Corrected coordinates

Abused

Why wont the geocaches with corrected coordinates show up WITH the corrected coordinates on map ? I know you can make PQs and stuff, but what is stopping Groundspeak from implementing this in the "big" map. This is so annoying.

I have a new simple idea for this: instead of modifying the position of caches with corrected coords on the map (which would involve a fair amount of calculation) why not just tag them with a different color, as is already done for found and disabled caches? That puts no significant additional strain on the server (since it is already querying per-user for found caches) and would be immensely helpful; if I need to see where the corrected coords are, I can always just open the cache page.

Actually, if you edit the puzzle cache coordinates then the cache will be shown on updated coordinates on the map. It does already work, just did it and tested it. This however seems to work only if you do a search and click "map these results". Clicking the "Clear search filters" button on the map seems to move the cache back to it's original location and ignore the edited coordinates. This is something I would want to have fixed or changed, it would be nice if the cache with edited coordinates would show on edited coordinates always when using a map, not only after doing a search and pressing "map these results".

Also even more I would want to have the caches with edited coordinates differentiated from those not edited in the search results and especially at the map. It would be great if by looking at the map I could immediately see the puzzles I have already solved but not yet found (edited the coordinates) versus those that still need to be solved. I would want to suggest different coloring for caches with edited coordinates as opposed to ones with original bogus coordinates, ie. the icon background on the map could be green instead of white for example or some other small difference. Should be simple enough and help greatly in seeing directly from the map (or search results) what mysteries are already solved and what not. This should be implemented to all cache types white you are at it, it would be great! Thanks.

Edited by mitait

In the search Result you can already differenciate them, but it would be really nice if you could differenciate them also on the map, because I use mostly the map to look for caches. If the caches with corrected coordinates would be marked somehow on the map, I wouldn't have to check whether this is a solved mystery, etc., which is always annoying, especially if you are in a slow public wifi.

I have a new simple idea for this: instead of modifying the position of caches with corrected coords on the map (which would involve a fair amount of calculation) why not just tag them with a different color, as is already done for found and disabled caches? That puts no significant additional strain on the server (since it is already querying per-user for found caches) and would be immensely helpful; if I need to see where the corrected coords are, I can always just open the cache page.

I like the idea, but since I never use the corrected coordinates feature, I'd rather it be based on an independent checkbox that's automatically checked by setting the coordinates. That way I could use it for whatever I wanted if I didn't want to use it for the corrected coordinates.

Personally, I'd find it more useful if the automatic color change was based on whether there's a personal note on the cache.

I like the idea, but since I never use the corrected coordinates feature, I'd rather it be based on an independent checkbox that's automatically checked by setting the coordinates. That way I could use it for whatever I wanted if I didn't want to use it for the corrected coordinates.

Personally, I'd find it more useful if the automatic color change was based on whether there's a personal note on the cache.

I use the corrected coordinates *and* personal notes features quite a bit. It seems to me that tagging caches with a different color could be done for both features. Another option would be to annotate the icon with a small "C" and/or "P" could indicate that the cache has either corrected coordinates, a personal note, or both.

If the default behavior was to show caches with corrected coordinates using the corrected location on the map it would probably result in a lot of people complaining about geoart on the maps getting messed up.

I use the corrected coordinates *and* personal notes features quite a bit. It seems to me that tagging caches with a different color could be done for both features. Another option would be to annotate the icon with a small "C" and/or "P" could indicate that the cache has either corrected coordinates, a personal note, or both.

Since I keep my corrected coordinates and notes in GSAK I already see mysteries with corrected coordinates at their actual location on the map. On top of that they have their own icon so it's easy to see the difference between corrected and original coordinates. The same icons are used when sending the caches to my GPS so again, no problem there to recognize solved mysteries.

To have the same functionality on gc I guess we'll have to wait a long time.

Since I keep my corrected coordinates and notes in GSAK I already see mysteries with corrected coordinates at their actual location on the map. On top of that they have their own icon so it's easy to see the difference between corrected and original coordinates. The same icons are used when sending the caches to my GPS so again, no problem there to recognize solved mysteries.

To have the same functionality on gc I guess we'll have to wait a long time.

Perhaps but the description of this forum section is: "Discussions about features, bugs, and ways to improve Geocaching.com."

The OP started a discussion with a suggestion to improve the geocaching.com site. Using a third-party tool does nothing to improve geocaching.com.

If the default behavior was to show caches with corrected coordinates using the corrected location on the map it would probably result in a lot of people complaining about geoart on the maps getting messed up.
Or maybe it would give rise to a new style of geoart, a style where the posted coordinates form one image (e.g., a top hat) and the solved coordinates form another image (e.g., a rabbit).

Perhaps but the description of this forum section is: "Discussions about features, bugs, and ways to improve Geocaching.com."

The OP started a discussion with a suggestion to improve the geocaching.com site. Using a third-party tool does nothing to improve geocaching.com.

I gave the info so GC can take a look and see how it can be done. I know you always complain about it when I give examples of how GSAK does all the things people are expecting from the gc website but, like it or not, almost everything can be done already (for a long time) but not on this site.

I couldn't stand waiting for much needed features to be implemented while knowing it's already possible via other means. Even for the most basic things I use greasemonkey scripts to add functionality to the website.