Etrex 10 help

I have a Garmin Etrex 10 and I was adding caches for my next couple of outings maybe 30 or 40 caches. I don't have any waypoints or old caches saved on the unit. after I finished adding all the ones I wanted I looked on the cache list on the GPS and they all weren't there. so I went back and re added the ones that were not there and they all said that the cache info was already on the GPS but I re added them any way. I checked again and they still didn't all get added to the list and in fact some did get added and others that were there before were gone. There is about 20 total that will show up on my GPS. My question is how many can the Etrex 10 hold and how can I get the ones that don't show up on the list so I can find them. Thanks.

If I'm not mistaken, there is a distance limit doing it that way. Do the "missing" caches appear on the map?

To answer your question, Garmin says the e10 will hold 2000 geocaches and 500 GPX files. I suspect those limits are optimistic and the real limit is something less but it sounds like you are a long way from those limits. Perhaps.

Several questions:

Do you see the GPX files on the GPS when it is connected to your computer?

Are they in the [garmin_drive]/Garmin/GPX folder?

Are there any LOC files in the GPX folder?

Are you connecting the GPS to a Mac or PC?

If is is a Mac, did you empty the trash while the GPS was connected to the Mac?

Are you downloading individual caches or are you using Pocket Queries?

As you can see, we need a little bit more information.

Im using a pc

Downloading individual caches

Not sure what kind of file I just click on the cash I want and then hit send to my GPS

When it is connected to my computer they are all there

And I did check under waypoints and nothing in there.

Nothing showed up on the map either all the cash is that I'm looking for are all within a 5 km area of where I am

If I'm not mistaken, there is a distance limit doing it that way. Do the "missing" caches appear on the map?

To answer your question, Garmin says the e10 will hold 2000 geocaches and 500 GPX files. I suspect those limits are optimistic and the real limit is something less but it sounds like you are a long way from those limits. Perhaps.

Thats not what I meant. Most searches and lists from the etrex will only go out so many miles. Caches should still appear on the map. I never thought he was at the cache limit for his unit.

Thats not what I meant. Most searches and lists from the etrex will only go out so many miles. Caches should still appear on the map. I never thought he was at the cache limit for his unit.

My error. I intended to just add a comment and instead posted it as a reply to your message, which was very clearly stated.

The Etrex unit itself will only show caches that are close to your current location. It may be useful to download Garmin's Basecamp software to your PC. You can then connect your GPS to your computer and you can see clearly on a basic map where the caches are.

Alternatively, switch on the unit go to "where to" then "geocaches" then press the menu button, select spell search and the see if you can find one of the geocaches that you think are on the unit but you can't see.

I go to "where to" then "geocaches" then the list of caches comes up

The caches are loaded, just not appearing on the map.

Are the caches near your current location? If no, you may have to scroll the map to see them. Since the Etrex 10 is not a mapping GPS, this may be be difficult since there won't be any base map to reference what you're looking at.

There is nothing showing on the map. I do have base camp and everything shows up on there. All the caches are within 5km of my home. Spell search did work but is there a way to have them all show up on one list?

It also seems that it won't show anythig farther than 2km away. Is there away to change this setting?

Edited by thunder_struck

There is nothing showing on the map. I do have base camp and everything shows up on there. All the caches are within 5km of my home. Spell search did work but is there a way to have them all show up on one list?

It also seems that it won't show anythig farther than 2km away. Is there away to change this setting?

There is no setting that I know of that will limit the display to those within 2km.

You only have one list, so what do you mean when you say "have them all show up on one list?"

You do not directly answer questions so it is hard to help you. I asked if you tried zooming in and out on the map screen but you did not answer. Did you try it?

Please give us the GC number of two or three of the caches that are 1)within 5km of you, and 2)are in Basecamp and 3)are in the GPS and 4)you do not see on the map.

It's possible they don't show up on the map because he has to zoom out to a level beyond which the geocaches are being displayed. I'm not sure how customizable the eTrex 10 is, but you might find something under settings > map for map detail levels. On mapping models, you can set the level of detail to limit what shows on the map at a given zoom level. On the most recent models, you can even customize the maximum zoom that geocaches will appear. But as the eTrex 10 is a non-mapping unit, and I've never used one, I can't say what level of customization is there (hint: play with your settings). If it's anything like my Oregon 600, the default settings make geocaches disappear way too soon while zooming out.

It's possible they don't show up on the map because he has to zoom out to a level beyond which the geocaches are being displayed. I'm not sure how customizable the eTrex 10 is, but you might find something under settings > map for map detail levels. On mapping models, you can set the level of detail to limit what shows on the map at a given zoom level. On the most recent models, you can even customize the maximum zoom that geocaches will appear. But as the eTrex 10 is a non-mapping unit, and I've never used one, I can't say what level of customization is there (hint: play with your settings). If it's anything like my Oregon 600, the default settings make geocaches disappear way too soon while zooming out.

With default settings on my e20 I see caches when I zoom out to 3 mi on the scale, which means the screen is ~12 miles wide. One more step out and the caches disappear. So certainly caches within 5km should show on the screen.

I'm not sure what you mean by a mapping GPS. The e10 has a map and displays caches on the map and the user can zoom in and out. I agree the base map, which is the only option on the e10, is useless for all practical purposes. I don't mean to quibble but I think saying it isn't a mapping GPS may confuse the already frustrated beginner with the unit.

If you find it when you do a spell search then it is on the unit but you won't see it on the map until you are closer by. I don't believe there is a way to change that setting or get them to all show up on the list.

One of the limitations of the 10 and why, if you read the forums most say (including us) that the 20 is better.

If you find it when you do a spell search then it is on the unit but you won't see it on the map until you are closer by. I don't believe there is a way to change that setting or get them to all show up on the list.

One of the limitations of the 10 and why, if you read the forums most say (including us) that the 20 is better.

He said the caches he cannot see are within 5 km (~3 mi). The e10 has many deficiencies but I don't think not showing a cache 3 miles away is one of them.

He said the caches he cannot see are within 5 km (~3 mi). The e10 has many deficiencies but I don't think not showing a cache 3 miles away is one of them.

When we used one it only used to show the closest 10/20 caches on the list if you hit "where to" then "geocaches" and then it would only show those on the map even if you scrolled around the map to get further away. Maybe we were also doing something wrong...........

With default settings on my e20 I see caches when I zoom out to 3 mi on the scale, which means the screen is ~12 miles wide. One more step out and the caches disappear. So certainly caches within 5km should show on the screen.

I'm not sure what you mean by a mapping GPS. The e10 has a map and displays caches on the map and the user can zoom in and out. I agree the base map, which is the only option on the e10, is useless for all practical purposes. I don't mean to quibble but I think saying it isn't a mapping GPS may confuse the already frustrated beginner with the unit.

I'm assuming that the "Basemap" on the eTrex 10 is the same "basemap" on the very old GPS60 (not the GPSMAP60), which includes some major towns and cities, and maybe coastline, but otherwise, there is no real basemap.

When we used one it only used to show the closest 10/20 caches on the list if you hit "where to" then "geocaches" and then it would only show those on the map even if you scrolled around the map to get further away. Maybe we were also doing something wrong...........

I tested this on my E10 and it listed up to 100 before I stopped counting. I also thought that it only showed a few on the list but perhaps there been a recent software update?