Signing logs in random places

So I've recently (within the past year or two) noticed a few cachers who sign logs in random places. For example, signing in the middle of the back on a micro log sheet or a random page in a regular cache's notebook. They don't sign under everyone else's names. They also don't take the time to write the date. It's clear that they just want to sign and be done with it.

While they have technically found the cache and signed the log, I find it somewhat disrespectful that they don't sign under everyone else. The lack of a date also means that they could be logging it as found any time. If you take the time to find the cache, you can take the time to sign and date the log properly, in my opinion.

There are a few people in particular who almost always do this. Has anyone else experienced this? I've noticed it a lot more on other people's caches than my own (mostly because I don't often look at the logbooks of my own caches). If you're a CO there isn't really anything you can do other than a polite email, right?

I'm not sure why it would matter to anyone other than the cache owner, and only then if they check their logs regularly and will have to work harder to match the paper logs up to the online logs. But really, the names are in the logbook. It shouldn't matter where they are, and it really doesn't matter if there's no date. A find is a find, no matter when it's dated.

I've had to log my name in logsheets at weird places many times, especially when the logsheet is full or there's many pages and it's confusing where the proper spot to log is. I'm not going to spend my time out in the field super analyzing it, and no, that doesn't make me a numbers hound or something. :D

I'm not sure why it would matter to anyone other than the cache owner, and only then if they check their logs regularly and will have to work harder to match the paper logs up to the online logs. But really, the names are in the logbook. It shouldn't matter where they are, and it really doesn't matter if there's no date. A find is a find, no matter when it's dated.

I've had to log my name in logsheets at weird places many times, especially when the logsheet is full or there's many pages and it's confusing where the proper spot to log is. I'm not going to spend my time out in the field super analyzing it, and no, that doesn't make me a numbers hound or something. :D

Add in factors like rain, low/high temperatures, wind, muggles, time constraints, etc. and you just can't worry about things like signing on the next available line...

While they have technically found the cache and signed the log, I find it somewhat disrespectful that they don't sign under everyone else. The lack of a date also means that they could be logging it as found any time. If you take the time to find the cache, you can take the time to sign and date the log properly, in my opinion.

I do this on power trail related finds.

If you think you get to spend your entire life NOT being disappointed then you're really going to be disappointed.

I think it is also disrespectful as the CO spent a lot of time setting up these caches and if you can't even sign it in a manner that doesn't make the CO have to come out and replace the log every 3 days because of people signing so nobody else can fit their name. I think that you should sign below and fill in the date just as a courtesy to the CO for setting up the cache. If you are going to play the game, play it right.

So I've recently (within the past year or two) noticed a few cachers who sign logs in random places. For example, signing in the middle of the back on a micro log sheet or a random page in a regular cache's notebook. They don't sign under everyone else's names. They also don't take the time to write the date. It's clear that they just want to sign and be done with it.

There are a few people in particular who almost always do this. Has anyone else experienced this? I've noticed it a lot more on other people's caches than my own (mostly because I don't often look at the logbooks of my own caches). If you're a CO there isn't really anything you can do other than a polite email, right?

I suspect it has something to do with qualifying for challenges.

I suspect it has something to do with mosquitoes.

I can see the mosquito thing if the person signs the end of the scroll instead of unwinding it to the proper spot. But if they unwind a scrolled log to place their signature halfway where others have already signed and not include a date makes me think it's done so they can log it with whatever date fills their grid.

I can see the mosquito thing if the person signs the end of the scroll instead of unwinding it to the proper spot. But if they unwind a scrolled log to place their signature halfway where others have already signed and not include a date makes me think it's done so they can log it with whatever date fills their grid.

It makes me think they found the cache and that I can't possibly surmise anything else about them from that.

It makes me think they found the cache and that I can't possibly surmise anything else about them from that.

Whatever, not that I care where someone puts their dateless signature but the OP's topic makes us wonder why people do that. I think challenge caches are one likely reason. Mosquitoes might be another.

You're probably right. It makes me sad to think that people cheat at a game that means nothing. It also makes me sad that I seem to care. I guess I just think people should be better people...

?

You're probably right. It makes me sad to think that people cheat at a game that means nothing. It also makes me sad that I seem to care. I guess I just think people should be better people...

Whose cheating? They've found the cache,they've signed the log. Job Done, that's all they are required to do. Date or not doesn't really matter and signing all over the log.... well at least they've signed THE log. Cache I found over the weekend was like a snake in a can with all the scraps of paper thrown in.

Thing is, the people who do this do it 90% of the time. Sun, cloud, rain, cold, warm, mosquitos, doesn't matter. For one in particular, it's his habit. Some of the locals even refer to signing the log in such a way as (his name)'ing the log.

You're right. I shouldn't care. And I don't really. But it's kind of like when people pass me on the highway doing 150 kph. It's improper, it's none of my business, and yet I wish someone would do something about it.

Whose cheating? They've found the cache,they've signed the log. Job Done, that's all they are required to do. Date or not doesn't really matter and signing all over the log.... well at least they've signed THE log. Cache I found over the weekend was like a snake in a can with all the scraps of paper thrown in.

Remember, the first thing you need to learn as a geocacher is that all other geocachers are disrespectful cheaters. Don't ever give anyone the benefit of the doubt. Everyone is your enemy. Geocachers are terrible people. Wait, why does anyone play this game?

Thing is, the people who do this do it 90% of the time. Sun, cloud, rain, cold, warm, mosquitos, doesn't matter. For one in particular, it's his habit. Some of the locals even refer to signing the log in such a way as (his name)'ing the log.

You're right. I shouldn't care. And I don't really. But it's kind of like when people pass me on the highway doing 150 kph. It's improper, it's none of my business, and yet I wish someone would do something about it.

So now you're keeping stats on other geocachers? Yikes.

Many challenge caches require finding certain caches each day for a number of days.

Improperly logging dates would be cheating on those challenges.

None of my business, I'm not the CO, but it's cheating. And it's unfair to those of us who do it properly.

Many challenge caches require finding certain caches each day for a number of days.

None of my business, I'm not the CO, but it's cheating. And it's unfair to those of us who do it properly.

I can go find a cache, backdate the paper log and backdate the online log, no difference.

I can go find a cache, backdate the paper log and backdate the online log, no difference.

Yes, you're absolutely right. And that would make you a cheater if you used that cache to fulfill a challenge requirement. Why go to such an effort to cheat on a game that means nothing? On the other hand, I'm starting to wonder why I care that others cheat on a game that means nothing.....

I guess it's just because it's mud in the face of those that do it right.

I think you've chosen the wrong issue. Perhaps you should be wondering why COs create challenges that are so fundamentally flawed that people can "cheat" it so easily.

Honestly, MOST challenges are easy to "cheat". With patience, one can do it virtually undetected since most COs don't bother to check the paper logs.

So with such a flawed system - basically an honor system - why worry about what part of the sheet of paper the cacher chooses to sign? Maybe you can exact your own small revenge on this individual and sign your name on top of his.

why worry about what part of the sheet of paper the cacher chooses to sign?

The reason is because if I write my name in a random spot across several lines on the back of the micro page, it prevents others from using that space. Eventually there will come a point where someone cannot sign because there is no space.

We live in a society. We aren't wild animals. It's not hard to sign the log properly. These people know better, they just choose to do it the lazy way. If everyone else can find the cache and do it right, so can they.

Maybe you can exact your own small revenge on this individual and sign your name on top of his.

Haha! Well said. Perhaps a better piece of revenge would be to erase it completely.

So with such a flawed system - basically an honor system - why worry about what part of the sheet of paper the cacher chooses to sign?

Looks like the "honor system" fails because of lack of honor.

It can be worse than signing just anywhere, some just put a pre-signed sticker in or on the cache, others just drop a business style card in the cache. Both are not "signing the log" of course.

I have never found a dry logbook that was so entirely full that I couldn't squeeze my name in somewhere.

Some people write in large letters. Some people use stamps. Some people scribble. Some people quickly jot their name in the middle for whatever reason.

Shouting in the forum that someone is a disrespectful cheater because their name is in the wrong place in a logbook is far, far worse.

Edited by narcissa

I would never wish cancer as I have experienced on any one but going through it sure helps to keep things in perspective. Sorry but how and where someone writes their name on a log just does not matter in my life. It is not a new phenomena, people have signed in random places for 14 years or more. When John Hancock signed the Declaration of Independence so big and in the middle did the other signers whine and moan about it.... no... they found another place to sign... life was good (and still is if you don't worry about trivial things) :rolleyes:

Edited by BruceS

Yes, you're absolutely right. And that would make you a cheater if you used that cache to fulfill a challenge requirement. Why go to such an effort to cheat on a game that means nothing? On the other hand, I'm starting to wonder why I care that others cheat on a game that means nothing.....

I guess it's just because it's mud in the face of those that do it right.

People who "cheat" should actually make people who do it "right" feel good. Rather than putting mud on their faces, they can know that they did it "right", and the other person did it "wrong".

Really, how other people play the game should have no affect on how you feel you're playing the game.

I would never wish cancer as I have experienced on any one but going through it sure helps to keep things in perspective. Sorry but how and where someone writes their name on a log just does not matter in my life. It is not a new phenomena, people have signed in random places for 14 years or more. When John Hancock signed the Declaration of Independence so big and in the middle did the other signers whine and moan about it.... no... they found another place to sign... life was good (and still is if you don't worry about trivial things) :rolleyes:

:-D

I often sign in random spots just out of convenience. I've never read anywhere in the guidelines that I should take the time to find the last log and make sure mine is snugly under that one. I have wondered if anyone cares. (Now I know)

Also, because my work schedule is so weird I often don't know what the date is when I'm out caching, so I often get it wrong. I don't do those challenge caches people are talking about so I don't really need to know what day it is. I find caches. I sign the logs. I post it online. That's about it...

When John Hancock signed the Declaration of Independence so big and in the middle did the other signers whine and moan about it.... no... they found another place to sign... life was good (and still is if you don't worry about trivial things) :rolleyes:

I am STILL upset at Hancock because of that!:mad:

I have noticed more of this lately. Typically it's people stamping, so they just stamp near the end instead of bothering to stamp at the end and, of course, since they're stamping, they never date. I see a few people in my area do this occasionally, but I see one stamp this way just about every time I see a new cache. I'm not going to name names, but if we went through a list of cachers we all know about, this name would come up first.

While it's true that it's not something to lose sleep over, I still appreciate people trying to keep the log tidy just in case someone wants to use it as, say, a log. Sometimes I want to work out who was at a cache when for various reasons, and out of position signatures and signatures without dates can make this confusing. So I don't want the idea that it's OK to sign wherever you want to become the standard, although I don't really see it often enough now to be a serious problem.

When John Hancock signed the Declaration of Independence so big and in the middle did the other signers whine and moan about it.... no... they found another place to sign...
Well, if the musical 1776 is to be believed, they did rib him a bit:

Hopkins: That's quite a large signature, Johnny.

Hancock: So fat George can read it in London without his reading glasses!

But personally, I write both my name and the date when I sign logs. Although I sometimes get the date wrong on the paper log (but not on the online log, because that's handled automatically by my app). And I sometimes sign an informal team name instead of my own name. Or someone else in the group signs an informal team name. Or the existing log is full/unsignable, so I leave an extra one and sign that. Or...

I often don't know what the date is when I'm out caching, so I often get it wrong.

I almost always have to refer to my phone to see what the date actually is. That or I try to remember what the date was on the previous Friday and count forward from that. There are more than a few caches out there that I have signed with the wrong date. It's only caused a minor disturbance in the force.

We've experienced a lot worse: signing/stamping on the outside of a beautifully made logbook (while there was lots of empty pages inside), placing stickers on a small log paper instead of writing a name so taking up logspace of at least 6 cachers, so making CO's having to replace logs more often. Putting stickers on the outside of the container, since it was too much of an effort to open it as it would result in less finds per day. Placing extra paper with their stamp in the cache instead of signing the original log book. And even placing stickers on trees, traffic signs etc when a cache was missing.

So yes it is clear that this type of "geocachers" just want to sign and be done with it, but there is nothing you can do about it. Don't bother sending a polite e-mail, because you will only get the "I've written my name on a log in the cache so my log is valid" -answer (if any), maybe even with a threat if you consider even thinking about deleting the log since you are not allowed.

I almost never put the date as I have no idea what the date is most times. I usually know the year and month, but never the day. I don't do streaks or challenges, so I have no interest in the actual date I found it.

Often logbooks are torn up a bit over time, random loose sheets fall out of the books, or there are already random signatures it's often hard to find where to sign. I won't spend a lot of effort on that.

I almost never put the date as I have no idea what the date is most times. I usually know the year and month, but never the day. I don't do streaks or challenges, so I have no interest in the actual date I found it.

Often logbooks are torn up a bit over time, random loose sheets fall out of the books, or there are already random signatures it's often hard to find where to sign. I won't spend a lot of effort on that.

There's an oldie on Stone Mountain that has five log books inside, all jammed up with signatures. I wasn't even about to try to figure out if there was an order, so I just signed in the first white space I saw.

When John Hancock signed the Declaration of Independence so big and in the middle did the other signers whine and moan about it.... no... they found another place to sign... life was good (and still is if you don't worry about trivial things) :rolleyes:

I am STILL upset at Hancock because of that!:mad:

That big signature made John Hancock famous. As has been the case through history, size matters. :ph34r:

There's an oldie on Stone Mountain that has five log books inside, all jammed up with signatures. I wasn't even about to try to figure out if there was an order, so I just signed in the first white space I saw.

Careful - 4 of those 5 logbooks are decoys! The CO deletes 80% of all "found" logs. :ph34r:

I have no idea what the date is most times. I usually know the year and month, but never the day.

Uh...if you're falling in the hands of a paramedic this alone will lower your points on the coma scale by one. Beware! The rule is: "below eight, intubate." :D

If you're a paramedic be sure you know the day yourself before asking the patient. Those discussions can be awkward... (BTDT). ;)

I have no idea what the date is most times. I usually know the year and month, but never the day.

Uh...if you're falling in the hands of a paramedic this alone will lower your points on the coma scale by one. Beware! The rule is: "below eight, intubate." :D

If you're a paramedic be sure you know the day yourself before asking the patient. Those discussions can be awkward... (BTDT). ;)

Yet another reason to become a smartphone cacher!

Oh, and always know the name of the vice president. ... It's Quale, isn't it?

;)

Yet another reason to become a smartphone cacher!

Same as for using computer pads in emergency medicine. :D

Oh, and always know the name of the vice president. ... It's Quale, isn't it?

Usually we ask (for basic conciousness level check) just about "person", "day/date", "place" and "situation (how dit it happen)". Don't want to judge if knowing the vice president counts as being concious or not - may depend on political preferences of both, the patient's and the medic's. :D

EDIT: actually, "person", "day/date", "place" and "situation (how dit it happen)" is a fine rule to write geocaching logs. Just identified the similarity... 8)

Edited by Ben0w

Well, I have to say that the one person you aren't signing the log for is yourself. So if your only excuse is that you don't know the date, stop being lazy and look up the date before you head out so the people that actually look at your signature in the log book can tell when you were there.

Sure. I'm not worried about what you do in the logs that are already confused; I'm only worried about the ones you make confused.

Oh, by the way, the OP is talking about caches with log sheets, but this reminds me that I do regularly is close a logbook when it has an outside cover, I don't leave it open to the page I signed even if that's the way I found it.

Well, I have to say that the one person you aren't signing the log for is yourself. So if your only excuse is that you don't know the date, stop being lazy and look up the date before you head out so the people that actually look at your signature in the log book can tell when you were there.

Yikes.

Edited by narcissa

Yikes.

The date is not relevant to anybody looking at the logbook. The date is online. There is no requirement to date or time the log. Would you suggest the date has to follow a specific format too?