No Comments in Log?

Dr Spiggly

I have recently had some very new cachers (11-12 finds each) log one of my caches, but leave no comments in the log (totally blank). I have previously not put a comment in the website and it doesn't allow you to log the find without a comment, so i presume they have logged through an app, but no idea which one (could have been the intro, or even a non-Groundspeak app like c:geo). I am tempted to message them and let them know that putting a comment in is mandatory, but any idea how this has occurred or how to find out where from?

I have recently had some very new cachers (11-12 finds each) log one of my caches, but leave no comments in the log (totally blank). I have previously not put a comment in the website and it doesn't allow you to log the find without a comment, so i presume they have logged through an app, but no idea which one (could have been the intro, or even a non-Groundspeak app like c:geo). I am tempted to message them and let them know that putting a comment in is mandatory, but any idea how this has occurred or how to find out where from?

I have no idea where you got the idea that including a comment is mandatory.

You would prefer "tftc" or what I've seen: . (yes, just a period)

I thought that GS apps provided a built-in log when the user logged from the app. It used to be something like "that's one more for me", but got changed.

The only thing I know of that GS says in numerous places is to sign the physical log.

B.

and let them know that putting a comment in is mandatory

It is NOT mandatory. Signing the physical log is mandatory, writing an online comment is not. In 2009 (?) when app logging was new, there were a lot of blank logs. It's rarer now, as nearly all apps of any flavor have some kind of default "thank you" log on submit.

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx#logging

Certainly a courtesy, but not mandatory.

Feel free to contact them and explain that putting something in the log is usual. Typically, contact attempts don't work, as they're not aware of having an account, and see neither an email though Geocaching.com or the Message center notice. Still no harm in trying.

The early GC.com app could create blank logs, then that got corrected with some default text. I can't speak to other apps.

I still see completely blank logs, though not often now.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

Poor form, though. They aren't contributing anything whatsoever to the game aside from confirming it's there...and even THAT is debatable.

I no longer trust the most recent logs on a cache if they are of the simplistic type. "thanks", "tftc", "got it", etc.

I scroll down on the cache page until I see logs with some actual content, that might be more indicative of someone actually finding the cache, not just seeing it displayed on their phone.

B.

Poor form, though. They aren't contributing anything whatsoever to the game aside from confirming it's there...and even THAT is debatable.

I no longer trust the most recent logs on a cache if they are of the simplistic type. "thanks", "tftc", "got it", etc.

I scroll down on the cache page until I see logs with some actual content, that might be more indicative of someone actually finding the cache, not just seeing it displayed on their phone.

B.

+1

We're starting to realize that "close enough" is the new "found it" with these phone kids.

B.

Absolutely, which is why I stated that it was "debatable". It's MOST questionable if it's a puzzle or a multi-cache. That happened on one of my multi-caches that involved waypoint projection on several stages. Someone with a handful of finds just wrote "found in tree"...which only describes the tag I placed at the first stage. I quickly deleted that one.

B.

+1

We're starting to realize that "close enough" is the new "found it" with these phone kids.

Boy oh boy. Ain't that the truth. It's getting frustrating especially with caches that have DNFs. Is it really there?

Regarding the blank log, it may have come from an unsupported app that starts with C or possibly (perhaps unlikely) a GSAK thing - mass logging with the same blank message - check some of their other finds that day.

Why even bother to set up cache pages!

- Just add co-ordinates and nothing else.

If they are too lazy to acknowledge their "Found" why am I spending hours setting up pages with information, photos and even hints?

(Some can't even tell the difference between a 'Regular/Multi or Puzzle' cache as I was told a few times my co-ords were out by miles) [/size]

Why even bother to set up cache pages!

- Just add co-ordinates and nothing else.

If they are too lazy to acknowledge their "Found" why am I spending hours setting up pages with information, photos and even hints?

(Some can't even tell the difference between a 'Regular/Multi or Puzzle' cache as I was told a few times my co-ords were out by miles) [/size]

Depends who you're catering to: the lowest common denominator, or those in the community that really appreciate the time and effort put into a nice cache and write up. You make the game into what you want to get out of it. If you're expectations are low, you probably won't get much enjoyment from it.