Folding up that LOOONNNNG scroll of log paper

i decided to help the next finder & i now fold the scroll with my (latest) entry on TOP.

if it's to be put in a pill pouch, as so many are, i put my entry facing the clear side w/o the label, so it shows immediately.

comments?

Logical and helpful - should be done more often.

It's surprising* how many COs place a nano and squeeze such a long roll of paper in...

Do they think it will cut down on the maintenance of replacing the log?

It usually gets wet/worn/torn and requires MORE maintenance!

I've often torn off the last section, as it's got so tatty it no longer fits easily, makes to log difficult to remove, and is soon going to stop the container being watertight.

* No, it doesn't really surprise me. :rolleyes:

It's surprising* how many COs place a nano and squeeze such a long roll of paper in...

It usually gets wet/worn/torn and requires MORE maintenance!

I've often torn off the last section, as it's got so tatty it no longer fits easily, makes to log difficult to remove, and is soon going to stop the container being watertight.

* No, it doesn't really surprise me. :rolleyes:

Believe it or not, I've never found a nano log that was wet, tattered or torn. Full? Yeah, all the time. Never one that needed to be replaced for anything other than being full, though.

i decided to help the next finder & i now fold the scroll with my (latest) entry on TOP.

if it's to be put in a pill pouch, as so many are, i put my entry facing the clear side w/o the label, so it shows immediately.

comments?

That's awfully bold of you. :P

Seriously, not sure what to comment about that. Good. I guess.:unsure:

No, I they do that so that finders can write their full name, the date, and a few words about their experience on the nano scroll.

It depends on the cache/log.

With a nano, I don't see how you can do that. You have to roll the log up.

With a proper logbook with a cover, I prefer to close the cover on the logbook, rather than keep it open to the last page.

With a logsheet in a non-nano container, yes I'll try and fold it so the next space is showing.

We once found a cache called something like 'longest cache in...' or something like that. Turned out the logbook was an old-fashioned cache register roll of paper. We found out when we accidentally dropped it and it rolled away and unrolled a bit :rolleyes:

Mrs. terratin

Generally I fold the log so the blurb or any other identifying information is on the outside, and if there is none, I normally fold it back up the way I found it. I find that logs folded arbitrarily by the last cacher tend to get multiple chronologies in various parts of the log. When the log is folded as it originally was, it's easier to find the one true last entry and sign under it. Besides, I'm not worried about a little extra work by the next finder, but I am worried about a muggle not immediately seeing something that might clue them in about what they've found.

Having said all that, I want to stress that I've never given it any thought until you asked, so it's not as if I'm religious about how the log is folded or rolled.

Generally I fold the log so the blurb or any other identifying information is on the outside[...]

Having said all that, I want to stress that I've never given it any thought until you asked, so it's not as if I'm religious about how the log is folded or rolled.

Yeah, it just seemed obvious to me that you'd want muggles to see the information about geocaching first, as soon as they opened a cache. It seems odd to me to bury that information in the middle of the folded/rolled log sheet.
Generally I fold the log so the blurb or any other identifying information is on the outside[...]

Yeah, it just seemed obvious to me that you'd want muggles to see the information about geocaching first, as soon as they opened a cache. It seems odd to me to bury that information in the middle of the folded/rolled log sheet.

Hmmm, now that is something to think about. I was always just thinking of the next cacher.

I used to do that when I first started caching, and if there is a separate muggle sheet, I will still try to put that on top of the log, but I try to leave the log in the "next signer's" position now.

I find some co annoying when they use too much paper.... yep.. I rip off the bottom!

I did this to a long scroll. I left enough paper to last a year. It was a film canister. By the time a year is up it'll be a moldy bit of pulp anyway. No point having 3 years worth of paper to scroll up and stuff back into the canister.

Edited by L0ne.R

I find some co annoying when they use too much paper.... yep.. I rip off the bottom!

I did this to a long scroll. I left enough paper to last a year. It was a film canister. By the time a year is up it'll be a moldy bit of pulp anyway. No point having 3 years worth of paper to scroll up and stuff back into the canister.

Yes... when I was at geowoodstock, I noticed so many caches was just so full of paper! Really slow me down. :ph34r: Yep, I rip off a few pages out.

I used to do that when I first started caching, and if there is a separate muggle sheet, I will still try to put that on top of the log, but I try to leave the log in the "next signer's" position now.

Ahhhhh....

You're talking about those historic caches where there was room for swag, a logbook, a "Geocache Note to Welcome Finders", and even a white Jeep trackable or two? I've heard of them!

I've used a printable muggle sheet that I've encased in packing tape that fits nicely into the cover of a 30m ammo can.

Ahhhhh....

You're talking about those historic caches where there was room for swag, a logbook, a "Geocache Note to Welcome Finders", and even a white Jeep trackable or two? I've heard of them!

Not necessarily. The extra micro-sized log sheets that I carry include a cache note, in addition to room for plenty of signatures.

Right. Many do. But NeverSummer was referring to my post about putting the separate cache note on the top of the log. Besides... I think he was just joking around.:rolleyes:

Ahhhhh....

Not necessarily. The extra micro-sized log sheets that I carry include a cache note, in addition to room for plenty of signatures.

Right. Many do. But NeverSummer was referring to my post about putting the separate cache note on the top of the log. Besides... I think he was just joking around.:rolleyes:

Me? Naaaaaah!