Logo design - NJ Geocaching Association

Mopar

Hey, if we are gonna have a geocaching group, the most important things are a cool name and a cool logo, right? We took a vote on the name at last week's get-together, and Eaglenj1 already had an idea for a logo. I liked his basic layout, but thought it needed to look a little more "geocachey". Here is his original logo, and 2 I did based on his.

54619_800.gif

Eaglenj1 #1

54619_900.gif

Mopar #1

54619_1000.gif

Mopar #2

Comments? Improvements?

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

I like them, but I think Groundspeak will have an issue with your taking liberties with their geocaching logo. I know they gave some Rhode Island geocachers a hard time becuause they replaced the flag on the logo with an anchor.

"An appeaser is one who keeps feeding a crocodile-hoping it will eat him last" -Winston Churchill

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

I like them, but I think Groundspeak will have an issue with your taking liberties with their geocaching logo. I know they gave some Rhode Island geocachers a hard time becuause they replaced the flag on the logo with an anchor.

I think the RI deal involved something they were trying to sell. I would hope gc looks at my designs in the same light as many other organizations:

icon_smile.gif

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

quote:
Originally posted by Rygel:

The letters on all of the above NJ examples are too fuzzy. They need to be crisp and clean like the actual logo.

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

I agree. The software I have installed on my laptop doesn't allow me to do circular text like that, so I just used the ones in eaglenj1 had in example #1.

I would guess that once an idea is decided on, it could be cleaned up and improved upon.

I was taught that all good logos are clearly recognizable when printed in b&w. If one looks at the McDonald's arch, Wal-Mart, and Chrysler, he will see logos that are effective, despite the medium in which they are displayed.

My recommendation is to concentrate on a logo that will reproduce well in b&w.

There are two logos that I would pursue, if I were so inclined:

1. NJGA, where the "J" is the map of NJ. New Jersey Geocaching Association would be printed smaller beneath it.

2. A map of NJ with a single geocaching-identified icon (the public domain G, for instance)

Fro.

Geocaching . . . hiking with a purpose

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

I think the RI deal involved something they were trying to sell.

The Team FISUR/Rhode Island Geocoins have never been for sale. We received approval from Groundspeak for the coins with the modified logo (with the RI anchor). After Groundspeak received updated legal advice concerning the the geocaching.com logo, they notified us that we were not authorized to make more of the same coins.

So the for-sale vs. not-for-sale distinction appears to be misplaced. Please learn from my misfortune.

Good luck on your logo design.

FISUR

Rhode Island Geocaching

OK, two more:

54619_1200.gif

Mopar #3 by popular demand

54619_1300.gif

Rygel #1

Yes, I know the letters on some are fuzzy, at this scale, but they were reduced to fit the forums. Whatever one gets decided on will have nice sharp versions done at various sizes. I might try doing a few more based on some of the ideas mentioned, and wait to see if anyone else comes up with some, then post a poll.

Looks like this is a moot point.

It seems the guy that decided to start a New Jersey Geocaching group has already decided on a logo.

From looking at his web page he's also made contact with Groundspeak about linking his page to the Geocaching page.

====================================

As always, the above statements are just MHO.

quote:
Originally posted by Harrald:

Looks like this is a moot point.

It seems the guy that decided to start a New Jersey Geocaching group has already decided on a logo.

From looking at his web page he's also made contact with Groundspeak about linking his page to the Geocaching page.

As always, the above statements are just MHO.

Looks like you are right, Harrald. Not anywhere as nice as any of the ones here either. Oh well.

I'm afraid that any club or group like this that can't even get this far working together is doomed to fail. Too bad.

I also feel that any group that claims to be a state association needs to be state-wide. If it is in fact slanted to just south jersey, perhaps the name should be the SJGA?

[This message was edited by Mopar on April 07, 2003 at 02:20 PM.]

quote:

If it is in fact slanted to just south jersey, perhaps the name should be the SJGA?

We from South Jersey do not consider anything north of Atlantic City to be in South Jersey. icon_wink.gif

It's possible that themagician does not know of this thread, hence does not know there is discussion of a logo.

Fro.

Geocaching . . . hiking with a purpose

Whoa, what's going on here?? I emailed to be a member and I haven't heard squat about the whole thing!!

Where are all these decisions being made?

Let me add that I think we need to get a thread going so that all interested in a NJGA can contribute.

It seems to me that things are going on behind the scenes. In order to be successful, I think it needs to be democratic.

Just my 2 cents.

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

quote:
Originally posted by Frolickin:

quote:

If it is in fact slanted to just south jersey, perhaps the name should be the SJGA?

We from South Jersey do not consider anything north of Atlantic City to be in South Jersey. icon_wink.gif

It's possible that themagician does not know of this thread, hence does not know there is discussion of a logo.

Well, since I was under the assumption this was a group, I emailed him about posting this thread.

He knows, he even emailed me his vote for Mopar#1.

Sigh.

I also noticed a post about using the Cape May event to vote for officers. That seems to slant things toward SJ, since I doubt many people from North Jersey are gonna drive 3-4 hrs down to vote.

I would suggest going with something more loose-knit. The GGA in Georgia is a good example. They only have a steering committee that basically plans meetings/events and works as a contact for the parks.

Any voting should be done via email or website once a real site (not a freehosted site full of popup ads) was in place. This way all members could participate, not just ones close, or willing and able to drive 150 miles.

[This message was edited by Mopar on April 07, 2003 at 03:21 PM.]

If you ever consider selling group merchandise with your logo on it for fundraising activity, or if you want to have event patches made for your events, etc. you might consider not incorporating the gc.com logo to avoid the complexities associated with gaining the permissions/licenses associated with selling or producing such items.

What's the URL for the NJ group?

--------

trippy1976 - Team KKF2A

Saving geocaches - one golf ball at a time.

Flat_MiGeo_A88.gif

I always thought any group should be regional, since most people tend to hide and hunt caches in their general area. For example, NY has an association for the western part of the state.

Maybe there should be a South Jersey Geocacher's Assn (for any county that has a tneigel cache)

and a Metro Area Geocacher's Society (MAGS) which would cover Northern NJ, NYC, LI, Rockland, Westchester, Putnam, Orange, Dutchess and Ulster counties.

We really don't have much in common with them Pineys icon_wink.gif.

"You can only protect your liberties in this world, by protecting the other man's freedom. "You can only be free if I am" -Clarence Darrow

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

I always thought any group should be regional, since most people tend to hide and hunt caches in their general area. For example, NY has an association for the western part of the state.

Maybe there should be a South Jersey Geocacher's Assn (for any county that has a tneigel cache)

and a Metro Area Geocacher's Society (MAGS) which would cover Northern NJ, NYC, LI, Rockland, Westchester, Putnam, Orange, Dutchess and Ulster counties.

We really don't have much in common with them Pineys icon_wink.gif.

Hey, what about those of us in the middle that swing both ways? icon_biggrin.gif

I'm guessing the NJ logo should have a Buttocks somewhere prominently displayed in honor of the special designation of some of the illustrious members in the GC.COM hierarchy? icon_smile.gif

Reminds me of that old joke where the head, feet, and butt were arguing over who was the 'boss'......

There is a difference between happiness and wisdom: he that thinks himself the happiest man is really so; but he that thinks himself the wisest is generally the greatest fool. Sir Francis Bacon (1561 - 1626)

Actually I like Rygel 1 best

and the web site can be changed with just a few clicks. Most of the votes were for Mopar 1 so thats what I put up until something better comes along.

As for slanting towards north or south Jersey

The original plan was to have meetings all across the state. This way everyone gets a chance.

Election of officers can be done in central Jersey,southJersey or north Jersey

or on line. Makes no difference to me.

BUT FIRST SOMEONE HAS TO SAY HAY I WANNA BE ELECTED!!! aT THAT point we vote, and someone

else gets to make all the decisions and I can go back to looking for caches. So who wants to be president?

Sorry I can't run. First someone that has been around longer than I should take over.

I've been sitting here for 6 months listening to people complain but haven't seen too much action on your part! So I formed the group

signed up members, started a web site ( well its not great but its a start)got recognized by Geocaching.com , got a vote on group name, Mopar made us a logo , that logo seemed to be liked most by actual members. We also had a vote and all members voted that it should be a lose knit group.

The group is there if you need it but

not so structured as to having people fighting about every little thing.

I think in 2 months the group has come a long way.

I am currently looking for someone who can put something together in North Jersey under the NJGA banner anyone interested?

Alumni of Cache U !