the old server were not deleted or removed from our disk usage stats. Thus adding to our file quota. So, the 15,000+ files they claimed we had was actually the sum of the two accounts. Being as they so abruptly moved our domain without any advance notice, nor did the simply move the files. Instead they zipped the entire website and copied the zip to the new directory. Which left our site dead until the website files were re-installed. Meanwhile they continued to count a directory on our account which we could not even access.

I knew that it was impossible for our site to contain more than 265 Mb as claimed. Since I keep and maintain exact duplicate of the site for backup on my hard drive, and it's entire content is less than 100 Mb. (86.3 Mb including the database to be exact.)

Just another tid bit of information to make an example of how poorly thier services are maintained or the lack of communication within.

Our new host is Altera Hosting, based in Maryland. So we are very happy to be supporting a local business who agrees with our efforts.

We're still waiting for our refund from the other non-service provider.

Randall J. Berry

davros@mdgps.net

MicroLogo.jpg

www.mdgps.net