Bike caching - Some Observations

I enjoy using my bike to hunt caches along trails. I get to combine trail riding with caching and stopping for caches gives me a chance to rest from time to time. Riding is usually faster than than walking, especially on an out-and-back trail.

Yesterday, I went bike caching in the Southern California hill. Except for one stretch of about half a mile, where it was hike-a-bike, the trail was pretty easy and a lot of fun. The cache stops were always a welcome opportunity to rest.

One big issue for me was caches that required walking across a field of brush. Clothing that's good for riding isn't so good for bushwhacking. I was constantly picking foxtails out of my socks. I skipped many caches that required bushwhacking. The funny thing, though, was that the caches could easily have been hidden close to the trail without much risk of being muggled.

I noticed that sometimes, it is easier to find a cache hidden in a SPOR than to find one under a single rock. The SPOR is a giveaway.

I found that I was best to give myself a time limit on each cache. If I couldn't find it in a few minutes, I'd move on. There were lots of caches and the time was better spent seeking those. As the day went on, I found I was giving myself less time before giving up. It was a combination of fatigue and frustration.

One thing we'll do now on the rare time we'll go bike caching (around here, bike and/or rails-to-trails are often numbers runs) is if there's no loop and we're simply headed up and back, we'll do every-other-one.

- We don't have to stop the bikes every 500+', and grab the other half on the way back. :)

One thing we'll do now on the rare time we'll go bike caching (around here, bike and/or rails-to-trails are often numbers runs) is if there's no loop and we're simply headed up and back, we'll do every-other-one.

- We don't have to stop the bikes every 500+', and grab the other half on the way back. :)

We'll do the every other cache on a long walk through the gamelands too here in PA. That way the walk back out isn't just drudgery. It sure helps keep you motivated.

I skipped many caches that required bushwhacking. The funny thing, though, was that the caches could easily have been hidden close to the trail without much risk of being muggled.

Maybe the cache owners had other criteria in mind when selecting a cache location.

Try using REI desert gaiters that cover your socks and most of your shoe/boots. And their convertable pants that you can zip off/on without removing your boots. I use low top light boots when off road biking because I am walking it up all the steep hills. (Watch for the goat head thorns here in So. Cal.)

I just completed a 480 mile bike trip from Williamsport MD to Pittsburgh PA and back geocaching along the way, probably with over 100 finds which I haven't logged yet, just getting back. I love geocaching by bike and even have my bicycle as a trackable. Doing a power trail via bicycle is a much different experience then doing one via a car.

My goal is usually going for a walk (I'm hoping to start bike caching soon), and I look for caches to find along the trail. So I do all of the caches at once, so I can be free to walk the rest of the time.

This is my feeling as well, and in addition, I've been amazed how many times I unexpectedly find a different way to come back, giving me another good reason not to skip any on the way out.

Geocaching isn't very cardiovascular!

I don't know about that. I find I get sweatiest while I'm searching for those pesky hides.

My goal is usually going for a walk (I'm hoping to start bike caching soon), and I look for caches to find along the trail. So I do all of the caches at once, so I can be free to walk the rest of the time.

This is my feeling as well, and in addition, I've been amazed how many times I unexpectedly find a different way to come back, giving me another good reason not to skip any on the way out.

Geocaching isn't very cardiovascular!

I don't know about that. I find I get sweatiest while I'm searching for those pesky hides.

This is true. You never know if you're going to come back the same way. I've learned to do things that I want to do at the time, not later - and that translates to a lot of things in life, not just geocaching.

I don't usually get exercise looking for the cache itself. I usually stand around and take pictures and complain about how hard it is to find and let others do it. :laughing: If it's just me, I get a bit more exercise, but I'm still complaining to myself. :rolleyes:

When we go caching , including bicycle, we dress for worst case. Still I'll say, " its an easy one right next to that ball field " and go in without my hat and hiking stick.....usually leaving the car without a hiking stick is always a mistake and I need to figure out how to take one on my bike.

Try using REI desert gaiters that cover your socks and most of your shoe/boots. And their convertable pants that you can zip off/on without removing your boots. I use low top light boots when off road biking because I am walking it up all the steep hills. (Watch for the goat head thorns here in So. Cal.)

1. Go with tubeless tires and you can ignore goat heads.

2. I'm near LAX, do you want to get together to bike-cache some time?

I skipped many caches that required bushwhacking. The funny thing, though, was that the caches could easily have been hidden close to the trail without much risk of being muggled.

Maybe the cache owners had other criteria in mind when selecting a cache location.

There were in or under a random tree or bush. There was no reason for the specific spot.

There were in or under a random tree or bush. There was no reason for the specific spot.

Maybe the cache owners had other criteria in mind when selecting a cache location. Making a cache convenient for cyclists would not be a priority for me under any circumstances.

I try and place my caches so that they can be found easily, but still hidden from casual view.