Cache Hiders: Your favorite cache placed in the Northeast.

The Artful Dodger

After reading the 'Greatest caches in the Northeast' thread, I got to thinking about which caches that I have placed would I recommend the most for geocachers to seek...what would be my favorites.

My top two are multicaches:

Ay Caramba! AND Cauldrons of Courage

and to a lesser extent, my Splitrock Splendor and Giant Stairs

Just curious from the other Northeast cache placers out there as to which cache do they consider their favorite?

quote:
Originally posted by The Artful Dodger:

After reading the _'Greatest caches in the Northeast'_ thread, I got to thinking about which caches that I have placed would I recommend the most for geocachers to seek...what would be my favorites.

My top two are multicaches:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=20469 AND http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=52893

and to a lesser extent, my http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=10087 and http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=10400

Just curious from the other Northeast cache placers out there as to which cache do they consider their favorite?

Where's your humility man! icon_biggrin.gif

For me, it's Serenity

Salvelinus

goldfish.gif

"The trail will be long and full of frustrations. Life is a whole and good and evil must be accepted together"

Ralph Abele

Hey Artful D ... that Cauldrons of Courage sure seemed familiar to me. icon_wink.gif

My favorite placement was my MOC "Dundee Lake??," which was formerly known as "Truth in Advertising."

The page was viewed several hundred times by approximately 25 people, but only one sought it (Kailek from Kailek & Victoria) and logged a find.

It was one of those caches that required a small amount of effort, so I wasn't too surprised.

I plan on reusing the area as a "public" multicache so that those who were denied the opportunity to ignore it when it was a MOC have their chance to ignore it, too. icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

It was one of those caches that required a small amount of effort, so I wasn't too surprised.

I plan on reusing the area as a "public" multicache so that those who were denied the opportunity to ignore it when it was a MOC have their chance to ignore it, too. icon_wink.gif

And I'm sure the elements dumping a load of snow on us recently had nothing to do with that.

I know you have a point to make about caches involving effort receiving fewer visitors but I think, given the snow and the complaints from some local cachers in the Northeast forum on said snow, caching activity would be down and it wouldn't be unusual to have caches receiving only one, two or no visitors. If you leave it up until the summer and it still has only one visitor then I'd say you'll have more than enough justification at that time to claim it is being ignored.

[This message was edited by StayFloopy on March 07, 2003 at 12:12 PM.]

Of my 8 caches, the two multicaches are my favorites because of the many hours of work that went into setting them up, as well as the *great* log entries left by visitors. Both hunts take several hours.

Elves in the Heights is a 4/2.5 multi with four stages. To get from stage two to three, you have to navigate through a hedgerow maze, and the final hiding spot has proved *very* frustrating.

Elves been Workin' on the Trail Road is a six-mile plus journey on a rails-to-trails segment that includes a tunnel. Best done on a bicycle, the cache has only been found four times because setup wasn't completed until November. I expect this to become quite popular once the weather improves.

Both of these efforts will be eclipsed by our upcoming "Elves on the Stairmaster" and "Elves at Hogwarts" multicaches, to be placed this spring! We've been scheming all winter long....

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

I was formerly employed by the Department of Redundancy Department, but I don't work there anymore.

None of the caches we have out there are too difficult but this Spring we are planning on hiding a few that require a little more effort. Of the ones out there right now, our favorites are: Bearfort Fire Tower http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=41340 & Pochuck Bypass http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=35732

[This message was edited by Skully & Mulder et al. on March 08, 2003 at 03:50 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by StayFloopy:

And I'm sure the elements dumping a load of snow on us recently had nothing to do with that.

I know you have a point to make about caches involving effort receiving fewer visitors but I think, given the snow and the complaints from some local cachers in the Northeast forum on said snow, caching activity would be down ...

Oh, I agree ... during the period Dundee Lake?? was active, I only bothered to snag 30 caches ... but they included Roo2, The Goat, Christmas Cache 2002, Cauldrons of Courage, Allamuchy Climber, Cars & Frogs at Hacklebarney, and a return visit to Alluvial Material ... all of which far exceeded the demands of my little cache, so it's pretty obvious that weather conditions were not a major issue for most of the period the cache was active.

In my judgement, the two local caches closest in length and difficulty during that period were Notcher Basic Roadside Cache and Wet Foote.

As you know, I believe in "expiration dates" for caches; I won't leave a cache active if it doesn't draw visitors.

[This message was edited by BassoonPilot on March 07, 2003 at 06:41 PM.]

Of my own, I had the most fun placing my BOLP III cache. Just getting out to the cache site was an adventure, at the time of the year I placed it.

Billy E 9/11 holds a place in my heart because it was my first cache and it was placed in memory of a my brother's co-worker, neighbor and best friend. It's also a pretty good hide for a first try, so I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

Terrace Pond was another favorite of mine. It's in an area that I've enjoyed since my days as a teen-age "beer hiker" and to this day I'm surprised that it isn't as popular as it should be.

I also enjoyed placing Osio Rock Ramble. I thought it would be a nice compliment to Skibum's Stone Living Room cache and the view from Osio Rock is one of the best in NJ.

A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take it all away. -Barry Goldwater

quote:

>snip<

As you know, I believe in "expiration dates" for caches; I won't leave a cache active if it doesn't draw visitors.

>snip<

I'd agree with Floopy - people are finding some caches, but I'd expect things to slow down owing to the snow cover. Doesn't make finding caches impossible, but certainly harder.

Now don't go archiving these caches yet - I'm working my way around but I can't get to all of 'em as quickly owing to a full time job! icon_biggrin.gif

Dundee Lake is on my list of to-do's so please leave it around for a bit at least! There's a couple caches I've got on my list that haven't been found since LAST SUMMER....(I sure hope they're still there since the locations seem terrific).

BTW - "Duck Season - Wabbit Season" is still waiting under the snow still waiting for a first visit from BP or Floopy! icon_razz.gif (BP managed to quickly snag Alamuchy Climber's cache!). I'd put Duck Season as my favorite placement so far (in my very limited stint at hiding caches).

I'm especially psyched as I'm seeing this list develop of favorite placements as I've got many of these on my to-do list.

[This message was edited by HartClimbs on March 07, 2003 at 07:16 PM.]

Our best cache - New York/New Jersey Multi-State Multi-Cache. It is not very popular. Probably because it involves the longest hike of any cache listed in the state of Jersey.

The second best - No Hints Bridges the Gap. This cache, located in Jersey was hidden three days before Christmas. Like all our caches, this has a longer than usual hiking distance, and will not be popular. It has been found twice in the snow to date, both times by Pennsylvanian cachers.

quote:
Our best cache - New York/New Jersey Multi-State Multi-Cache. It is not very popular. Probably because it involves the longest hike of any cache listed in the state of Jersey.

This one has been on the top of my list since it was posted. Can it be reasonably found with snow on the ground?

A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take it all away. -Barry Goldwater

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

This one has been on the top of my list since it was posted. Can it be reasonably found with snow on the ground?

Brian - give me a shout if you want company on this one. I was saving it for my 100th, but would be happy to do it earlier.

Brian and Hartclimbs - concerning the NY/NJ Multi-State Multi-cache. We believe the initial (or Jersey) cache would be pretty difficult in the snow. The final (or New York) cache could probably be found. Incidentally we plan to check all our caches and perform required maintenance as soon as we are sure the winter snows are over.

To Hartclimbs - We are honored that you would like our cache to be your 100th.

I highly recomend this cache! It was my 4th find and when I first joined the second closest to my house. It has it all, some of the most envigorating hiking in NJ and NY. Great scenic views, places to stop for a picnic with total quiet around. The day I went was so clear I could see the Empire State Building and High Point Monument. I recomend doing it with covert 002 because it would make a great loop hike. It was this cache that got me hooked on geocaching and has inspired many a idea in my head for a similar one. My next hide will be along these lines for sure. I dont understand why it is not popular, the high quality of this cache makes it very exciting. Thank you Waterboy and Wife.

quote:

Oh, I agree ... during the period Dundee Lake?? was active, I only bothered to snag 30 caches ... but they included Roo2, The Goat, Christmas Cache 2002, Cauldrons of Courage, Allamuchy Climber,

I think we need some BP clones then to keep finding Dundee Lake so you won't expire it before the rest of the North Jersey contingent comes out of hibernation.

alan2 has two covered Bridge Tours through Bucks County Pennsylvania which are very fun, scenic, and well laid out. We completed this one:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=47142

There is also a North tour.

Also two others I liked in Bucks were Lake Warren for its tranquility (such a peaceful spot and a neat climbing tree nearby):

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=19159and also my buddy yiprip's for it's awesome view called ScenicViews:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=21903

They are all nearby each other in Bucks county and would make for a great caching day.

Wags, Russ & Erin

quote:
Originally posted by StayFloopy:

I think we need some BP clones then to keep finding Dundee Lake so you won't expire it before the rest of the North Jersey contingent comes out of hibernation.

But Floopy, some of the folk around these and other forums have already suggested that one of me is one too many. icon_wink.gif

Actually, I archived Dundee Lake? a couple of weeks back.

Well if you are out in Western PA I would have to agree with those who posted earlier that any of Quest Master's caches should be sought out. Of those of his that I have done they have definetely been among the best. Keep up the good work QM!

"Democracy is the belief that 20,000 lemmings can't all be wrong."