Cruise to Alaska

patsu

Taking cruise to Alaska and I will be at these ports for a day.

Anchorage

Fairbanks

Seward

Haines

Juneau

Ketchikan

Vancouver

I have done PQ for all of the Ports, so if any one can give me some tips for caching in these I would appreciate it.

Thanks and cache on.

I have done PQ for all of the Ports, so if any one can give me some tips for caching in these I would appreciate it.

Thanks and cache on.

We did some caching when we made an Alaska cruise a few years back... and it was pretty much like caching anywhere else, except in the more touristy areas there was a massive muggle factor. (Mostly other tourists, so you won't stand out in that respect.) There can also be a lot of cachers, when we did the cache right off the piers in Skagway (which appears to be archived now), it was practically like a cache machine - a steady stream of cachers on their way to and from the cache.

Also, how are you going to log? Cell coverage can be (or at least was) spotty and data coverage was worse, the ship's data rates were frighteningly expensive... So, either plan on keeping your (electronic) logs until you get home, or keep paper logs until you get home.

Another thing to keep in mind is time, distance, and transportation - can you find the cache, obtain transport, and make it back to the boat in time? They won't wait for you, and they will leave you behind.

Thanks and cache on.

We did some caching when we made an Alaska cruise a few years back... and it was pretty much like caching anywhere else, except in the more touristy areas there was a massive muggle factor. (Mostly other tourists, so you won't stand out in that respect.) There can also be a lot of cachers, when we did the cache right off the piers in Skagway (which appears to be archived now), it was practically like a cache machine - a steady stream of cachers on their way to and from the cache.

Also, how are you going to log? Cell coverage can be (or at least was) spotty and data coverage was worse, the ship's data rates were frighteningly expensive... So, either plan on keeping your (electronic) logs until you get home, or keep paper logs until you get home.

Another thing to keep in mind is time, distance, and transportation - can you find the cache, obtain transport, and make it back to the boat in time? They won't wait for you, and they will leave you behind.

Thanks for the Info Elde

We did a cruise to Alaska last June. We had stops in Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, and Victoria. So somewhat different stops that you will have, but I found a few bookmark lists that I used to help me cull down the caches I wanted to stop at. In Skagway, we rented a car and drove to Emerald Lake and back. So if you're in port for quite a bit of time, that's an option.

It sounds like you are doing a cruisetour before your cruise. How are you getting between Anchorage & Fairbanks? Bus or train. Are you stopping at Denali?

How long will you have in Anchorage and what hotel are you at?

Yes it's cruisetour.

I'll be going to Denali by train for 3 nights then by bus to Fairbanks. In Anchorage I will be staying at Westmark and have a day when I arrive.

I found that a lot can depend on timing. When I was in Juneau, I found A Tribute to Patsy Ann, which is right on the docks. I was lagging behind the crowd for our ship to deboard, so when I got to the dock, there were only a handful of people milling around. It was easy to slip in and make the grab. It wasn't a few minutes later that another cruise ship got into port and suddenly, there was another 1000 people streaming past the location.

If you get away from the tourist traps in port, you'll probably find that caching is pretty much the same as anywhere else in terms of people around.

Yes it's cruisetour.

I'll be going to Denali by train for 3 nights then by bus to Fairbanks. In Anchorage I will be staying at Westmark and have a day when I arrive.

The Westmark is in downtown Anchorage. There's several caches around. Actually, looking at the list, there's quite a few I haven't done yet... Looks like I need to plan some caching the next time I get into town...

In Denali, I'm guessing you'll be staying in Glitter Gulch. There's a couple of caches there along the walking path. There's several earthcaches in the park entrance area.