does not exist in system?

tinkota

I went caching tonight, and found a cache with a GC in it, and when I look up the code on the back, it says does not exist in system? I'm assuming that means the owner didn't claim it online? So what does one do in that situation?

this cache?

http://coord.info/GC52TX8 A Garden Treasure

the inventory shows this trackable: http://coord.info/TB727WC

If that's the trackable that you retrieved, then you should double-check the tracking number, as it is obviously in the system.

Common mistakes are mistaking an O for a 0, a B for an 8, etc.

B.

I went caching tonight, and found a cache with a GC in it, and when I look up the code on the back, it says does not exist in system? I'm assuming that means the owner didn't claim it online? So what does one do in that situation?

this cache?

If that's the trackable that you retrieved, then you should double-check the tracking number, as it is obviously in the system.

B.

this cache?

B.

Nope, tried every possible combination, and it's not in the system. I left it in there, as I wasn't sure what to do with it.

this cache?

B.

Nope, tried every possible combination, and it's not in the system. I left it in there, as I wasn't sure what to do with it.

Okay, well that's fine.

One other thing I forgot to mention is that it *should* say "trackable at geocaching.com" if it actually is a geocoin.

Perhaps what you saw was some sort of sig item or a pathtag.

Neither one of those things would be trackable on Groundspeak's website.

Also forgot to mention that you could post a "discover" log for the trackable that was in the inventory and that you saw. Not a major thing, but it does let the trackable owner that their trackable is okay (at that time).

B.

this cache?

B.

Okay, well that's fine.

One other thing I forgot to mention is that it *should* say "trackable at geocaching.com" if it actually is a geocoin.

Perhaps what you saw was some sort of sig item or a pathtag.

Neither one of those things would be trackable on Groundspeak's website.

Also forgot to mention that you could post a "discover" log for the trackable that was in the inventory and that you saw. Not a major thing, but it does let the trackable owner that their trackable is okay (at that time).

B.

lol I promise it was a real trackable geocoin! How can I "discover it" if it doesn't exist in the system?

lol I promise it was a real trackable geocoin! How can I "discover it" if it doesn't exist in the system?

I think Pup Patrol was referencing the other trackable you left behind, not the one you can't identify.

oh gotcha, yeah I didn't write down the tracking number on that one, so I can't discover it, but i did email the owner, and just let them know that it's still in there.

I think Pup Patrol was referencing the other trackable you left behind, not the one you can't identify.

oh gotcha, yeah I didn't write down the tracking number on that one, so I can't discover it, but i did email the owner, and just let them know that it's still in there.

You don't need to mail the owner. You can just write a note at the trackable's page. For a note you don't need the code.

About the coin: does it say trackable or not?

Sometimes there are sample coins in caches that say "trackable" on them, but the code is bogus, either XXXXXX or something like 003873 (that seems to be kind of a identification number at the mint used for samples). Some say SHARKZ for landsharkz and so on. But then it's not a real code.

Another otion is that the code has a spelling mistake...

If you upload a picture, maybe someone can identify the coin.

I'm also having a "Does not exist" problem. I purchased some coins at GeoWoodstock this past weekend, one of which is Maine's First Geocache: GC128 Fort Williams Cache by geocachingmaine.org and dated 2005. There is a 4 digit code on it, but I can't pull up a code to activate it. Now what? Have "properly trackable" coins always had the track at gc.com line on them? Is this something else or just an oldie?

I'm also having a "Does not exist" problem. I purchased some coins at GeoWoodstock this past weekend, one of which is Maine's First Geocache: GC128 Fort Williams Cache by geocachingmaine.org and dated 2005. There is a 4 digit code on it, but I can't pull up a code to activate it. Now what? Have "properly trackable" coins always had the track at gc.com line on them? Is this something else or just an oldie?

It would seem you have a non-trackable geocoin. Many coins from that era (2004-2007) were non-trackable.

Maine's First Geocache 2005 is a non-trackable coin.

I love it because of the lighthouse.

You don't need to mail the owner. You can just write a note at the trackable's page. For a note you don't need the code.

About the coin: does it say trackable or not?

Sometimes there are sample coins in caches that say "trackable" on them, but the code is bogus, either XXXXXX or something like 003873 (that seems to be kind of a identification number at the mint used for samples). Some say SHARKZ for landsharkz and so on. But then it's not a real code.

Another otion is that the code has a spelling mistake...

If you upload a picture, maybe someone can identify the coin.

Yeah, it said trackable at geocaching.com and had a mix of number and letter for the tracking number. I didn't take a picture of it, and I left it in the cache, since I didn't know what to do with it.

Also, thanks for the tip on leaving a note. Didn't know how to do that. I'll look harder next time. :)

Edited by tinkota

It would seem you have a non-trackable geocoin. Many coins from that era (2004-2007) were non-trackable.

Thanks for everyone's input. I now assume the number is a "which coin" number instead of tracking. :) Agreed that the lighthouse is marvelous, which is what drew me to the coin in the first place. Love it, trackable or not! Thanks again!

Early geocoins had the "PC" prefix for 'personal geocoin'. If the coin you purchased does not have a 6 digit alpha-numeric code on it, it is probably untrackable (but serialized).

~GG