Disable of Message Center ?

Arne1

I know I would drop a voluntary hobby if it was causing me more headaches and problems than giving me joy.

That's it!!! Change the word "drop" to "archive" and the word "hobby" to "cache" and you have perfectly summed up my feelings!! So tell me why archiving a cache or caches is "silly", but quitting the whole hobby is not?

Mrs. Car54

I never said that archiving a cache is silly. My silly comment was directly linked to cezanne's comment about manually having to enter quotes instead of having it done for you. THAT is the silly that I'm referring to.

I think it's not worth considering archiving a cache because a program that WORKS, (with certain limitations - not cross platform compatible yet, 1000 character limit, etc...) doesn't work as well or as easily as the one that existed before (and still exists) the implementation of the MC. It does not work perfectly (yet), but it WORKS. It does what it's supposed to, but not in a manner that pleases everyone (including me) and we have to accept answers sent via the MC, according to GS, because it WORKS.

Unless I'm mistaken, wasn't it you who stated that you'd be good if the notification (email you received when you got a new message in the MC) contained the entire text of the message?

<snip> If they've changed things so the full text of the MC message shows in the e-mail notification, I'm good. Otherwise, the MC requires more work on my part. <snip>

<snip> If they've changed things so the full text of the MC message shows in the e-mail notification, I'm good. Otherwise, the MC requires more work on my part. <snip>
Yeah, too bad you get notification (and text content) for only some of the messages. And you don't get images. And you can't just reply to the notification and have the MC forward your reply to the other geocacher.

But, it works. I'm NOT denying that it's not ready for prime time as it currently exists. There are plenty of issues involved in its use and implementation, but its main function, to communicate with other geocachers, works. Replying to said communication isn't as easy as it could be, involving a little more inconvenience on the users' part, but it can still be done.

I'm also wondering if a cacher asks me a question and I need to reply it, etc, why does geocaching want to record what we are communicating?

They don't want to record what you are saying, put the foil hat back in the drawer.

For years there's been complaints about "i can't contact xxx user" be it because they cache with a phone app or registered with a throwaway email address. With the message centre app users get the message on the phone when they open the app, those who use a throwaway get it when they come to the website.

Edited by Tassie_Boy

I never said that archiving a cache is silly. My silly comment was directly linked to cezanne's comment about manually having to enter quotes instead of having it done for you. THAT is the silly that I'm referring to.

Ahhhh, thanks for the clarification - my bad! :)

Unless I'm mistaken, wasn't it you who stated that you'd be good if the notification (email you received when you got a new message in the MC) contained the entire text of the message?

You are not mistaken. And yep, I'm good. I was just continuing the discussion - probably because I've had trouble with newbs on two caches that are causing me to think about archiving those two - nothing at all related to MC. **must learn not to let one issue bleed over into another** :laughing: :laughing:

Mrs. Car54

I'm also wondering if a cacher asks me a question and I need to reply it, etc, why does geocaching want to record what we are communicating?

They don't want to record what you are saying, put the foil hat back in the drawer.

For years there's been complaints about "i can't contact xxx user" be it because they cache with a phone app or registered with a throwaway email address. With the message centre app users get the message on the phone when they open the app, those who use a throwaway get it when they come to the website.

Sure.

But, why send such messages to geocachers which prefere email ?!

Sure.

But, why send such messages to geocachers which prefere email ?!

Because at the very top of the cache page is a link that says "Message This Owner" and it takes you straight to the message centre to send a message to the CO. No need to go to their profile, no need to make sure a return address is included. The intended recipient gets it next time they are on the website or the app. Chances are the sender doesn't know that email is your preference and you can put it on your profile all you want but it doesn't mean squat if there's no reason to go to the profile to initiate contact.

Because at the very top of the cache page is a link that says "Message This Owner" and it takes you straight to the message centre to send a message to the CO. ]No need to go to their profile,

Kind of funny they dis that and did not have such a link to "send email". There's a GM script that does this AND it includes the cachename automatically and adds a user definable footer. So 1 click from the listing to the e-mail page. No need to go to their profile.

no need to make sure a return address is included. The intended recipient gets it next time they are on the website or the app. Chances are the sender doesn't know that email is your preference and you can put it on your profile all you want but it doesn't mean squat if there's no reason to go to the profile to initiate contact.

They will probably go to the profile if they don't get a (timely) answer to their "message" just to check the "latest activity" date.

Because at the very top of the cache page is a link that says "Message This Owner" and it takes you straight to the message centre to send a message to the CO. ]No need to go to their profile,

Kind of funny they dis that and did not have such a link to "send email". There's a GM script that does this AND it includes the cachename automatically and adds a user definable footer. So 1 click from the listing to the e-mail page. No need to go to their profile.

How many normal everyday people do you think really use that sort of thing?

I consider myself "normal everyday" :lol:

I meant that now there's a "send message" on the listing while they could have "stolen" the script's idea and put a "send email" link on the listing a long time ago. Just looking at the different GM scripts anyone can see there's a lot of room for improving the website as a whole.

The GM script even has a "send email" link next to every logger so you can send e-mail with one click.

I consider myself "normal everyday" :lol:

I meant that now there's a "send message" on the listing while they could have "stolen" the script's idea and put a "send email" link on the listing a long time ago. Just looking at the different GM scripts anyone can see there's a lot of room for improving the website as a whole.

The GM script even has a "send email" link next to every logger so you can send e-mail with one click.

Link to script, or name?

Maybe there is a technical difference between "recording" and "collecting." Groundspeak collects information, including "Messages you send or receive through our communications services." It is my understanding that this applies to both email and the MC sent through Groundspeak, but with email it is possible to contact people directly in response to any questions, comments, or logging answers (as long as they allow their email address to be used). But I do not recommend using foil hats since you need real tin - the alumnium foil these days won't do it - so I agree it should be kept in the drawer.

I also mentioned that quoting is not possible within the MC center and when applying copy and paste, I need to insert quote symbols at the start of each line manually.

Really? SMH and OMG

If you're going to start using profanity, then your posts are not worth reading. You go on the Ignore List.

The message center was developed for the young app-using FaceSlappers. For many of us grey-haired (even with dye) cachers, it is annoying and far more difficult to use. But you ignore their points, and basically make fun of serious arguments. Ignore.

Harry Dolphin-

"Some people are like slinkies. Not much good for anything but bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs!"

If you're going to call OMG a profanity and then use a signature joke about pushing people down stairs then you're probably worth putting on the ignore list yourself. Also, using FaceSlappers instead of saying what you wanted to say is just working around the "bad" word that you really wanted to use. For the record it doesn't make you or your comment any better because you didn't use the actual word but a synonym for the word. For anyone who doesn't know just look at the first definition of face slapper on Urban Dictionary.

Edited by mercuryturtle