Canada's Coolest Caches

DarkFlare

I noticed Canada's forum is looking a little bare so I want to change that but starting up a conversation.

I want to see the coolest caches from coast to coast. Show me your biggest, hardest, most cleaver, or most memorable finds that you have come across in your experience. Caches that truly deserve those favourite points. If you want, post a couple pictures or give us the GC codes! I want to find more caches outside my hometown and would love suggestions for when I eventually come to your city or province. I'll even post a couple favourites from the GTA.

We're a big country with tons of caches to discover! :D

I'd like to start the ball rolling with my favourite Virtual I have ever found in my geocaching career because it taught me something really neat about the city I grew up beside.

With 370 favourite points and counting, it's probably the most popular cache in Toronto and I specifically saved it for my 1000th find. It's The Old City Hall Message by Nozzletime http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC6069_the-old-city-hall-message

9561ba48-4afb-4a1b-97b7-c891551e2588_l.jpg

The Old City Hall message takes you on a unique hunt at one of Toronto's oldest and most beautiful buildings. I had passed this building many times and never realized there was a hidden message emblazoned across the length of the building in giant letters. Without giving away the message itself, you have to start at the northeast corner of old city hall and follow it around three sides of the building, collecting up information along the way until suddenly you have the answer right in front of you. The cache description helps to fill in the rest of the gaps as to why the message exists.

If you're ever in downtown Toronto and do only one cache, I highly recommend that you make it this one :D

a21189d1-25cb-43fd-8b27-8783247d0392.jpg

Edited by DarkFlare

GCBBA Geocache--Canada's 1st geocache Cache name says it all.

GC3Q8YA Don't break the water Interesting trip into an out-of-the-way town.

GC6C0A First Post - St John's Great series! Too bad most of them are gone.

GC1GQZE St. John's Harbour Loved it!

GC23G15 Les secrets de la marmite ! The kettle’s secrets ! Great EarthCache!

GCH14M Ya Gotta Smile for the Camera Toss in a WebCam!

I'll look for more when I get the time.

GC1BTZC Stumped? along the Trans Canada Highway near the Ontario/Manitoba border.

Stumped?

I first came across this site accidently, while on a trip from Regina to NW Ontario. (I live in Yukon). We had a blast trying to figure out what it was and why it was. About a year later, it occurred to me that someone must have placed a cache there, and my instinct was right. Read the writeup, learned the history of the site and left a note. Less than 3 weeks later I ended up driving by the area again, on a last minute trip, and was able to find the cache. Anyway, kinda a freaky thing to randomly find.

We visited eastern Canada last summer. Of the 40 odd caches we found I think my favourite was a mouse hunt in Charlottetown PEI - a multi that does what urban multis should do - http://coord.info/GC2K9E3

I also very much liked the Cape d'Or earthcache - http://coord.info/GC1YTX1. Perfect lunch spot by the way - and one that deserves to be visited more often although it is somewhat off the beaten track I guess.

And in Toronto a mystery cache at the market was great - although it seems to have gone premium only now - http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC58Q8E_to-market-to-market-to-find-a-fat-cache

I have previously attempted the old City Hall virtual in Toronto but it was a gazillion degrees that day and every time I tipped my head back to look up I got dizzy...not a great geocaching day, sigh. I'll be back again this summer and will do it then. I'm always on the lookout for peoples recommendations when I trvel so Hopefully there will be a few more contributions before this thread gets buried

I have previously attempted the old City Hall virtual in Toronto but it was a gazillion degrees that day and every time I tipped my head back to look up I got dizzy...not a great geocaching day, sigh. I'll be back again this summer and will do it then. I'm always on the lookout for peoples recommendations when I trvel so Hopefully there will be a few more contributions before this thread gets buried

I'd have liked to head out to the islands south of Toronto last summer but, for various reasons, we never got there. There look to be some really nice caches out there.

I'd have liked to head out to the islands south of Toronto last summer but, for various reasons, we never got there. There look to be some really nice caches out there.

Tru dat. There's a nice range of D/T out there, including a 5/5 what was my sister's first FTF (and the first time she paddled). Even after she told me exactly how to solve it, I couldn't figure it out.

A list: Toronto Island Caches

Meanwhile, I had to do the virtual mentioned by the OP on St Patrick's day when I knew everyone would be facing the parade on the street, instead of watching me and wondering what was up with the binoculars.

Many of the caches around Niagara Falls are cool but if you are there, it is worth the trip to check out the nearby Haunted Blue Ghost Tunnel

If you are in our nation's capital, there's an excellent webcam on Parliament Hill called Wave The Flag

I haven't been to Center Island in about 40 years..hard to believe. I even had to look up where the ferry left from. I expect I'll find a few changes, no? I'm going to plan caching over there on my visit this year. For me that's more fun than urban caches, tho I suspect there's going to be a lot more people around than I'm envisioning :blink:

Thanks for this thread and the idea!