Mapquest – roads vs trails

I just added a new waymark for a monument located on the Chickamauga Battlefield. When checking the Mapquest “leaflet”, I noticed my waymark appeared to be on a road (white line on the map). After taking a close look at the map, it appears Mapquest shows some trail, but not all trails, as a solid white line rather than the standard dashes. I included directions on how to reach the monument and say:

“... follow this path until you reach a clearing.” (clearing is visible on Goggle Earth)

Since mapquest does not differentiate roads from walking paths, this may confuse some (i.e. you cannot drive, you have to walk). When approving, just be aware that the map maybe misleading.

Coordinates of the 17th Tennessee Infantry Regiment Marker

N 34° 55.616 W 085° 16.475

Waymark (may still be pending)

http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WMNZ4V_17th_Tennessee_Infantry_Regiment_Marker_Chickamauga_National_Battlefield

After taking a close look at the map, it appears Mapquest shows some trail, but not all trails, as a solid white line rather than the standard dashes.

I just took a look at the area and I see what the problem is. That object was imported from a US government dataset as an unnamed residential road, which sounds like is incorrect based on your post. It isn't uncommon for there to be such errors with that particular dataset. MapQuest Open (which uses OpenStreetMap data) does differentiate between roads and trails, but the trail is just incorrectly tagged as a road in this case.

The Vittetoe Rd is an unpaved road and has a barricaded at each end that the park service uses. Then there are several hiking paths in the area. I looked at trails.com, and they do not differentiate either, or if they do, its hard to tell on my PC anyway. They do show more of the trails. I'll stick with my paper topo map, Ive walked most of the area enough to know it is correct.

Edited by Lat34North