Adopting an Archived Cache to Revive it

Hey all -

So I thought I'd throw this question out to the masses of well-opinioned cachers. ;)

There are two caches that are now archived within 1/2 mile of me. They have sentimental memories for us, because they are the first couple caches we found after setting up our own handle on this site. Plus they're close to home base and are a tie to the historical points of our community.

I first thought to adopt them and drag them from the archives back into the light of day, replace, and maintain them to their former glory. So, I reached out to the COs (two different people in the same caching family). They have thus far been unresponsive to my requests and haven't been around here in years. I'm thinking this approach is not going to work.

Next, I thought, well I'll contact a site reviewer, volunteer, or whoever appropriate and request if I can adopt them that way. I'm not sure if this is even a process or feasible.

Finally, I thought, heck with it... I'll just hide new hides in these two spots, give them similar slightly different names, put all the juicy historical content back in the descriptions and start fresh. But that kind of defeats the point of reviving old caches for sentimental value and paying tribute to the cachers before us who placed these neat hides and also all those who logged these caches.

Thoughts? I'm open to kind suggestions. :)

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this when you could've been out caching!

I'm pretty sure that only the cache owner can initiate the adoption process. If they don't respond, it can't be done. If they haven't active in years, I would personally request that be archived--a "Needs Archived" log. Plenty on the forums will disagree with that, though. I wish more older, out of date caches would get archived so we'd get new ones.

Edited by Dame Deco

I'm pretty sure that only the cache owner can initiate the adoption process. If they don't respond, it can't be done. If they haven't active in years, I would personally request that be archived--a "Needs Archived" log. Plenty on the forums will disagree with that, though. I wish more older, out of date caches would get archived so we'd get new ones.

Thanks for that input! Yeah, both of these are archived. So based on the premise that only a CO can initiate an adoption, it looks like our only choice is to start from scratch.

... So based on the premise that only a CO can initiate an adoption, it looks like our only choice is to start from scratch.

Yep.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this when you could've been out caching!

:lol:

Usually (w/ my posts) I'm home (or work) doing something and can't leave.

Got guides just threaded/cemented on a bamboo 4wt rod and it's on the dryer now.

Next, I thought, well I'll contact a site reviewer, volunteer, or whoever appropriate and request if I can adopt them that way. I'm not sure if this is even a process or feasible.

It is not feasible. Caches are the property of the cache owners (i.e., the geocachers who hid them). Groundspeak is a listing service. They don't own the caches, thus they are not in a position to transfer ownership of the caches (i.e., adopt them out) without the permission of the actual owner.

Edited by CanadianRockies

Hey all -

So I thought I'd throw this question out to the masses of well-opinioned cachers. ;)

There are two caches that are now archived within 1/2 mile of me. They have sentimental memories for us, because they are the first couple caches we found after setting up our own handle on this site. Plus they're close to home base and are a tie to the historical points of our community.

I first thought to adopt them and drag them from the archives back into the light of day, replace, and maintain them to their former glory. So, I reached out to the COs (two different people in the same caching family). They have thus far been unresponsive to my requests and haven't been around here in years. I'm thinking this approach is not going to work.

Finally, I thought, heck with it... I'll just hide new hides in these two spots, give them similar slightly different names, put all the juicy historical content back in the descriptions and start fresh. But that kind of defeats the point of reviving old caches for sentimental value and paying tribute to the cachers before us who placed these neat hides and also all those who logged these caches.

Thoughts? I'm open to kind suggestions. :)

Your only real option is to place new caches and submit them for review. New caches would need to conform to the current Guidelines. Just because a cache was there in the past is no guarantee that a new cache would pass Review.

Be aware that there might be issues with those locations. Those caches might have been archived for Guideline violations, private property issues, etc that might block the placement of new caches.

You can't adopt caches without the cache owner initiating the process.

You can't adopt caches for the purpose of unarchiving them.

The Help Center explains all this and much, much more.

Help Center

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php

Help Center → Hiding a Geocache → Geocache Ownership: A Long-Term Relationship

3.15. Adopting or Transferring a Geocache

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=54

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

Just do what I did

Thanks for this link! Good advice and a good revival. Now that I know I'll recreate these I'll take care to give a nod to the original caches and their intent. So maybe I can salvage a little mojo of what made these two so meaningful to us. :)

Sounds good. :) I've placed several caches at sites of archived caches that were meaningful to me. A couple of them I designed the new cache name with the archived cache name in mind, and posted a link to the archived page. One of the caches was at the site of my first day of caching. It feels nice to own these caches and be reminded of good times.

Thanks for that input! Yeah, both of these are archived. So based on the premise that only a CO can initiate an adoption, it looks like our only choice is to start from scratch.

To my mind, that is preferable anyway. I am generally not in favor of adopting caches. If the area is worth a cache, put a new one there. You will bring some of the old timers back that found the original, and maybe haven't been back since.

Did you miss the part where he says they have been archived already

Edited by Walts Hunting

Just do what I did

Thanks for this link! Good advice and a good revival. Now that I know I'll recreate these I'll take care to give a nod to the original caches and their intent. So maybe I can salvage a little mojo of what made these two so meaningful to us. :)

Sounds good. :) I've placed several caches at sites of archived caches that were meaningful to me. A couple of them I designed the new cache name with the archived cache name in mind, and posted a link to the archived page. One of the caches was at the site of my first day of caching. It feels nice to own these caches and be reminded of good times.

Yeah, I'm sentimental like that, too. The idea of starting new and while still paying tribute to the past is growing on me. :) Thanks for chiming in!

To my mind, that is preferable anyway. I am generally not in favor of adopting caches. If the area is worth a cache, put a new one there. You will bring some of the old timers back that found the original, and maybe haven't been back since.

That's a good idea, too. Starting a new cache will bring folks back to the area. It's kinda funny when I go to log a cache and get a strong sense of deja vu and then realize I'd logged a previous cache in the same spot just years earlier.

It's kinda funny when I go to log a cache and get a strong sense of deja vu and then realize I'd logged a previous cache in the same spot just years earlier.

That has happened to me a number of times. I guess that a good place for a cache is a good place for a cache! I've found some hidden in almost exactly the same spot as a cache that had been archived before the new hider started geocaching.

Did you miss the part where he says they have been archived already

Yes--if you'd kept reading and seen my other posts you would see that I did miss that. :rolleyes:

Edited by Dame Deco