Signing logs in random places

The date is not relevant to anybody looking at the logbook. The date is online. There is no requirement to date or time the log. Would you suggest the date has to follow a specific format too?

Without the date it's a lot harder for the CO to verify hardcopy with the online logs especially if people log at random pages.

The date is not relevant to anybody looking at the logbook. The date is online. There is no requirement to date or time the log. Would you suggest the date has to follow a specific format too?

Without the date it's a lot harder for the CO to verify hardcopy with the online logs especially if people log at random pages.

Oh well. Sometimes, being a cache owner takes a bit of effort.

Well, I have to say that the one person you aren't signing the log for is yourself. So if your only excuse is that you don't know the date, stop being lazy and look up the date before you head out so the people that actually look at your signature in the log book can tell when you were there.

Yikes.

Unless the cache owner is trying to validate on-line logs. Some do, and they have the right to do so.

It seems it's the cachers who doesn't want to put in any effort these days. Logging TFTC (or just "."), too lazy to sign in the next available blank spot, not replacing the cache where it was... It shouldn't take to much time/effort for some :blink:

It seems it's the cachers who doesn't want to put in any effort these days. Logging TFTC (or just "."), too lazy to sign in the next available blank spot, not replacing the cache where it was... It shouldn't take to much time/effort for some :blink:

It seems that some geocachers are very quick to say very vicious things about other geocachers with very little prompting.

Look at the awful words used in this thread. Lazy? Disrespectful? Cheating? This nastiness, because someone had the audacity to put their name on the wrong part of a piece of paper, or didn't thank you in enough words.

The date is not relevant to anybody looking at the logbook. The date is online.

I guess you've never run into a case where someone forgot to log online or logged later and forgot to set the date back. And you've never faced the problem of figuring out which cache a physical log came from. In general, dates in both places make it significantly easier to correlate the physical and online logs. (Of course, dateless logs become ridiculous to sort out if the names aren't even in order, so I assume you agree that that's a good idea.)

There is no requirement to date or time the log.

I'm not claiming there's a requirement to date your log, I'm only saying it's polite.

Would you suggest the date has to follow a specific format too?

As with any other case where you're doing something to be nice to someone else, naturally dates should be in a format that people looking at the log will tend to recognize, although I admit I sometimes date in my home's local format even when I'm overseas where my month and day are backwards.

Sheesh, I had no idea people considered it such an awful burden to put a date on their logs that I actually have to justify it by pointing out that it's a simple courtesy.

Look at the awful words used in this thread. Lazy?

"Lazy" is an awful word? Come on, how hard is it to figure out what day it is before you do something for which you'll need to know what day it is? To me, that's like not bringing a pen with you.

"Lazy" is an awful word? Come on, how hard is it to figure out what day it is before you do something for which you'll need to know what day it is? To me, that's like not bringing a pen with you.

Conversely, how hard is it to be a little less severe about something so inconsequential?

Well, I have to say that the one person you aren't signing the log for is yourself. So if your only excuse is that you don't know the date, stop being lazy and look up the date before you head out so the people that actually look at your signature in the log book can tell when you were there.

Yikes.

Unless the cache owner is trying to validate on-line logs. Some do, and they have the right to do so.

The CO can look at the paper log all he or she wants, but there's no requirement for writing a date. The only "validating" they can really do is to check that you put your nickname on the paper.

Conversely, how hard is it to be a little less severe about something so inconsequential?

I'm not being severe, I'm just advocating common courtesy.

Common courtesy is a moving target.

Sign the log.

Make sure your written log is long enough. But make sure it doesn't take up too much space.

Make sure it has a date. Better still, add a time, in case there's some sort of dispute about who got there 156th or 157th.

Use a stamp to save space, but don't use a stamp for more than one person in a team.

Make sure your log is in the correct place on the paper.

Make sure you fold the paper up just right.

Make sure the cache isn't open very long in the rain or snow while you're making sure your log has all the required information and is in the correct place and is the correct size.

Make sure your swag is good. It should simultaneously be a toy, not a toy, plastic, not plastic, new in the package, and recycled.

Log your find online quickly, but don't do it from the field with an app.

Make sure your online log is long, but doesn't have anything boring in it. Talk about your adventure but don't talk about it too much. Everyone hates short logs and nobody wants to scroll through long logs.

Be sure to thank the cache owner profusely, but don't use any acronyms to do so.

Anything less, and you are a lazy, discourteous, disrespectful cheater.

I'm not being severe, I'm just advocating common courtesy.

Common courtesy is a moving target.

Sign the log.

Make sure your written log is long enough. But make sure it doesn't take up too much space.

Make sure it has a date. Better still, add a time, in case there's some sort of dispute about who got there 156th or 157th.

Use a stamp to save space, but don't use a stamp for more than one person in a team.

Make sure your log is in the correct place on the paper.

Make sure you fold the paper up just right.

Make sure the cache isn't open very long in the rain or snow while you're making sure your log has all the required information and is in the correct place and is the correct size.

Make sure your swag is good. It should simultaneously be a toy, not a toy, plastic, not plastic, new in the package, and recycled.

Log your find online quickly, but don't do it from the field with an app.

Make sure your online log is long, but doesn't have anything boring in it. Talk about your adventure but don't talk about it too much. Everyone hates short logs and nobody wants to scroll through long logs.

Be sure to thank the cache owner profusely, but don't use any acronyms to do so.

And anthing more, and you are a selfish, discourteous, disrespectful cheater. :(

As has been said, any way you cache is wrong. :(

Sorry for your geocaching. My geocaching is:

1. Use your GPS device to assist you in finding the hidden geocache.

2a) If you take something from the geocache (or "cache"), leave something of equal or greater value.

2b) Sign the logbook and return the geocache to its original location.

3. Share your geocaching stories and photos online.

Still works fine...

Yikes.

Um, the point made earlier is that a trickster can "phony up" the online date to meet the requirements of a streak or challenge. When you sign and date a log, you commit yourself to the historical facts, not keep an ace up your sleeve to pull off chicanery later.

I'm a relatively new member, but I suggest this log as a fairly good one. AND I logged online within a half hour of the find, commented more than "TFTC," and posted four photos taken that morning near the cache site. (This particular CO has in the past thanked me for posting photos on almost every online log in the recent past (for his caches and others), and he said that he wished that more cachers posted photos.)(That's quicker and easier with a smartphone, but that's another story.) B)

Veterans take note! :ph34r:

504267ae-25de-42aa-b435-ca0e251bd543.jpg

Um, the point made earlier is that a trickster can "phony up" the online date to meet the requirements of a streak or challenge. When you sign and date a log, you commit yourself to the historical facts, not keep an ace up your sleeve to pull off chicanery later.

I don't do streaks or challenges, so the dates for me personally are irrelevant.

I don't do streaks or challenges, so the dates for me personally are irrelevant.

You're right, this whole issue is not a huge deal.

That said, suppose I knew a local cacher who claimed a 1,000 day streak. If I had seen his/her signature in multiple cache log sheets, *and always with a date beside the signature,* I would be just a tiny bit more certain of the accomplishment than if the signatures were randomly placed and never dated. The reason should be obvious, but if someone hasn't read the whole thread, it's simple - if there's no date on the log sheet, then you can choose to log online at home anytime - for example, on a day when you're sick in bed with the flu, and want to preserve your streak without going through a 18" blizzard!

Reason for edit: to change "your" to "you're." Cascade already pounced on me once today for spelling "rogue" as "rouge." :rolleyes:

Edited by wmpastor

You're right, this whole issue is not a huge deal.

That said, suppose I knew a local cacher who claimed a 1,000 day streak. If I had seen his/her signature in multiple cache log sheets, *and always with a date beside the signature,* I would be just a tiny bit more certain of the accomplishment than if the signatures were randomly placed and never dated. The reason should be obvious, but if someone hasn't read the whole thread, it's simple - if there's no date on the log sheet, then you can choose to log online at home anytime - for example, on a day when you're sick in bed with the flu, and want to preserve your streak without going through a 18" blizzard!

Reason for edit: to change "your" to "you're." Cascade already pounced on me once today for spelling "rogue" as "rouge." :rolleyes:

Oh yeah that's what local Facebook groups are for. We've caught people in the act of forward dating logs and then later using them for a streak. They got mocked and we snicker at them at events, but that's about it. If they want to claim a streak, whatever.

Needless to say, I didn't say anything like that. Look, if you don't want to date your logs or you don't want to say "please" and "thank-you", be my guest. If you don't care what I think about you not signing the log, then I'm sure you care even less whether I think you're lazy.

Needless to say, I didn't say anything like that. Look, if you don't want to date your logs or you don't want to say "please" and "thank-you", be my guest. If you don't care what I think about you not signing the log, then I'm sure you care even less whether I think you're lazy.

These names have all been used in this thread by various people. My bolded comment is a summary of those needless labels.

There is no need for anybody to be so disparaging and harsh about something so benign.

I'm not sure I understand. On the one hand, you say that dating the log or saying please and thank you are considered courtesies. On the other hand, if you don't do or say them, you're lazy. How can one be lazy if they don't do something someone else considers a courtesy? If something truly is a "courtesy", it should never be expected from anyone else.

I have learned that if it can be done, people will do it.

If it can be done wrong, people will do it.

If it can be done so as to upset others, people will do it.

I've also learned that the only person I can change is me.

If that means changing whether or not I allow the way others cache to upset me, well, that is a whole lot easier than changing how someone else caches.

These names have all been used in this thread by various people. My bolded comment is a summary of those needless labels.

Yes, but the entire list was posted in response to me even though I'm making a simple and obvious point about manners, not condemning people as cheaters.

I'm not sure I understand. On the one hand, you say that dating the log or saying please and thank you are considered courtesies. On the other hand, if you don't do or say them, you're lazy. How can one be lazy if they don't do something someone else considers a courtesy? If something truly is a "courtesy", it should never be expected from anyone else.

Being polite is not required, but not being polite is still lazy. Well, except when one is intentionally being rude, but the argument here was that looking at the GPSr screen to get the date was too much effort, not that they wanted to be rude.

There is a cache hider in my area who puts in his cache description (sign the log sequentially, not just anywhere) He has contacted numerous people including myself and said something about it. Your not gonna be (one of THOSE cachers) are you? he asked. I now go out of my way to find his caches just to log the in random places. I even did it right in front of him as he handed me a cache that he was replacing. I recently got an FTF on one of his caches and in the FTF spot I wrote (see other side) and on the back was my name, BIG, sideways and not in order.

I guess I am gonna be one of THOSE caches.

I have learned that if it can be done, people will do it.

If it can be done wrong, people will do it.

If it can be done so as to upset others, people will do it.

I've also learned that the only person I can change is me.

If that means changing whether or not I allow the way others cache to upset me, well, that is a whole lot easier than changing how someone else caches.

Move over, Mr. Murphy! GeoBain is taking center stage!

Realizing that we can affect our own happiness by how we choose to react to some events is a major life lesson. B)

There is a cache hider in my area who puts in his cache description (sign the log sequentially, not just anywhere) He has contacted numerous people including myself and said something about it. Your not gonna be (one of THOSE cachers) are you? he asked. I now go out of my way to find his caches just to log the in random places. I even did it right in front of him as he handed me a cache that he was replacing. I recently got an FTF on one of his caches and in the FTF spot I wrote (see other side) and on the back was my name, BIG, sideways and not in order.

I guess I am gonna be one of THOSE caches.

In your day job, do you stamp passports on random pages? ;)

I have signed caches out of order. We always add the date as we work on a streak. It is never out of disrespect to the CO or the game. The only time I will do it is say I am on a trail and I look down it and see someone slowly walking up. I have the cache in hand. I have 2 choices. I can sign it really quickly and replace it without anyone noticing or I can wait for this muggle to slowly walk by as I sit there awkwardly waiting. Who knows they might decide to sit right there and have lunch. Well I guess there is a third choice I could just sign it right and replace it with a possible muggle watching who could take the cache after I leave.

With almost 4000 finds I have only done this a hand full of times but have done it and always because of a muggle factor. If the cache is out in the middle of no where with no one around I will definitely take the time to try and sign the right spot. Sometimes there are several sheets of logs and they are all out of order so I just sign under one as well.

Yes, but the entire list was posted in response to me even though I'm making a simple and obvious point about manners, not condemning people as cheaters.

And my comment is not in reply to you as a person but in reply to the general theme of the thread, which is all about condemning geocachers in one way or another for something absolutely harmless.

The "courtesy" thing is no different than any of the other things that have been said. Obey my personal preferences as a cache owner or you are not showing courtesy. Obey my personal preferences or you are lazy. Obey my personal preferences or you are cheating. Obey my personal preferences or you are disrespecting me.

Just one more example of how, no matter what geocachers do, they are doing it wrong.

I just don't get it. I don't get the point of putting out a cache just so the finders can be scolded and scrutinized for every little thing.

I almost always sign the next available spot. But there have been plenty of times when that next available spot is hard to determine. One cache recently had not been found in three years, and ink had run all over the place. I found a clean spot and signed it. In another, the log had been wet and then dry several times, and all of the pages were glued together. I found two pages I could separate without shredding the logbook, and put my mark. Yes it was random, and it was also the only option without doing damage.

Austin

I almost always sign in the very next spot, but I almost never put the date in, unless it's the FTF, because half the time I don't know the proper date, anyway. For FTF, I will check the date. I know many do, I also intentionally never put in the FTF time. Why should people get a glimpse at when I got the cache? They might be able to extrapolate the times I am free and exploit that.

:D

I almost always sign in the very next spot, but I almost never put the date in, unless it's the FTF, because half the time I don't know the proper date, anyway. For FTF, I will check the date. I know many do, I also intentionally never put in the FTF time. Why should people get a glimpse at when I got the cache? They might be able to extrapolate the times I am free and exploit that.

That's quite a stretch. Anyone who would care enough to do something like that has more than likely already been tracking your every movement and wouldn't need a moldy log sheet to confirm it. :ph34r:

That's quite a stretch. Anyone who would care enough to do something like that has more than likely already been tracking your every movement and wouldn't need a moldy log sheet to confirm it. :ph34r:

Shhhhh....!

gps-tracker-under-the-car.jpg

Edited by knowschad

Shhhhh....!

gps-tracker-under-the-car.jpg

Someone posted recently the old line "past performance is no guarantee of future results". I can't see how anyone would use times on a log to "exploit" anything...but then again, I can't see why anyone would even bother writing the exact time (aside from FTF logs, I suppose).

So I've recently (within the past year or two) noticed a few cachers who sign logs in random places. For example, signing in the middle of the back on a micro log sheet or a random page in a regular cache's notebook. They don't sign under everyone else's names. They also don't take the time to write the date. It's clear that they just want to sign and be done with it.

For me, it depends on the cache. Yep, there are some caches that I just want to get it over with. Whether that's because it's raining/snowing and I just want to get back in the car (and to minimize the amount of time the cache is exposed to the weather), or a muggle is coming and I want to get the thing re-hidden, the cache is a micro and it would take too much effort to unroll the whole log sheet, or maybe the cache simply isn't inspiring.

If the circumstances warrant it, I'll sign and date the log and maybe even write a small paragraph about the weather or my experience. Unfortunately, those caches are fewer and farther between now and often the physical logbook is a necessary bookkeeping exercise more than part of the caching experience.

Sigh.....why can't we all be courteous to each other? Some think this thread is calling cache finders names. I have seen other threads make demands on cache owners: - take me someplace interesting, take me someplace pretty, give me a challenging nano, don't hide a lame-o micro, and on and on. There is PLENTY of "do it my way" on the part of both hiders and finders.

It makes me sad. It also makes me tired - there is just a whole "entitlement" philosphy out there these days. Since, as GeoBain quite correctly stated, the only behavior I can control is my own, maybe I should just concentrate on the finding part of the game, where I can try to write decent logs, replace container lids properly and carefully, thank the owner, etc.

Oh, and wmpastor, it's "Quayle", not "Quale"! :laughing: :laughing:

Mrs. Car54

For me, it depends on the cache. Yep, there are some caches that I just want to get it over with. Whether that's because it's raining/snowing and I just want to get back in the car (and to minimize the amount of time the cache is exposed to the weather), or a muggle is coming and I want to get the thing re-hidden, the cache is a micro and it would take too much effort to unroll the whole log sheet, or maybe the cache simply isn't inspiring.

That's OK, but just recognize that in most of these cases, what you're saying is "It's not worth my time to unroll the log sheet, so I'll make someone else do it, instead." I'm particularly amused by you inflicting this on later cachers with the entirely irrelevant justification that the cache didn't inspire you.

When I was a first year teacher at a high school we had a faculty meeting and the veteran teachers argued for about 45min. concerning some teacher's letting students chew gum while others did not. I found this kinda' amusing as anytime I walked down a hallway after a class change you could smell the odor of MJ floating around. Something about straining at a gnat and swallowing a camel comes to mind here as well.

That's OK, but just recognize that in most of these cases, what you're saying is "It's not worth my time to unroll the log sheet, so I'll make someone else do it, instead." I'm particularly amused by you inflicting this on later cachers with the entirely irrelevant justification that the cache didn't inspire you.

No, you're interpreting it that way. The cacher isn't saying anything, they're just signing the log.

No, you're interpreting it that way. The cacher isn't saying anything, they're just signing the log.

Whether he's conscious of it or not, the burden of unrolling the log -- that awful burden DanOCan wants so much to avoid -- doesn't go away, he's just foisted it on someone else.

Whether he's conscious of it or not, the burden of unrolling the log -- that awful burden DanOCan wants so much to avoid -- doesn't go away, he's just foisted it on someone else.

Heinous.

So I've recently (within the past year or two) noticed a few cachers who sign logs in random places. For example, signing in the middle of the back on a micro log sheet or a random page in a regular cache's notebook. They don't sign under everyone else's names. They also don't take the time to write the date. It's clear that they just want to sign and be done with it.

While they have technically found the cache and signed the log, I find it somewhat disrespectful that they don't sign under everyone else. The lack of a date also means that they could be logging it as found any time. If you take the time to find the cache, you can take the time to sign and date the log properly, in my opinion.

There are a few people in particular who almost always do this. Has anyone else experienced this? I've noticed it a lot more on other people's caches than my own (mostly because I don't often look at the logbooks of my own caches). If you're a CO there isn't really anything you can do other than a polite email, right?

I suspect it has something to do with qualifying for challenges.

I suspect it has something to do with mosquitoes.

I can see the mosquito thing if the person signs the end of the scroll instead of unwinding it to the proper spot. But if they unwind a scrolled log to place their signature halfway where others have already signed and not include a date makes me think it's done so they can log it with whatever date fills their grid.

I disagree. I believe if a geocacher is going to be dishonest with their find date on the e-log, they're going to be even if they use the correct date on the physical log.

Moreover, I often do not date the log sheet as I don't see the relevance. However, I do accurately date the e-log.

It's akin to some geocachers having hang-ups about signing the log themselves when in a group. I don't care who writes my username on the log, but I go out with folks who not only care about it, but insist on using their own colored ink.

Heinous.

Indeed. Unrolling a log is such a huge burden on the next cacher.