Too Bad...

Chuck E. Mong

I'll never understand why a site that works fine has to make the members upgrade all the time. If I'm happy with a machine that runs and was designed to run on Windows XP why should I have to run out and buy one designed to run on Windows 7 or 8 or 9 or 10 or try to make the old machine jump through the hoops to keep up? Everything after Internet Explorer 7 just gets worse and worse. I can't wait to see what "must have" features you'll be pushing for when Windows 79 comes out. I wonder if they'll change to a letter format when they get back to Windows 95. I haven't done anything with Geocaching for a while and kind of bugs me that now that I try to do anything my computer can't find the Garmin or Magellan communicators that were fine last year. I guess everyone is expected to buy the latest phone or tablet or iCrap watch in order to participate. B)

If I'm happy with a machine that runs and was designed to run on Windows XP why should I have to run out and buy one designed to run on Windows 7 or 8 or 9 or 10 or try to make the old machine jump through the hoops to keep up? Everything after Internet Explorer 7 just gets worse and worse.

I hope you will at least keep antivirus and firewall software up-to-date as your XP + IE7 is no longer secure. Remember there are no more updates for XP. In Belgium you would have a hard time doing your internetbanking as there are no more banks that allow you to use XP (with good reason). Besides, you could always look at Linux for a free OS + loads of free software. Your "old" PC will even run very smooth with it. Of course, you may not always find the software you are used to.

For the time being, install Firefox, get the greasemonkey plugin and look for Greasmonkeyscripts that enhance gc.com. You'll never look back B)

If I'm happy with a machine that runs and was designed to run on Windows XP why should I have to run out and buy one designed to run on Windows 7 or 8 or 9 or 10 or try to make the old machine jump through the hoops to keep up? Everything after Internet Explorer 7 just gets worse and worse.

I hope you will at least keep antivirus and firewall software up-to-date as your XP + IE7 is no longer secure. Remember there are no more updates for XP. In Belgium you would have a hard time doing your internetbanking as there are no more banks that allow you to use XP (with good reason). Besides, you could always look at Linux for a free OS + loads of free software. Your "old" PC will even run very smooth with it. Of course, you may not always find the software you are used to

Do you know any waypoint managers that will run on Linux? GSAK won't. Neither will Basecamp.

Actually after reading another thread I discovered that GSAK *will* run Using Virtualbox with a Windows XP virtual machine. Oddly enough, I run Virtual box on a PC I use for development, and run an instance of Linux in it.

Edited by NYPaddleCacher

It's the giants that push these upgrades by releasing browsers, updates etc which break existing software, sites etc. And then when the said giants stop providing support for those browsers etc that work, continuing to use them introduces vulnerabilities. I previously worked for a software development company where this occurred on a regular basis. Unfortunately most of our corporate clients wouldn't/couldn't run Linux or even permit Firefox, thus forcing my employer to continually upgrade their software so it would keep working.

Obviously frustrating for us home-based end users to be forced into the new tech if we are not ready.

Obviously frustrating for us home-based end users to be forced into the new tech if we are not ready.

Not ready? EoL for XP was announced well in advance giving everybody the time to think about what to do (W7, W8, Linux...). Anyone running XP at this time better think about online security. There's a reason banks over here don't allow XP computers for internetbanking anymore.

Funny thing, after the XP ban banks were still using XP on their ATM's :lol:

Edited by on4bam

Not ready? EoL for XP was announced well in advance giving everybody the time to think about what to do (W7, W8, Linux...). Anyone running XP at this time better thing about online security. There's a reason banks over here don't allow XP computers for internetbanking anymore.

Funny thing, after the XP ban banks were still using XP on their ATM's :lol:

on4bam - I'm with you. I'm actually an early adopter so was being generic and inclusive in my reference to "us home-based end users".

Relevance? A web site designer, if they're at all interested in any relationship with those that use a site, must cater to the needs of their audience. Whether XP is still supported IS irrelevant. It's still a bigger share of the market than OSX, and heaven help us all of a designer drops support for Safari :rolleyes:

Relevance? A web site designer, if they're at all interested in any relationship with those that use a site, must cater to the needs of their audience. Whether XP is still supported IS irrelevant. It's still a bigger share of the market than OSX, and heaven help us all of a designer drops support for Safari :rolleyes:

Relevance? Well...YOU are the one that brought up the installed base of XP. I thought it was relevant because that number can only go down.

The world moves on, without my consent or permission, or yours. As long as you are happy inside a sealed room, not communicating with anyone or anything outside, you can keep on running what software you want ... until the hardware breaks. But if you want anything from outside, you have to move on to continue communicating.

There's a lot of it I don't like either. As others have pointed out, the latest Firefox still runs on old OSs. But as for the OS, I might tolerate Win7, but I've looked at Win8 and read about Win10, and I'm thinking my next OS might be Linux ... or some combination of OSs using VMware. I don't like the choices, but the world is moving on.

Edward