Signing logs in random places

That's quite a stretch. Anyone who would care enough to do something like that has more than likely already been tracking your every movement and wouldn't need a moldy log sheet to confirm it. :ph34r:

Not really...say by putting the time down, people know how long it took me to get there, so they can adjust the way they do things accordingly. In my area, sometimes FTF takes a while, so why let them know if I got there immediately or it took me two hours?

I can't see how anyone would use times on a log to "exploit" anything...but then again, I can't see why anyone would even bother writing the exact time (aside from FTF logs, I suppose).

See above. One can get a better notion of when they should act to counteract my rush for FTF...

They could just watch your online logs. Besides, have a cell/smart phone?

I do, but more often than not, I wait until I get home to log, and that may be hours after the fact.

Heinous.

Indeed. Unrolling a log is such a huge burden on the next cacher.

I can't believe the game has survived.

It's worse than putting a pencil in a ziplock bag.

It's worse than logging your cache on the wrong day because you forgot to change the date when you were typing the log!

Who do these people think they are?

You can choose to interpret it as "disrespectful" and send someone an email about it if you wish, but the better course of action is to remind yourself that it is absolutely harmless and spend your energy worrying about your own logs.

Yup.

While it is "nice" if someone signs the next line down, not everyone does. This can be on purpose, or an honest mistake. Either way, it doesn't matter, so long as they've signed the log before logging online. :ph34r:

Heinous.

It's worse than logging your cache on the wrong day because you forgot to change the date when you were typing the log!

Next thing you know, we'll have complaints because the coordinates were off by a foot (0.3 meters).

Heinous.

Next thing you know, we'll have complaints because the coordinates were off by a foot (0.3 meters).

We are all one action away from being heretics. :o

Heinous.

What kind of geocaching sociopath would allow such a thing to happen?

Exactly. It's as big a burden as it is on the current cacher. It's almost as big a burden as saying "thank-you" when someone does something for you.

Only the most depraved misanthrope would stoop to such atrocities. Stop the madness.

I thought of this thread today when i found a cache. The CO had somehow stapled together about 10 log sheets to make some kind of book. There was about 10 open spots with the FTF area on it. Again it was in a muggle area so I just picked out a nice FTF spot and signed it.

In your day job, do you stamp passports on random pages? ;)

In islamic countries by instance, they will stamp on the end of the passport. :)

From I've seen when I've gone through immigration is that they'll just flip through until they see an empty page and stamp an open spot. I"d say most of the stamps are in random spots on the visa pages. I've got 12 blank pages between one that has an Ethiopian visa (with entry and exit stamps) and a page with an exit stamp from UAE, followed by a page with an exit stamp from Denmark.

Heinous.

We are all one action away from being heretics. :o

I've recently read that every one of us commits at least three felonies every day without even knowing it.

I'm not usually one to lean in favour of capital punishment, but is there any other way to deal with such irredeemable monsters? What's next? Leaving trackables in their pockets? Letting the lamppost cover make noise? I can barely stand to think about such horrors. Keep your children safe and archive your caches now, before they can hurt anyone else.

I've recently read that every one of us commits at least three felonies every day without even knowing it.
You know, I might believe "at least three infractions". When I'm in a cynical mood, I might even believe "at least three misdemeanors". But "at least three felonies" is just silly.

infraction examples - not wearing seatbelt, minor speeding, littering, running a red light

misdemeanor examples - petty theft, driving without a license, vandalism, reckless driving

felony examples - murder, robbery, rape

You know, I might believe "at least three infractions". When I'm in a cynical mood, I might even believe "at least three misdemeanors". But "at least three felonies" is just silly.

infraction examples - not wearing seatbelt, minor speeding, littering, running a red light

misdemeanor examples - petty theft, driving without a license, vandalism, reckless driving

Maybe in the dark corners of one's mind...?

In real action, though...yeah, I'm not buying it. Unless we're talking about some country with weird laws where wearing short shorts is punishable by death or something.

Edited by J Grouchy

Maybe in the dark corners of one's mind...?

In real action, though...yeah, I'm not buying it. Unless we're talking about some country with weird laws where wearing short shorts is punishable by death or something.

The line is referring to this book.

Three Felonies a Day

Though I have read that there isn't much inside the book illustrating it. It is more about pointing out the books and books of cloudy Federal Laws in the US and how they have been used against people.

Edited by giddeanx

Three Felonies a Day

Though I have read that there isn't much inside the book illustrating it. It is more about pointing out the books and books of cloudy Federal Laws in the US and how they have been used against people.

Even with some of those obscure examples, I think it would take quite a string of coincidences for one person to unknowingly commit three felonies in one day.

And the original claim that everyone unknowingly commits at least three felonies a day is just silly.

Three Felonies a Day

Even with some of those obscure examples, I think it would take quite a string of coincidences for one person to unknowingly commit three felonies in one day.

And the original claim that everyone unknowingly commits at least three felonies a day is just silly.

I find it intriguing that so many of you took my comment seriously.. :unsure:

That's OK, but just recognize that in most of these cases, what you're saying is "It's not worth my time to unroll the log sheet, so I'll make someone else do it, instead." I'm particularly amused by you inflicting this on later cachers with the entirely irrelevant justification that the cache didn't inspire you.

Actually, if the next finder doesn't feel it is worth it, they are free to sign over my name -- I'm not "making" anyone do anything.

And, a cache not inspiring me is hardly irrelevant -- my enjoyment of caching is actually the most relevant thing in the game to me.

Actually, if the next finder doesn't feel it is worth it, they are free to sign over my name -- I'm not "making" anyone do anything.

That's certainly true: they could be even more rude than you were. Always an option.

And, a cache not inspiring me is hardly irrelevant -- my enjoyment of caching is actually the most relevant thing in the game to me.

It's irrelevant because the people signing the log after you have nothing to do with the quality of the cache, yet they're the ones your being rude to because the cache was uninspiring. It would make more sense if, when you were uninspired, you simply didn't sign the log at all.

Read all about it: http://kottke.org/13/06/you-commit-three-felonies-a-day

In a book called Three Felonies A Day, Boston civil rights lawyer Harvey Silverglate says that everyone in the US commits felonies everyday and if the government takes a dislike to you for any reason, they'll dig in and find a felony you're guilty of.

One isn't required to respond to every thread.

It was said once that "how hard is it to be a little less severe about something so inconsequential?"

Maybe put away the pokey stick for day or two, eh?

Exactly. The OP is a grand total of 8 posts to these forums. I'm surprised he dared start this thread, if this is the sort of reaction his other posts have had. The sarcasm, ridicule, and hyperbole here have been over the top.

It's irrelevant because the people signing the log after you have nothing to do with the quality of the cache, yet they're the ones your being rude to because the cache was uninspiring. It would make more sense if, when you were uninspired, you simply didn't sign the log at all.

This wins the prize as the most absurd post of the week.

... Often logbooks are torn up a bit over time, random loose sheets fall out of the books, or there are already random signatures it's often hard to find where to sign. I won't spend a lot of effort on that.

Okay, only 35 finds, so far, but almost all of the logs have been like this. Sometimes there are two log sheets or even two log books. Which do you sign? Sometimes, there are multiple sheets in a log where different people have started a new consecutive set of dates. Sometimes there are just scraps of paper.

So... why not design a better log?

Edited by LaughterOnWater

Read all about it: http://kottke.org/13...-felonies-a-day

In a book called Three Felonies A Day, Boston civil rights lawyer Harvey Silverglate says that everyone in the US commits felonies everyday and if the government takes a dislike to you for any reason, they'll dig in and find a felony you're guilty of.

I was hoping that would provide some examples of felonies that *everyone* commits but instead there is one example a CEO of a company failing to comply with a request by the NSA to perform a massive wiretap.

This wins the prize as the most absurd post of the week.

Does this mean that you didn't understand it, or that you disagreed with what he was saying? Or that you didn't care to try to understand it? I may not agree with it, but I can understand what he is trying to say.

Read all about it: http://kottke.org/13...-felonies-a-day

I was hoping that would provide some examples of felonies that *everyone* commits but instead there is one example a CEO of a company failing to comply with a request by the NSA to perform a massive wiretap.

Not only would that be way off topic, but I haven't read the book. I merely did a search for what Bart mentioned. I wasn't defending anything. Just offering information.

... Often logbooks are torn up a bit over time, random loose sheets fall out of the books, or there are already random signatures it's often hard to find where to sign. I won't spend a lot of effort on that.

Okay, only 35 finds, so far, but almost all of the logs have been like this. Sometimes there are two log sheets or even two log books. Which do you sign? Sometimes, there are multiple sheets in a log where different people have started a new consecutive set of dates. Sometimes there are just scraps of paper.

So... why not design a better log?

After 2000+ finds, you'll understand that no amount of "design" will keep paper logs from getting a bit damaged once they're out in field.

The easiest course of action is to put your name where you can, recite the serenity prayer, and move on.

Okay, only 35 finds, so far, but almost all of the logs have been like this

Looks like you should start looking for "better" (higher quality) caches then.

How is this for a logbook (width is about 50cm)

logbook.jpg

I wouldn't have the patience for such a thing...and I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was torn up after a few weeks of people trying to unroll it quickly or getting it wet in the rain. Unless it's made of Tyvek, I doubt it stays pristine for long. Heck...even the person who snapped that photo obviously laid it out on the damp-looking ground.

Edited by J Grouchy

logbook.jpg

I wouldn't have the patience for such a thing...and I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was torn up after a few weeks of people trying to unroll it quickly or getting it wet in the rain. Unless it's made of Tyvek, I doubt it stays pristine for long. Heck...even the person who snapped that photo obviously laid it out on the damp-looking ground.

It was placed on the ground to hide the hole in the ground the CO dug in order to place the cache. ph34r.gif

logbook.jpg

It was placed on the ground to hide the hole in the ground the CO dug in order to place the cache. ph34r.gif

It does look like there is a long, semi-cylindrical shaped depression in the ground to the left of the paper...but maybe that's just my imagination...

It does look like there is a long, semi-cylindrical shaped depression in the ground to the left of the paper...but maybe that's just my imagination...

I do have the patience and take great care in not damaging anything. I almost never sign and dash anyway.

This logbook was in a PVC tube and the cache location is at least 2m to the right of the image. This was just one of a series of great caches with unique containers (all the CO's handywork). On top of that another series was close by (close enough to combine both) which also had the same quality. In all about 40 caches for which I must have awarded 15-20 favorites. No magnetic micro's or micro under a rock behind an utility pole there.

I do have the patience and take great care in not damaging anything. I almost never sign and dash anyway.

This logbook was in a PVC tube and the cache location is at least 2m to the right of the image. This was just one of a series of great caches with unique containers (all the CO's handywork). On top of that another series was close by (close enough to combine both) which also had the same quality. In all about 40 caches for which I must have awarded 15-20 favorites. No magnetic micro's or micro under a rock behind an utility pole there.

All well and good, until the next person comes along and does NOT have the time or patience...or maybe they do but still end up ripping the sheet anyway. It's virtually unavoidable.

Not quite a "pet peeve" for me, but I avoid use of cheap "adhesive backed" notebooks. You know, the ones where the pages easily fall out. These can make a mess of a cache. I doesn't have to be fancy, a simple spiral bound notebook will stay together fairly well (though it can still get wet of course). Or in smaller caches I'll use a logsheet (strip of paper rolled or folded).

Not quite a "pet peeve" for me, but I avoid use of cheap "adhesive backed" notebooks. You know, the ones where the pages easily fall out. These can make a mess of a cache. I doesn't have to be fancy, a simple spiral bound notebook will stay together fairly well (though it can still get wet of course). Or in smaller caches I'll use a logsheet (strip of paper rolled or folded).

Spiral note books can be cut into smaller books too. I've seen that many times and it seems to work fairly well.

logbook.jpg

< grin >

I can understand a scroll log for smaller caches, match-case and below in size, but a 20-inch wide scroll? Where are you going to unroll it in forest understory so you don't write your pen through the paper? Ugh.

Note to self: add writing desk to TOTT kit.

Fixed! Now its on topic. :anibad:

Copyright infringement anyone? I don't remember allowing anyone to use/change my photograph.

You think a guy with that signature line would recognize parody.

See, by not using a smiley you seem to have thought I was serious :ph34r:

On the other hand, if I were serious.....

Fixed! Now its on topic. :anibad:

Copyright infringement anyone? I don't remember allowing anyone to use/change my photograph.

You think a guy with that signature line would recognize parody.

See, by not using a smiley you seem to have thought I was serious :ph34r:

On the other hand, if I were serious.....

Wow you can really suck the fun out of something. :tired:

Spiral note books can be cut into smaller books too. I've seen that many times and it seems to work fairly well.
I've done that, but I've also seen the holes tear out of the pages of a spiral notebook. There are notebooks that are stitched, rather than stapled or spiral-bound. Those seem to hold up better over time, although you need a dab of glue to keep the stitching from unraveling when you cut a larger stitched notebook into smaller log books.

Sigh.....why can't we all be courteous to each other? Some think this thread is calling cache finders names. I have seen other threads make demands on cache owners: - take me someplace interesting, take me someplace pretty, give me a challenging nano, don't hide a lame-o micro, and on and on. There is PLENTY of "do it my way" on the part of both hiders and finders.

It makes me sad. It also makes me tired - there is just a whole "entitlement" philosphy out there these days. Since, as GeoBain quite correctly stated, the only behavior I can control is my own, maybe I should just concentrate on the finding part of the game, where I can try to write decent logs, replace container lids properly and carefully, thank the owner, etc.

Oh, and wmpastor, it's "Quayle", not "Quale"! :laughing: :laughing:

Mrs. Car54

Potatoe / potato :lol:

You can sign my logs any way you want. I'm not going to get my panties in a bunch over it if you sign differently.

That's one thing I love about this game, you can play a number of different ways, and you can IGNORE a lot of the things you don't like. I like competing for numbers against my friends...but I couldn't care how many someone from Arizona or whatever has found. I don't care about FTFs; some people make a big deal of them, though, and that cool if that's their thing. Some people like to do the challenge caches, some don't care for them. If the different ways to play are a big problem for you, you should try and take it up with Groundspeak and get the rules tightened up. And good luck with that....while you're working with them, encourage them to bring back virtuals. :)

If your logs are getting filled up so quickly and random placement of signatures is big problem for you....Congrats!! Your caches must be awesome and tons of people find them. Be happy about that. :)

You can sign my logs any way you want. I'm not going to get my panties in a bunch over it if you sign differently.

Seekers look at logs far more often than COs, so while it's nice of COs to be flexible, they're not really the ones I'm advocating for when I encourage orderly dated logs.