Intro app now used GPS all the time?

Usually the intro app only uses GPS when the "start" button is pressed. This gives a blue line across the top of the screen (from anywhere on the iPhone) that says Geocaching is using the GPS. Now however, the app only needs to be open for that to happen.

I would like for the app to only have access to my location when I am using it, in order to conserve battery. Has this changed in a recent update?

Cheers,

Mark

Usually the intro app only uses GPS when the "start" button is pressed. This gives a blue line across the top of the screen (from anywhere on the iPhone) that says Geocaching is using the GPS. Now however, the app only needs to be open for that to happen.

I would like for the app to only have access to my location when I am using it, in order to conserve battery. Has this changed in a recent update?

Cheers,

Mark

The way it should work is that background location monitoring should only be active if you are navigating to a geocache (press the start button) and then it should automatically stop monitoring after 15 minutes of inactivity (activity is defined as opening the app in the foreground). This is to allow the app to send a close to cache notification when the app is in the background. If you are seeing the blue bar in any other cases, that is a bug that we'll need to fix. It sounds like you may be seeing this when not navigating to a cache. Let me know if this is happening so we can track down the issue.

As the other response mentions, you can work around the issue by changing the permissions for the app to only allow location updates when the app is in the foreground. The only things this will disable are the close to cache notification I mentioned and apple watch functionality, which needs background location (but only while the apple watch app is active).

Thanks!

Casey

Hi Casey,

Thanks for your reply. That is what is happening – in fact I don't even need to "start" looking for a cache, the blue bar appears when the app is launched, and does not go away until I manually close it in the app switcher view. This happens regardless of whether I am looking for a cache or not.

The location setting is set to "Only while using" which is what I think you're referring to. I'm not really happy to let the app use my location "always" (which is the other option. Setting it to this makes the blue bar go away, but again I'd rather it wasn't using my GPS constantly :) ).

It was working fine until a few days ago, so maybe a recent update has changed this? If it's any help I'm using an iPhone 6 Plus with the latest version of iOS.

Cheers,

Mark

Yep, it looks like something got broke in the recent update. We'll take a look and it should be fixed in the next release, which should be available in the near future. We definitely don't want the app needlessly draining the battery, so fixing this is a high priority. Thanks for letting us know about this!